Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find ways to online stream LIVE TV channels.
My Sony BDP-S5100 BluRay player does not have any apps that support live TV (except the Yupp TV for indian sources), and the user cannot install new apps. It has a web browser but that does not support video playback, media is only available through pre-installed apps.
My friend's Roku player can play many channels through the internet in live format.

Do you guys know any other devices or smart TVs that can online stream LIVE TV (especially PBS, CNN, CBS) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
a computer

connect it to your tv

done.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 PM

There are live TV apps for android devices. There are android devices on the market like this one:
Newegg.com - Android 4.2 Quad Core Mini PC Smart TV Box Media Streaming Player 1.8GHz 2GB/8GB WIFI HDMI YOUTUBE

But the ig questions is: Can the user install any apps on these players? Most big players like Sony or roku does not allow users to install or play anything on their products, as they may have agreements or ownership of cable TV network providers, so they protect business interests this way. Theoretically an android dongle or box device could be made where the user is allowed install apps. The question is whether it already exists on the market or not.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Roku has a agreement with Time Warner to stream live TV for cable customers; don't know about others .But it streams only national cable channels.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:24 AM

Which app is it on roku that plays the TV? It seems to only work if you pay for cable TV.

I installed 6 different live TV apps on my Android phone, and none of them was able to play back anything. Error messages, black screen and so on. The Android player box or dongle probably would not do a better job either.
I already have a player for Netflix, YouTube and Amazon video, so I don't need another one. I need a device that gives me free live TV from these channels: CNN, PBS, CBS, RT. Most player apps are useless. Like sharing photos with friends, or watching short video clips from (instead of) full TV programs like Nova or Sherlock Holmes.

I saw in someone's house (I was a guest, not a burglar) that that they played CNN and PBS on the roku player and they told me they only pay for internet and Netflix.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:45 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
My TV and my PC/tower/monitor/keyboard/speakers/etc are in a different room. I can't hook up a computer to my TV. I only have that one computer, an iPad mini, and no cell phone at all. I don't have a spare laptop or anything to hook up to the TV. So, I have Directv. Since I can't do TV through my computer, I have always assumed (yes, I know) that Netflix and Hulu wouldn't work either. Any choices when you can't hook up a computer to your TV?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My TV and my PC/tower/monitor/keyboard/speakers/etc are in a different room. I can't hook up a computer to my TV. I only have that one computer, an iPad mini, and no cell phone at all. I don't have a spare laptop or anything to hook up to the TV. So, I have Directv. Since I can't do TV through my computer, I have always assumed (yes, I know) that Netflix and Hulu wouldn't work either. Any choices when you can't hook up a computer to your TV?
somewhere around 2006 i got this big fancy hd lcd projection tv

it was a beast, especially watching dvd's and bluray on it

but something was missing

i realized i needed to have a computer hooked to it so i can surf the net on a 60" screen watch youtube movies music etc

built a cool lil system, even set it up for video capture and connected the dirctv dvr to it and everything is connected to the sound system

best thing i ever did entertainmentwise... since then all tvs in the home have computers

those lil boxes like appletvs and such are cool and all but your limited

computers for this purpose can be made pretty compact if size/space is an issue

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM

Ok, for ROKU users:
-without any pay subscription, are you able to watch live CNN, PBS and RT ?
-with which app?
-there is an RT app for example (https://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/6578/rt , https://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/23353/pbs), does it play LIVE stream?

Ok, for android player box/stick users:
-without any pay subscription, are you able to watch live CNN, PBS and RT ?
-with which app?
-did you have to install any codecs or players or tweak settings?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Is it possible to find a website to find TV series and films in English online? we have some in Spain, noo need to register or downloading anything and it's free, I don't know any in English.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Roku plays discreet segments or shows through it's apps, not streaming afaik. The TWC app only works if you are a subscriber already. There are a few " unofficial" Roku apps like Nowhere TV that stream live, in low def, various news services including CNN Int.
most of these services use the "on demand" model for shows not the streaming service of channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV