Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2019, 09:51 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else started this? I like the concept and I'm curious to see where it goes, but I can't understand why, in a world where sight doesn't exist, people are wearing things that are purely decorative. One of the warriors wears a feathered headdress, why? No one can see it. The warriors paint their faces with mud - why? Face painting before battle is primarily to make yourself look fearsome to your enemies, but if your enemies can't see you... what is the point?! Baba Voss wears a bear claw necklace, why? No one can see it. Sure, people might know he's wearing it, but those are also the people who already know he is a high ranking tribe member and I assume that's what it is for - to identify one's rank in the tribe. What purpose does that serve if people who don't already know him and already know his rank can't see the identifying necklace?

You'd think in a world without sight, everything would primarily revolve around functionality and practicality. Luxuries would exist, but only in ways that blind people could enjoy - ie, what feels, smells, tastes, or sounds enjoyable. I suppose jewelry could be valuable for the way it feels (or even sounds), rather than looks, and of course it could have sentimental value, like the inscribed necklace mentioned. You could maybe say the earring the queen was wearing is there because is grazes her neck and she likes the way it feels. But beyond that, I'm not really seeing the point to some of the purely visual elements that people wore. When I brought it up with my husband, he just shrugged and suggested "tradition?" But you'd think visual traditions would have faded out of use as time went on. Am I really the only one bothered by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV