Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times

Advertisements

I stumbled across this show (on the CW Network) last week, and am watching it again tonight. Ballet West, out of Salt Lake City, allowed film makers to record them rehearsing and preparing for an upcoming performance. Part of the time, the dancers' "real lives" are also shown, but the dancing segments are the focal point and fascinating.

Is anyone else watching?

Breaking Pointe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Me! I really like it. This is a reality show worth its salt.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM

288 posts, read 717,257 times
I am. I enjoy seeing the dedication people have to their craft - with great sacrifice sometimes. I am working really hard towards something and seeing others do the same helps me stay motivated.

It's nice to see how people live and work. Also, I love the scenery with mountains in the background. I need to move to a place with mountains.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
I have been watching all the episodes. I started watching with my dance-loving daughter, but she lost interest. I like it, even though the cast isn't that exciting. That blond ballet male dancer annoys me when he tries to talk like he is so cool and hip. A couple of the dancers are so emaciated and unhealthy looking. They are older and are trying deperately to keep their jobs (Christiana and other one who looks like her). I find the two brothers, Rex and Ron devoid of personality, but I do like Beckanne and Katie, the only two who seem alive and healthy. With all my complaints, I do enjoy everything about the ballet world, so I will watch.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
Me! Love dance shows; and there never seem to be any I think worth watching (I'll watch SYTYCD, but not DWS). I like how this inside look SHOWS that many ballet professionals are NOT what the general public perceives them to be (anorexics). I also like how it puts it out there that becoming a pro ballet dancer is not only hard physically and mentally, but hard to find actual work. And when you do find work, it's a constant struggle to prove you deserve to stay with the company.

I am sad this show is only 6 weeks long though. So they said. Maybe it'll space out much longer, even though they were only taped for 6 weeks.

It'd be cool if they could do this to other ballet/dance co's. I'd watch 'em all.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:14 AM

I think Christiana and Allison might be anorexic, especially Allison.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Allison definitely has serious issues. I love how the younger girl was so calm and couldn't undestand why Alison was having such issues and she needed to act more professional.

I don't think any of the girls are anorexic. They show them eating all the time. One show they talked about how they would never be able to perform with lack of food. It takes a lot of energy and muscle.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 AM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
Absolutely (veuvegirl). It also knocks the preconception that male ballet dancers are gay. Cause in that show, so far, there's only one gay guy.

When I first started college, I managed to talk my boyfriend of the time, into taking modern dance with me (which is just a softer version of pointe), and his dancing reminds me of those brothers in the show. Which is kinda uncanny, cause back then, I thought he just looked like a geek... haha... but now I see he was pretty close to looking like the pros.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM

What do you mean by modern being a softer version of pointe?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
I am really enjoying the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV