Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,543 times

Advertisements

The first episode in the series was tonight, anyone check it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,800 times
I watched it tonight. While I hate the interplay with the Bank Of America commercials, the show is clearly another HC classic. I will enjoy this series as it makes me focus on how we as a nation have grown.

The opening by our president was definately cool. He apparently appreciates the context of the show.

Another proud day as an American.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
I think it is an amazing production. It's very interesting and factual. Impressive, indeed.

I also enjoyed the intro by our Prez and the commentators throughout are an excellent array of personalities in today's America.

Frankly, I'm also impressed with the way BoA is weaving its commercials into the stories. It's actually hard to discern when The Story of Us stops and the BoA commercials begin until we're show modern day America.

It's a great teaching tool and is reminding me of many things I had forgotten. It's time well spent. I can't wait to see the rest of it.

And, if you will pardon a little emotion here, the show reaffirms why we should all be proud to be Americans.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Frankly, I'm also impressed with the way BoA is weaving its commercials into the stories. It's actually hard to discern when The Story of Us stops and the BoA commercials begin until we're show modern day America.
I'm not so sure it's possible to understand modern America without weaving commercials for a slimy major bank in, with and under the patriotic wine and wafers. Sounds to me they nailed it perfectly and managed a perhaps unintentional but very revealing moment of complete candor.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I really wanted to watch this show, but was watching Celebrity Apprentice instead. I plan to catch up during the 'for sure' rerun of it sometimes this week. I hope they do a good job and leave everyone with a fresh understanding of their country.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I wasn't too impressed. Interviewing writers and actors about U.S. history really doesn't lend much credibility, and much was lost also with the omission of about 160 years of history, between Jamestown/Plymouth and the Boston Massacre. I was especially surprised at no mention of the French and Indian War, which cost the Brits a lot of money, and resulted in those tariffs that the colonists bristled under.

Or were those 160 years covered when I flipped over to a hockey game for about five minutes?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
I stumbled across it by accident last night - a happy one. Will make a point to check out subsequent episodes. Yes, there are gaps and shortcuts but I think they did a credible job and kept things interesting for many levels of viewer.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wasn't too impressed. Interviewing writers and actors about U.S. history really doesn't lend much credibility, and much was lost also with the omission of about 160 years of history, between Jamestown/Plymouth and the Boston Massacre. I was especially surprised at no mention of the French and Indian War, which cost the Brits a lot of money, and resulted in those tariffs that the colonists bristled under.

Or were those 160 years covered when I flipped over to a hockey game for about five minutes?
I noticed that too, one thing that kind ticked me off. They went from the first people in Plymouth, and then flew by 5 generations in 10 seconds. Don't get it, I guess nothing intresting happened in those years? Lol.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I noticed that too, one thing that kind ticked me off. They went from the first people in Plymouth, and then flew by 5 generations in 10 seconds. Don't get it, I guess nothing intresting happened in those years? Lol.
Me too. I'm hoping that they will cover the missed events and details in future episodes.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Me too. I'm hoping that they will cover the missed events and details in future episodes.
There really is a lot to discuss in your hometown alone. I recently did a lot of writing for an upcoming book on NYC, and was very surprised to learn for example just what percentage of Manhattan Island was simply dirt, rocks and debris pushed into the water--straight landfill. Even the ethnic waves that have washed over all five boroughs make an interesting study by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV