Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times

Advertisements

I would say it's a very existential show. It's predictable, but the way it is presented is original enough not to get bored with it.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but there are a lot of uncomfortable moments as well.

There are so many extremes from laugh-out-loud to wanting to shy away from the screen.

If you like the show and/or his stand up, you realize, Louie is you. He is relateable and I think that's why it is so good. He hits the fine line of low-brow and high-brow and tackles sensitive issues without being PC or offensive.

If you like Curbed (which was mostly uncomfortable) or Seinfeld (which was slapstick/w relateable anecdotes), Louie is a more serious mix of the two shows, yet still funny.

I would start with season one if you can. All shows take a while to get into, but Louie was a fast start for me.

I haven't seen the 2nd Parker Posey ep. yet. And in fact didn't even know it was her until the credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post

I haven't seen the 2nd Parker Posey ep. yet. And in fact didn't even know it was her until the credits.
Make it your business to watch! Awesome episode. She deserves an emmy. If you have digital cable then you can watch On Demand. I just watched an episode on Demand this morning.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Make it your business to watch! Awesome episode. She deserves an emmy. If you have digital cable then you can watch On Demand. I just watched an episode on Demand this morning.
That's funny. I DO watch it on "On Demand" but pt.2 was never on; in fact I didn't even know there was a part 2 until my friend told me. I'll have to check later today when I get home.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Thank you all for the descriptive, detailed and informative accounts of the show given so far. What appears to resonate so far with many viewers of the show is the fact that Louie isn't a character like Larry David who just doesn't have the capacity or compassion to take anything in life seriously.

And to some extent I guess this is what made Seinfeld such a great show too though I have to confess I could relate to George more than I than any of the other leading characters and alot more than I would care to admit in public. With a dash of Kramer thrown in for added calamity.

I have to say I love the sound of Louie. Looks like it will be worth starting with Season 1 and I like the fact that Louis is a character that people here can relate to as though there are alot of great shows around there are very few characters on TV that I can personally watch and with all honesty say I can truly relate to.

I can relate to how Larry David feels at times and the situations he sometimes finds himself up front but like some posters have already commented he lacks humanity and though I love his show I can't relate to how indiffierent he is to things like his mother's death or his personal gratification above and beyond his loved ones.

I'm not knocking it as Curb Your Enthusiasm has its own unique charm and Larry's twisted world is a great place to visit. But Louie sounds like it is more authentic and is more realistic as regards the emotional interaction between characters rather than the self-gratification tht hilariously drives Larry.

This show sounds fascinating and I am very much looking forward to giving it a try. Sounds like Season 1 will be the place to start but can anyone tell me whether the show has drastically improved in the second season or whether it was always a great show that just took a whole for the critics to warm to?

Either way thanks again for all the revealing contributions so far.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
realism? it seems all he talks about is BJ's this is humor? kind of boring to me
To say its boring, that's ok, that's your opinion. That's fine.

To say all he talks about is BJs however outs that you haven't watched much of the show however.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Thank you all for the descriptive, detailed and informative accounts of the show given so far. What appears to resonate so far with many viewers of the show is the fact that Louie isn't a character like Larry David who just doesn't have the capacity or compassion to take anything in life seriously.

And to some extent I guess this is what made Seinfeld such a great show too though I have to confess I could relate to George more than I than any of the other leading characters and alot more than I would care to admit in public. With a dash of Kramer thrown in for added calamity.

I have to say I love the sound of Louie. Looks like it will be worth starting with Season 1 and I like the fact that Louis is a character that people here can relate to as though there are alot of great shows around there are very few characters on TV that I can personally watch and with all honesty say I can truly relate to.

I can relate to how Larry David feels at times and the situations he sometimes finds himself up front but like some posters have already commented he lacks humanity and though I love his show I can't relate to how indiffierent he is to things like his mother's death or his personal gratification above and beyond his loved ones.

I'm not knocking it as Curb Your Enthusiasm has its own unique charm and Larry's twisted world is a great place to visit. But Louie sounds like it is more authentic and is more realistic as regards the emotional interaction between characters rather than the self-gratification tht hilariously drives Larry.

This show sounds fascinating and I am very much looking forward to giving it a try. Sounds like Season 1 will be the place to start but can anyone tell me whether the show has drastically improved in the second season or whether it was always a great show that just took a whole for the critics to warm to?

Either way thanks again for all the revealing contributions so far.
None of the characters in Seinfeld had any redeeming qualities. They were all self centered jerks, BUT, this is what made the show funny.

Louie, on the hand, is a sensitive loveable guy. No one in Seinfeld was loveable.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
None of the characters in Seinfeld had any redeeming qualities. They were all self centered jerks, BUT, this is what made the show funny.

Louie, on the hand, is a sensitive loveable guy. No one in Seinfeld was loveable.
You're telling me the soup nazi wasn't lovable??? Blasphemy!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
That's funny. I DO watch it on "On Demand" but pt.2 was never on; in fact I didn't even know there was a part 2 until my friend told me. I'll have to check later today when I get home.
I saw it last night. It was very good.

I've met girls like this before but with a twist; Parker's character was a bit more complex.

And that complexity is something that you won't get out of most "comedic" shows.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
I watched a half hour show about a guy puking at the thought of seeing his father and then he ends up stealing a bike,and boat and sits out in an ocean...... heck yeah thats funny stuff?(sic) what am I missing here?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I watched a half hour show about a guy puking at the thought of seeing his father and then he ends up stealing a bike,and boat and sits out in an ocean...... heck yeah thats funny stuff?(sic) what am I missing here?
Yeah, I didn't really think this episode worked. But then again maybe it just went over my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV