Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times

Advertisements

I've searched and can't find a thread on this new Starz drama. Anybody watching? I'm finding it highly entertaining action, and the lead makes some amusing comments. Blake Ritson is especially good cast as the evil Count Riario.

Clip:
In a world where though and faith are controlled, one man fights to set knowledge free.
The secret history of Leonardo daVinci's tantalizing life reveals a portrait of a young man tortured by a gift of superhuman genius. He is a heretic intent on exposing the lies of religion. An insurgent seeking to subvert an elitist society. A b----rd son who yearns for legitimacy with his father.

Da Vinci's Demons - A STARZ Original Series - About The Series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
I watched this show last week and I really enjoyed it. Sadly it is on Starz and I was getting a free week of it. So I don't plan on watching anymore of it. I can't get hooked. I really did like what I saw of it though.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
I was going to keep up with it but there is just too much to watch. Ill revisit this tv show once the season is over and watch it all at once.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
There are a lot of people complaining about the historical inaccuracies in this show but having done that myself in the past, I've decided to just treat it like one of those murder mysteries that feature real people such as Jane Austen, which we all know is completely hooey but so what. I'm quite sure the producers don't intend this to be a biography of Da Vinci - more a it-could've-been-like-this-so-let's-just-try-to-enjoy-it kind of show. And everyone seems to be having so much fun making this series!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I watched this show last week and I really enjoyed it. Sadly it is on Starz and I was getting a free week of it. So I don't plan on watching anymore of it. I can't get hooked. I really did like what I saw of it though.
Hi Tamz, not sure if you have Verizon Fios for cable, but I called last week and got Starz and Encore for an extra $6 per month for both.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I watched it, and it was really confusing. I may watch another episode or two, but didn't really get into it.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Hi Tamz, not sure if you have Verizon Fios for cable, but I called last week and got Starz and Encore for an extra $6 per month for both.
Hi, Tom. No, I don't have FIOS anymore. I moved and FIOS isn't available here. I have DirectTv now. Thanks anyway!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I've searched and can't find a thread on this new Starz drama. Anybody watching? I'm finding it highly entertaining action, and the lead makes some amusing comments. Blake Ritson is especially good cast as the evil Count Riario.
On 10 MAY 2013 LAURENCE CAROMBA wrote his review entitled:
Da Vinci’s Demons: Bad in a rather special way
The series is so incapable of subtlety that it destroys any semblance of immersion.

I have to admit that it captured my imagination in a way many of the other historical adaptations like The Tudors, The Borgias, did not.

I like the way it stays within the historical context very accurately except for some minor timeline discrepancies, yet the show still manages to be a complete flight of fantasy.

Amerigo Vespucci lived in Florence, and was only two years younger than Leonardo Da Vinci. His voyages some two decades later would cause him to realize that Columbus had not discovered a route to Asia, but to a brave new world. He was rewarded by the new land being named America (North and South) rather than Columbia as you would expect. Columbus died believing that he was in Asia.

In reality Leonardo did vanish from the historical record for about two years after his trial for sodomy. In the series he is trying to travel to the future South America, which is discussed in the book of leaves.

I thought that the writer was somewhat inventive in how he handled the question of whether Leonardo was gay and if he was guilty of the charge of sodomy. Leonardo is presented as a great experimenter of all aspects of life, including sex.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
I'm enjoying the second season despite being ever more fantastic.

See, I don't mind the fantasy because the internal logic of the series assumes that Leonardo was a superman, and that he did all these things in the gaps in history. I am more bothered if Clarice Orsini's brother was not really the Cardinal. If you are going to engage in fantasy, then it seems more important to try and get the real historical facts correct.

I do like the more aggressive Clarice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV