Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

I was out at the house they are building for me. The builder showed me what will be the master bedroom, saying he thought my bed would go "here".......and my TV would go on the wall where the loft stairs lie behind.

You know, I don't think I've watched TV in bed for the last five or so years for various reasons. In this rental house, the TV is upstairs in the lounge, not in the master bedroom nor down stairs with the fold out bed. Back in the apartments, the bedroom TV was a big 1987 Emerson box that lost its "functionality" as laundry got piled up on the bed, the space to the players in front of it got lost to furniture, and cable TV became unbearable to watch, especially during the daytime for a night worker like me.

Even when I was laid up last summer due to dental surgery, I had no desire to watch TV but instead read books.

Am I the only one who no longer bothers to watch TV in bed? I admit that I was motivated in the 80's to have life like that and did it somewhat in the early 90's, but especially with the introduction of the big wide flat screens, TV watch has moved out to those places where I can enjoy something to eat, have something to drink. Long story short, TV watching has become the home theatre, so it is watched there.

Is watching TV in the bedroom a thing of the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Is watching TV in the bedroom a thing of the past?
Only for you.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
TVs are cheap, put them everywhere!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
We have one in our bedroom. I put it on for news and weather other than that I don't watch it because I doze off and miss part of the program I wanted to see.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
The last time I watched TV in bed was when Obama was elected.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Only for you.
That may be true since as a night worker, TV at night is meaningless to me.....and during the day, I'm heaped into those who need an education or who are injured. That is, the commercials during the day tend to be for technical schools and lawsuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
TVs are cheap, put them everywhere!
In the apartments, I was sort of thinking that. Had the Emerson in the bedroom, had a flat screen in the living room, had an ancient box then a newer flat screen in the den, and at one point, I was contemplating putting a smaller flat screen where my ballet barre/dance mirror was located. It never came about, though, for various technical and financial reasons.

While the newest box, a Sanyo of say 2006-2007, is still around, it has sat unused in corner since the last move about a year ago and it probably won't make the next move. That just leaves the flat screens and while one for certain will go in the living room, I'm not sure about second one for up till yesterday, the bedroom had not been considered.

Perhaps once again I will return to my living styles of the 80s....though I am not too sure what I'll be watching.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-22-2016 at 12:26 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 12:21 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I do have a 32" TV in the bedroom so I can have the news on as I'm getting dressed in the morning. I also have a 24" TV mounted in front of the treadmill because otherwise I would die of boredom. I have a TV on my desk so I can have news on in the background while I'm typing reports. But if I'm actually going to sit down and watch something, I do it in the living room because that's where the 80" TV is.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I do watch a little telly in bed but must be honest I get tired and usually miss the end of the film Im watching.. I used to dream of having a TV in my room but have a large one and only hubby uses it for sport most of the time...

Old 06-22-2016, 01:09 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
A thing of the past? I don't think so. Doctors, sleep experts...say it's not a good habit. Whatever. I love lounging in bed with my hubby watching movies or old reruns. I don't think that's unusual at all!

Old 06-22-2016, 02:39 AM

I have a hard enough time staying awake in the lounge after having "dinner", and even harder if there is wine involved, after work while watching something.

Which is probably part of it in that TV and meals go together, but not TV and taking my meals in bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV