Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,398,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
The characters in Orange is the New Black are based on real people, the inmates Piper Kerman wrote about in her memoir. It's a minimum security prison, not Attica. Obviously the characters may be toned down a bit for tv (though I think they definitely showed a few sociopaths) but I've watched enough actual prison documentaries to know that there is no shortage of "normal" people inside for things like drug offenses, tax evasion, etc. Tim Allen, Robert Downey Jr. and Martha Stewart have all been in prison, for example. If you don't like the show, whatever, but there are plenty more "unrealistic piles of nonsense" on tv.
FYI- Kerman is not a very good writer. She testified against her former lover at the lover's trial, and against the drug kingpin. Kerman was sentenced 5 years after her indictment after she fullfilled her duties as a snitch. Her involvement in the drug smuggling, although minimal, was much more than suggested in the show. Further, her book describes pretty much the same people I described- low level sad sacks. They are hardly the complex entertaining folks represented in the show. Nothing happens in the book, so it isn't true that the show is any way representative of what Kern claims happened- which again is a self serving narcissistic version of reality. Also Tim Allen, Robert Downey Jr. and Martha Stewart all appear to be full fledged sociopaths to me- and I really like Robert Downey as an actor, but as a person?- but they are hardly representative of your typical prisoner. Unfortunately, I cannot get past "supsicison of disbelief" required for this show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,028,924 times
The first current shows that come to mind:

-- Big Bank Theory
-- How I met Your Mother
-- the new Hawaii Five-O
-- Rich Girls

...heck, most of the stuff that's now airing on network TV, especially the comedies.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
The first current shows that come to mind:

-- Big Bank Theory
-- How I met Your Mother
-- the new Hawaii Five-O
-- Rich Girls

...heck, most of the stuff that's now airing on network TV, especially the comedies.
I think I would tune in to Big Bank Theory. Maybe it would explain why the banks are allowed to borrow against 95% of their assets, but WE aren't.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,001,490 times
Maybe I missed it, but how did we get this far into this thread and nobody said anything about the Kardashians? And it's gone now, thank God, but Jersey Shore.

My wife loves Dance Moms. That woman is heinous (the dance teacher, not you Dear).

Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,006,169 times
Friends and Seinfeld. Both bored me to tears. My cousin loves Friends.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM

7,383 posts, read 5,498,327 times
Any dancing, singing, talent show, anything with a Kardashian in it, bachelor / bachelorette , Duck Dynasty. I just can't get into these shows. Almost everyone I work with talks about these shows and I can't get into the conversations. Good thing I can go on forums like this and talk about the shows I watch!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
The Office and George Lopez

Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,359,874 times
I watched "America's Got Talent" tonight and wish I hadn't. I couldn't switch channels because a friend wanted me to see one of the singers. Naturally, she was the last on stage.

I'm just not entertained by a woman on a tall unicycle catching bowls on her head, a group of contortionists, a guy who does not sing well....make that two guys who don't sing well and one rapper with a pal who tries to dance and a church choir backing him up. Weird stuff. I think I'm getting old and tonight's show aged me a good couple of years.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM

692 posts, read 1,006,226 times
Many that have been mentioned, Mash, Seinfeld, talent shows especially when half the episode is dedicated to a contestant's sob story, makeover shows that reconstruct a room in 30 minutes or less (Dear I hate my bath, you'd be more convincing if on the day you randomly find your clients in a Lowe's that there isn't snow on the ground and everyone is wearing turtlenecks and the "next day" when you show up with full blueprints in hand, permits in place and vendors lined up that the sun isn't shining and everyone is wearing shorts and t-shirts) but the show that has vaulted to the top of my list is Suits.
I can ignore the $600 shoes, $300 blouses that support staffers wear, even ones with trust funds cuz on tv even the broke characters wear $200 t-shirts, but it's fast becoming unwatchable since the absurd, yet still entertaining main premise of the show has been completely tossed out the window in favor of interoffice backstabbing, bickering and drama which would not happen at a high flying mid size urban law firm.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 PM

87 posts, read 247,201 times
Mad men... Just couldn't get into it.

The Office... Of course everyone raved of this at the office but I never found it appealing or funny

Most "reality shows" although I do find Duck Dynasty humorous. At least it's not relying on crude behavior to be interesting.

Most of the prime time comedy she's lose their appeal t me after about 2 seasons. (How I met your mother, Big Bang, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV