Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times

Advertisements

Yes they all seem to run commercials at the samr time. How it is they don't change shows at the same time? When going from one network to another we have to wait for one show to finish before the one we want while the network we were watching ended our show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,545,238 times
LOL @ nightcrawler I know exactly what you mean! I sometimes just plug in my ipod or phone and call it a day too but sometimes I want to listen to certain things especially in the morning shows and the commercials are such a turn off!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I watch TV with the remote in my hand. Mostly we TIVO every thing to avoid all commercials but I do like to switch back and forth to all three morning shows. Did the Great Schedulers In The Sky declare that all networks have to show weather and commercials at the same time every day? Seems like somebody would realize that if they staggered commercials folks might move to another network and stay there if they find something of interest. As it is I turn off the sound and close my eyes and wait for the commercials to be over. So many of them are so insulting to my intelligence and then they play the same commercial over and over again.
Um, they don't want you to switch channels and find something else of interest. It is likely why most commercial breaks are scheduled around the same time so that if you flip through the channels, you won't find anything else that may interest you more so you return to what you were watching.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Um, they don't want you to switch channels and find something else of interest. It is likely why most commercial breaks are scheduled around the same time so that if you flip through the channels, you won't find anything else that may interest you more so you return to what you were watching.
Yes, I agree that seems to be the ploy.......

Here is an idea: You know how all the networks and channels have a logo on the bottom right of the screen (PBS, ABC, History, etc.) while the program is airing? Why don't they put a logo in the same spot while the commercials are running indicating what program/show is airing once the damn commercials end? That way you have a better idea of if you want to stay on that channel or flip to the next......

Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post

Here is an idea: You know how all the networks and channels have a logo on the bottom right of the screen (PBS, ABC, History, etc.) while the program is airing? Why don't they put a logo in the same spot while the commercials are running indicating what program/show is airing once the damn commercials end? That way you have a better idea of if you want to stay on that channel or flip to the next......
Which reminds me of another irritating thing about trying to watch TV. The crawler at the bottom and the box with name of reporter, etc which takes up bottom 3rd of the screen. And they are running video of something important and all you can see is print in the box. Surely I'm not the only one who has trouble with that.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
Of course they all time the commercials at the same time so there is less risk of channel hopping....they want you to stay on their channel.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Of course they all time the commercials at the same time so there is less risk of channel hopping....they want you to stay on their channel.
^^This!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post

Advertisers don't want the logo over their ads. That is why the logo disappears when the commercials start. Many advertisers don't want to pay for a commercial that has logos all over it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
In the news business, we are rated in 15-minute increments. Plus, if we win the first seven-and-a-half minutes, we win full the 15. Therefore, newscasts often place commercials around the eight-minute mark, the 12-minute mark, the 23-minute mark, and the 28-minute mark of a half-hour program to make sure they are in programming at the beginning of those 15-minute marks, and in programming for at least seven-and-a-half minutes.

I don't know if the same is true for entertainment programming. I was at work Sunday, and the commercial log only showed two commercial breaks total for the show American Dad.
In so many words, what he said. There is a strategic method to the way commercials/programs air, and there are only so many ways you can win those quarter hours...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Which reminds me of another irritating thing about trying to watch TV. The crawler at the bottom and the box with name of reporter, etc which takes up bottom 3rd of the screen. And they are running video of something important and all you can see is print in the box. Surely I'm not the only one who has trouble with that.
I'll do you one better. If you are hard of hearing like I am and have to use close captioning, those pictures, banners, sentences and crawlers are all interspersed with the dialogue which for most shows are seconds behind what is actually being said. It's a nightmare trying to sort it all out. The news is the worst.

Even if you try to put the close captioning on top of the screen instead of the bottom it's a pain in the neck because your eyes are constantly going from top to bottom. Those stupid advertisements for future shows with the pictures make things even more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV