Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times

Advertisements

I've searched through a number of earlier threads and the opinions seem to change with technology and time.

I'm considering dumping my DirecTV for Netflix to watch TV shows and movies. I'm not a huge TV watcher, but it seems I mostly use DTV for sporting events. I used to get the NFL Sunday ticket but I think its gotten too expensive, so I just go to a sports bar now.

Anyhow, as I start I was going to watch on my computer which has ATT DSL service. Been hearing we may get UVerse in the next year or so. Are there any issues with accessing movies or shows (Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, or Justified). How does it work for HBO or Showtime series?

Are there delays in the distribution or do we download or stream?

Later I may try to move the service to my flatscreens...any big issues there?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I've searched through a number of earlier threads and the opinions seem to change with technology and time.

I'm considering dumping my DirecTV for Netflix to watch TV shows and movies. I'm not a huge TV watcher, but it seems I mostly use DTV for sporting events. I used to get the NFL Sunday ticket but I think its gotten too expensive, so I just go to a sports bar now.

Anyhow, as I start I was going to watch on my computer which has ATT DSL service. Been hearing we may get UVerse in the next year or so. Are there any issues with accessing movies or shows (Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, or Justified). How does it work for HBO or Showtime series?

Are there delays in the distribution or do we download or stream?

Later I may try to move the service to my flatscreens...any big issues there?

Thanks.
I would say that if you are currently watching shows you may have some trouble switching to Netflix. They dont have current seasons of most shows. As an example, if you are watching season 4 of XYZ show it wont be available on Netflix for streaming until season 5 is about to start.

Best thing to do is to review their library and see if it works for you.

As far as switching to a flatscreen, there are countless devices you can purchase to connect to the tv that will access Netflix.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I would say that if you are currently watching shows you may have some trouble switching to Netflix. They dont have current seasons of most shows. As an example, if you are watching season 4 of XYZ show it wont be available on Netflix for streaming until season 5 is about to start.

Best thing to do is to review their library and see if it works for you.

As far as switching to a flatscreen, there are countless devices you can purchase to connect to the tv that will access Netflix.
Hulu Plus may be better for you, they have current shows but do have short commercials. The price is the same as Netflix streaming and you can try it with your 1 week free option.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Try the free Netflix 1 week offer to see if you like it. Usually, they will not carry the HBO or Showtime TV shows because of contract disputes.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,391 times
Agree with mag32gie with Hulu Plus if you want to watch current show. Netflix is great for reruns or shows you never bother to watch when it was still on tv and now would like to finally watch it.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
I ditched Dish for Netflix and Hulu+. My only regret is I didnt do it sooner. Just do that and get a Roku 3 and OTA antenna.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
is there any way to get HBO via Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime or any other streaming service?

The last I checked, none of them carried HBO.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
You can only get HBO online if you subscribe to the channel with a tv package, which defeats the purpose.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Try the free Netflix 1 week offer to see if you like it. Usually, they will not carry the HBO or Showtime TV shows because of contract disputes.
Just to clarify Showtime doesnt make ANY shows they own available to Netflix. They are pushing their own
"Showtime Anytime" app. Once a show ends its run they make it available (Dexter is a perfect example).

There are some exceptions to this rule. When "Weeds" aired it was available on Showtime because Showtime didnt own the series. Lionsgate did.

Generally speaking though, if it is airing on Showtime today ("Shameless" for example) it will not be available on Netflix.

I cant speak for HBO but with their HBOGO app Im sure it is the same situation.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You can only get HBO online if you subscribe to the channel with a tv package, which defeats the purpose.
It doesnt really defeat the purpose. It is meant as an "on demand" service for their customers.

That said they are experimenting with offering it without subscribing to the cable channel. It is pretty expensive starting at like $30/mo. It is not available everywhere though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV