Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Sour grapes I doubt it, he never even liked his father, Lennon was also a wife beater and druggie , Julian alway said Paul McCartney was a better father to him than his own.
Julian and John reconciled a long time ago, despite some ups and downs along the way. Julian was upset by some of the things John said about Julian's conception but eventually, they worked through them. Although not a great relationship, Julian does not hate John or his memory. That bitterness ended years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Jeff Lynne sounded as good as ever. He's always been a very talented musician and singer.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Julian and John reconciled a long time ago, despite some ups and downs along the way. Julian was upset by some of the things John said about Julian's conception but eventually, they worked through them. Although not a great relationship, Julian does not hate John or his memory. That bitterness ended years ago.
Did John have negative things to say about Cynthia?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Did John have negative things to say about Cynthia?
If memory serves, John wasn't the nicest person back then. I think he did some pretty nasty things to Cynthia and it wasn't fair. I have to chalk it up to John and his ego. Also, he was very young when he died. I think, if he had lived longer, he may have changed. Living in that bubble of mega celebrity status probably isn't easy. Lots of people will say negative things about the Beatles and their personal lives. I really don't pay any attention to that. I just enjoyed their music and the contribution they made to the industry. Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic. I loved the show and the artists that paid tribute to those four guys who brought such wonderful music to us. (hope you are doing well)

Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agee 100% about Annie Lennox, didn't really work for me, I thought her vocals were a bit strained,
I liked Dave Stewart's guitar though, with capo on 5th fret, sounded nice.

Here Comes the Sun, the 2 acoustics sounded very good, with capo on 7th fret,
just like how the Beatles recorded it, though it was kinda ruined by Paisley's
non capo electric that didn't sound right for the song, thankfully he didn't play much.

Something was great, Joe Walsh nailed the tone on the solo perfectly,
he also copied Harrison's solo pretty much note for note, which is a good thing
as I love that solo.

Yesterday, Perry not so good, guitar playing was good, looked like in key of A,
Beatles recording is in F and Paul plays it live in key of G (even back in '65/'66).

Ticket to Ride, MaroonFive did a good job on that one, trying to remain faithful to
the Beatles original, even replicating Ringo's odd very cool drum pattern,
my only quibble is the guitar was a little too distorted and they could have added a
12 string for main riff (like George played on the Beatles recording).

Yellow Submarine was well done, Ringo seemed to have a lot of fun singing that one,
it was in a slightly lower key (F) than original, Beatles played it in G and slowed it down to F sharp,
the Beatles liked to play around in the studio, speeding up or slowing down,
almost the entire Sgt. Pepper album is sped up slightly.

Musicianship on the show was very good, hey what do you expect with good players
like Walsh, Frampton, and Dave Grohl
Great post, thank you. I didn't know that Paul plays Yesterday live in key of G (knew recorded version was in F). I just learned something, thank you. Yeah, when Ringo sings live, he does not sing in the original key any more, although he did for most of his post Beatles solo stuff when he first started his All Starr tours in the 80s.

As you probably know, many of the songs, even ones not on Sgt. Pepper were sliced together from different takes and George Martin, Geoff Emerick, Ken Scott, and even Norman Smith had to slow down or speed up tapes to get it all in one key or a smooth transition in tempo. George Martin usually changed the tempo of the tape on his recorded piano solos and he would play them live deliberately slowly just to get that music hall sound.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
One thing that really irritated me was when Dhani Harrison was performing the cameraman didn't do one close up shot of him.....not one.

Plenty of close up shots of unknowns in the audience, but when the son of one of the Beatles is performing......not one close up. Really?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Johnny Depp sounded the same way on the Golden Globes.

IMO, John treated Cynthia horribly. I don't think it was just the ego, it was the way/attitude that many working class Liverpudlians treated their women and the Liverpudlian women just accepted that as "normal" during that generation. John expressed plenty of remorse in his songs but probably not enough directly to Cynthia. However, Cynthia and Yoko have come to a detente. They have made quite a few public appearances togther with/without Sean and Julian. All of them have attended John Lennon art exhitibitions.

Paul's son is also a working musician. He peformed on Long Island last year and released an album with his Dad. But he was not seen on camera or performed either.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
He was still a prick .

The red haired British singer Ed Sheeran is a great singer / songwriter , he sang In my Life , kids so shy he doesn't know how good he is.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
It came in a very respectable 9th in the Neilsen ratings, right in front of the Wednesday edition of American Idol.

Excluding the Olympics which took the top 4 spots in the ratings, it ranked #5 for the week, behind NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS-LA & The Walking Dead.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
He was still a prick .

The red haired British singer Ed Sheeran is a great singer / songwriter , he sang In my Life , kids so shy he doesn't know how good he is.
Ed Sheeran is such a down to earth singer. I really don't think he knows how good he is.

I loved every bit of the show. I'm only 27 years old but grew up in a house where the Beatles were played all the time. They were the first band I ever knew, and the first band I loved so they have always held a special place in my heart. A few years ago my mother, my now husband (then boyfriend) and little brother saw Paul in concert. It is forever my favorite memory.

I have no complaints about the show. I thought it was all wonderful! =) The only part I was slightly disappointed in watching was with Imagine Dragons, they are so talented, I wish they would have put their own touch on Revolution. I think they played it too safe.

As for the children, were any of the other "kids" there besides Dhani and Sean? I think the ones that attended were happy to attend and the ones that didn't make it probably had some other commitment. I'm sure no one holds it against any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV