Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

They're getting massacred in the ratings every single night, so they had to try something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Their ratings went up by 84%, that's the reason they are riding this horse till the next major event. Plus they need to distinguish themselves from the other 2 networks which are completely committed political party platforms. Anyone else notice how they are also increasingly showing pre-produced shows based around personalities (Bourdain, Spurlock)?
Cable News Network may go the way of Music TV which never has any music programming on.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Al Jazeera becomes the go to TV network for real news?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
There will be more coverage. This morning on the news, they were saying that they're going back to their first the
theory that the plane landed somewhere because absolutely no wreckage and nothing pointing to a crash has been found.

This will give them a few more weeks of plane coverage!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Indeed - and we're almost there!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
How is that ironic? I don't have cable, so I never watch cable news stations, but from the looks of their website they seem to have decent news stories. I would think they have better international news coverage as well as being less biased. I don't really see them as being a network that has a lot of bs fluff pieces or one that goes overboard on a single news story. But like I said, I don't have cable so I don't really know. That is just the impression I've gotten from their website as well as a few interviews I heard when they were first getting ready to launch.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM

That's exactly my point: Clear, well done journalism may be outsourced to a franchise based in Qatar while US "news" channels continue down the road of political food fights & bias or spectacle... whatever holds the interest of the most viewers. Before the acceptance of the idea that market forces should decide the shape of news it was considered a public service of the broadcasters, like allowing local religious programming or public affairs coverage.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point: Clear, well done journalism may be outsourced to a franchise based in Qatar while US "news" channels continue down the road of political food fights & bias or spectacle... whatever holds the interest of the most viewers. Before the acceptance of the idea that market forces should decide the shape of news it was considered a public service of the broadcasters, like allowing local religious programming or public affairs coverage.
If you are replying to me, Al Jazeera America is based in New York with other bureaus located in DC, Detroit, San Francisco, Nashville, LA, Seattle, New Orleans, Denver, Dallas, Chicago and Miami. Most of their anchors are either former CNN corespondents or from ABC News. While it might be part of a global network of news stations, I would hardly say its outsourced news. Yes, they do have an international news hour that comes from the Al Jazeera English network (which is based in Qatar), but a majority of the programing is American based with news anchors that would not have been considered outsourced if they were on any other US news channel.

So again, I really don't see what is so ironic about choosing something other then Fox News or CNN for your news. I think the only thing ironic would be that a failing news station is able to take viewers away from the bigger leaders after they turn their networks into a side show attraction (but thats not really ironic)

Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Follow the money, the employees are in the US but it is funded 100% from Qatar, AJA isn't turning a profit. What I'm saying is imho the best tv journalism, where I live, comes from AJA & BBCA & PBS.
I realize that the people on air are based in America.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
I will watch Chicagoland tonight on CNN and then immediately change the channel as soon as the show ends because they usually go straight into plane coverage afterwards.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is imho the best tv journalism, where I live, comes from AJA & BBCA & PBS.
I'm just still trying to figure out what is so ironic about that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV