Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 01:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

I was watching the first "Man from Atlantis" movie over the weekend. Pretty good.

But then I remembered watching the TV series in the 70's and I saw how it wasn't going to last. There would be the crisis, Mark wold demonstrate his special ability early in the show, and then toward the end, we'd get a 15 second shot, perhaps, of Mark saving the day. And it would be over.

Is that the kiss of death, when the network executives want to go from the movies and turn it into a weekly TV series? "Man From Atlantis", "Battlestar Galactica" (classic), and "Kolchak: The Night Stalker"?

Has there ever been any TV series that started off from a few two hour movies, went to the TV series, and then survived the first season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 AM

735 posts, read 1,171,433 times
YUP

Stargate SG1 based on the 1994 movie. It ran for I think about ten seasons and birthed two spin offs.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Some of ABC's "Movies of the Week" served as pilots.

ABC Movie of the Week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM

It's not the same thing. We aren't talking about just one pilot movie or a source theater movie like "Baby Boom". Nor are we talking about pilot films that showed up on the ABC Movie of the Week like "The Immortal". The Immortal (TV Series 1969

We are talking about "shows" that were being done as a series of movies or two hour episodes and then some executive decides they want it as a weekly hourly show.

Kolchak consisted of two movies, "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler". There was to be a 3 rd movie, "The Night People" but it went to a TV series and died within a season.

"Man From Atlantis" was 4 movies before it became a series.....and died with a season.

Battlestar Galactica had the first movie, then it had 2 hour specials like "The Tombs of Kobol" and "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero"....but then they wanted it was a weekly TV series so in the scramble, episodes like "The Lost Warrior" were produced.

It would be like taking a character out of the NBC Sunday or Wednesday Mystery Movie, like McCloud, and making him instead a weekly hourly TV show.

As it is, I recall, there was one show at least they did that to, "Quincy" and it did last more than one season.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:40 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times
If you include British productions, "Doc Martin" had two made-for-tv films, then was retooled and went on for several seasons as a television series.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
If you include British productions, "Doc Martin" had two made-for-tv films, then was retooled and went on for several seasons as a television series.
I will accept what you say on this; I do not know this "Doc Martin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV