Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM

560 posts, read 849,740 times

Advertisements

Not earthshaking or life altering... but The Soup is being cancelled!

The Soup canceled: Joel McHale to host final show on Dec. 18 | EW.com

I have to admit I've enjoyed Joel McHale along with the multitude of guests he's had over the years. And it allows me to feel superior about all the reality TV I don't watch (Thanks Joel! ) and then laugh at myself for the ones I do watch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,751,083 times
I read about this on Tvline and was saddened, since it's the only thing left to watch on E! that is intentionally funny.

I first discovered it back in the Talk Soup days, with John "Skunk Boy" Henson leading the charge against the onslaught of trashy daytime talk shows. Hal Sparks, Aisha Tyler.....and of course Joel McHale, who will likely go on to bigger and better things...all did hilariously good stuff on a $1.98 production budget. Now E! can continue to be Ground Zero for trashy reality shows without any pesky comics cramping their (cringe-inducing) style.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
They'll eventually bring it back with a slightly different name.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times
I'm really old, because I remember watching it back in college in the 90s way back at the beginning when it was hosted by Greg Kinnear.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:23 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,733 times
I still have it set to record on my DVR, but I find that I only watch about half the episodes now. The current selection of shows profiled makes it obvious that these shows are actually paying to be made fun of, and more often than not I have never even heard of the show. Tales from Home shooping, just not funny. I think this is a side effect of there now being hundreds of shows, there is no longer a core of shows that everyone is familiar with, and even being made fun of is better than not being ever heard of.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
I didn't even watch it for a while because I had already enough TV shows to watch and it was on every single day so it was hard to keep up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I still have it set to record on my DVR, but I find that I only watch about half the episodes now. The current selection of shows profiled makes it obvious that these shows are actually paying to be made fun of, and more often than not I have never even heard of the show. Tales from Home shooping, just not funny. I think this is a side effect of there now being hundreds of shows, there is no longer a core of shows that everyone is familiar with, and even being made fun of is better than not being ever heard of.
This too...I guess it's not as enjoyable as it could be sometimes because of never having heard of some of the shows.

I like Joel Mchale though. I hope he finds something else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV