Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It is readily possible to eliminate so many options that all the remaining alternatives seem inadequate.
????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Jen, I feel your pain and angst. I'm so frustrated, too, about TV and technology.

I have no idea how Roku or Hulu or any of those work, either. I work from home full-time and have a desk top computer. I have CenturyLink land line which I need for work and for internet since Directv (my TV service) doesn't have internet. I also have Verizon cell service (200 min/mo no text) as it's strictly for emergencies only and the phone is a no-frills Motorola flip phone I got in 1999. I maybe use 10 minutes a month and I've never texted in my life. Altogether I pay Centurylink (I bundle just to save $5.00/mo) $160/mo Directv unless I'm getting MLB Extra Innings or NFL Sunday Ticket, then it's more. I pay $35/mo Internet and #35/mo phone service plus the fees and taxes and $39.99 for Verizon for a total bill of about $270/mo.

My desktop is not in the same room as any of my TV's, only one of which has an HD DVR box. The other two are in the bedrooms and are 19" on a standard cable box. I can't hook my computer up to the TV as it's an unmoveable desktop, they're about 40 feet apart and in two different rooms. The only 21st century electronic I have is my iPad mini. I do have Amazon Prime, but I've never used the video amenity, I only use it for the shippin. How would I benefit by doing the Google thing or Hulu or Roku? Would I still be able to watch my TV shows on the day and hour they air on broadcast? What about football where I'm not in the same market as my favorite team? I've been asking about these other options for over a year at the Verizon store, from friends who use Roku, online and no one can really tell me what I need to do, how to do it, and how my viewing will change. They assume I understand all this and I don't. It's a foreign language to me as I'm completely Roku/Hulu/Netflix/Google whatever/Amazon prime illiterate.

I need a slow, step by step tutorial geared toward a senior citizen who is still trying to master the remote control and how to record my favorite shows.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
????
I'm very technologically oriented, but I just don't want to work as hard as some of these choices you're pursuing require. I don't want to deal with the perturbations that saving money injects into the mix. I make a qualitative decision - eating out less, never going out to the movies, taking less expensive vacations, making leisure time activity generally be something free or very low cost - so that the limited amount of money I have to spend on entertainment can be used to purchase the easiest to use options - cable and TiVo. I can probably work out some of these other options, but it is worth it to me to sacrifice other things so I don't have to. I suppose if my priorities change, I may have to work a lot harder to be able to have the kind of television entertainment I have now, learning a lot more about new things rather than expecting them to be easy, but I rather doubt my priorities will change.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
You can't watch abc.com without a cable subscription code anyway. A lot of the stations are "punishing" the cable dumpers this way.

I have the mohu leaf antenna for my free local channels and an appletv for my internet tv. I also set up a small Bluetooth keyboard in the living room, so we can search for shows without "hunting and pecking" with the remote. The appletv icons I use most are netflix, pbs, and, youtube. There is an amazing amount of free content on youtube. If you like old sitcoms, for instance, every episode of Roseanne and The Cosby Show (and many other shows) are on youtube. I also have amazon prime, but don't use it as much.

Last edited by Debsi; 05-18-2014 at 05:24 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
You're making it harder than it has to be. First buy or borrow a amplified tv antenna, the set your tv to "air" and you're done. Unless you get a decent laptop, then you could watch movies, tv shows for free on it.
that is what i did and like it

Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Also, OP, as for "saving" when you eliminate part of a bundle: doesn't always work. I have NEVER used the phone that is bundled with my cable package (Time Warner Cable), so I called about getting just Internet & cable TV in a bundle instead. It was MORE expensive than the "triple play." Ridiculous.

If you can live without cable shows, get a Roku for your smart TV (it shouldn't need one, but my so-called "smart TV" worked HORRIBLY for streaming until I got a Roku) and an $8 streaming deal from Netflix.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:05 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You can't watch abc.com without a cable subscription code anyway. A lot of the stations are "punishing" the cable dumpers this way.
That isnt so much the stations doing that as much as it is the cable/sat providers having it written into their carriage agreements.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm being further "punished" because our cable provider is not on abc.com's list, can't use my Uverse internet account # as it is not Uverse TV. I go through a google box to stream & surf and it is "an unrecognizable device not authorized to view content".

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
an $8 streaming deal from Netflix.
Which from now on for new customers will be $8.99 per month existing customers remain at $7.99 per month for 2 years.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Which from now on for new customers will be $8.99 per month existing customers remain at $7.99 per month for 2 years. [/b]
OK, 9 bucks a month. Sorry, I guess I am not seeing the problem? That is way better than paying for cable, if one doesn't watch TV much in "real time." I have been a Netflix customer for years but recently added the streaming service (8 bucks a month for me). Right now I am in the midst of season 2 of "Grey's Anatomy," which I had STARTED watching for free on amazon prime, then it was suddenly (and without any warning at all) changed to pay-per-episode. For me, 8 bucks a month is definitely worth it (on amazon prime, that would be the cost for I think 4 episodes!).

I wish I could cut the cable cord entirely, but I regularly record programs for my classes, AND there are certain things I like to have on in "real time" (e.g. football games), even if I'm not literally "watching."

Old 05-18-2014, 07:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OK, 9 bucks a month. Sorry, I guess I am not seeing the problem? That is way better than paying for cable, if one doesn't watch TV much in "real time." I have been a Netflix customer for years but recently added the streaming service (8 bucks a month for me). Right now I am in the midst of season 2 of "Grey's Anatomy," which I had STARTED watching for free on amazon prime, then it was suddenly (and without any warning at all) changed to pay-per-episode. For me, 8 bucks a month is definitely worth it (on amazon prime, that would be the cost for I think 4 episodes!).

I wish I could cut the cable cord entirely, but I regularly record programs for my classes, AND there are certain things I like to have on in "real time" (e.g. football games), even if I'm not literally "watching."
There is no problem I was just posting Netflix is now $8.99 a month except for existing customers which it remains $7.99 for 2 years. I watch it enough that I would have gladly paid the extra buck if I had to but I don't & I will keep watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV