Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:23 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
if you want nudity and sex and you can already get nudity and sex on cable channels, why would the network channels need to add it?

Some people don't want to see nudity or sex on their TV. It's a personal choice. It's not about American hangups.

Having a choice to not see nudity or sex is a good thing.
I have a lot of things I'm not interested in seeing -- sports, reality television, infotainment, most series. Solution? I don't watch them. But I don't demand that they not be televised.

I mean, I don't about broadcast television. I never watch it. Everything I watch is streamed or on DVD. I just can't figure out the impulse to control what everyone else watches with the lame "I don't want to see that!" excuse, as if it being on makes it required viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
IMO, we haven't advanced much since the first sighting of David Caruso's ***, and that was when, 1993?
Wasnt that Dennis Franz and "NYPD Blue"?

Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I have a lot of things I'm not interested in seeing -- sports, reality television, infotainment, most series. Solution? I don't watch them. But I don't demand that they not be televised.

I mean, I don't about broadcast television. I never watch it. Everything I watch is streamed or on DVD. I just can't figure out the impulse to control what everyone else watches with the lame "I don't want to see that!" excuse, as if it being on makes it required viewing.
It's not about control per se. It's about a choice being substantiated. You say what you want. I say what I want. The tv people will decide who they listen to.

Also, you tell me to just not watch it. Well, I tell you to watch it on the mediums where it already exist. HBO, online, etc. Why must you have every medium?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The value of ad dollars is falling as well. The top rated shows get like 1/3 the audience of shows from a decade ago. 10 years from now, it'll probably be even less. The protest ad dollar losses will be less than the redistribution fees and embedded advertising fees.
Good point !! However I would be surprised if the day would arrive when we will see massive amounts of nudity and graphic sex scenes on the over-the air TV stations in America though. Between the FCC and the owners of local TV stations who tend to be conservative such as Sinclair and Media General I just can't see it becoming a reality. Now on the flip side there is radio. Now there I would not be surprised that within ten years "F" words and constant graphic sex talk would be common to hear on the air. In some places it probably already is on a few stations and besides I don't even think the FCC even cares about radio anymore so really what is stopping some big company like Iheart Media from doing it now ?? Besides if a disc jockey would say something on the air like "..right now at the airport the temp is 69 !! Ah my favorite number...69 !! Such a HOT number !!"...and if a parent and a child would be listening and if the child would ask the parent why the dj mentioned 69 is hot the parent could tell the child that the dj probably thinks 69 would be too hot a temperature to wear a coat while mowing the lawn so that is why he said it the way he did. On TV one would actually have to show a couple doing a ..well 69 !!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Wasnt that Dennis Franz and "NYPD Blue"?
They may have shown Sipowicz's butt later on, but it was Kelly's they bared to get people to watch when NYPD Blue started. ABC and Bochco leaked it through the Moral Majority and they did the heavy lifting from there.

Sipowicz's first controversial moment that I remember was when he first met Sylvia. He grabbed his crotch and yelled, "Ipso this, you ***** little *****."

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
It's already on there.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Nudity and Graphic Sex is alive and well on American TV, and has been for decades.
On Cable TV and Satellite TV.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
They may have shown Sipowicz's butt later on, but it was Kelly's they bared to get people to watch when NYPD Blue started. ABC and Bochco leaked it through the Moral Majority and they did the heavy lifting from there.

Sipowicz's first controversial moment that I remember was when he first met Sylvia. He grabbed his crotch and yelled, "Ipso this, you ***** little *****."
You may be right. I didnt watch the show but I thought I remembered Dennis Franz doing a media tour because of him showing his butt on tv.

Again thought I didnt watch the show so I am not an expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV