Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

Alfonso will not win this even though he is clearly the best dancer he will get what Corbin Bleu got.
And that will suck not only for Alfonso but for Whitney as well. IMO she has quickly emerged as one of the more likeable pros in a while (doesnt hurt that she is incredibly pretty ). She just seems like she is having a lot of fun even while carrying the stress that the pros carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
My husband really likes Witney! She just turned 21. I reminded him that she's younger than our kids! "She could be your daughter!" His response: "But she's not!" lol

Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I think they should stop letting people like Alfonso compete. He has too much dance background.

Did anyone watch WWHL? If you ever needed proof that Tom wasn't scripted, you got it. He took so long to answer rapid fire, Andy only got to ask him like three questions. He also wasn't funny at all, but I never find him amusing.
Lea Thompson also has a strong dance background and I think she and Alfonso will probably make the finals. Jennifer Grey had a dance background and she won. Most of the winners seem to have been former dancers, athletes or musical performers all of which involves dexterity, agility, ability to take direction, understand the need for extreme practice and the desire to win. They all have had some sort of theater, stage or arena experience which helps with their comfort level while performing:

Kelly Monaco 2005 Alec Mazzo
Drew Lachey 2006 Cheryl Burke
Emmit Smith 2006 Cheryl Burke
Apolo Ono 2007 Julianne Hough
Helio Casteneves 2007 Julianne Hough
Kristi Yamaguchi 2008 Mark Ballas
Brooke Burke 2008 Derek Hough
Shawn Johnson 2009 Mark Ballas
Donny Osmond 2009 Kym Johnson
Nicole Sherzinger (sp) 2010 Derek Hough
Jennifer Grey 2010 Derek Hough
Hines Ward 2011 Kym Johnson
JR Martinez 2011 Karina Smirnoff
Donald Driver 2012 Peta Murgatroyd
Melissa Rycroft 2012 Tony Davoloni
Kellie Pickler 2013 Derek Hough
Amber Riley 2013 Derek Hough
Meryl Davis 2014 Maks

The last four winners have been women. Time for a man to win. Alfonso???

Of all of the winners, my favorite female was Kellie Pickler by a landslide, and for the males, Apolo Ono. I also believe a lot of the voting is for the pro as well as the star. Many people want to see Derek all season, or Mark, or Cheryl, etc., and vote for the pro regardless of who the star is.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I loved Kellie Pickler too. I think the best overall dancer, one who had no prior dance experience and who wasnt an athlete, was J R Martinez. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried more than once when watching him perform.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 AM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Lea Thompson also has a strong dance background and I think she and Alfonso will probably make the finals. Jennifer Grey had a dance background and she won. Most of the winners seem to have been former dancers, athletes or musical performers all of which involves dexterity, agility, ability to take direction, understand the need for extreme practice and the desire to win. They all have had some sort of theater, stage or arena experience which helps with their comfort level while performing:

Kelly Monaco 2005 Alec Mazzo
Drew Lachey 2006 Cheryl Burke
Emmit Smith 2006 Cheryl Burke
Apolo Ono 2007 Julianne Hough
Helio Casteneves 2007 Julianne Hough
Kristi Yamaguchi 2008 Mark Ballas
Brooke Burke 2008 Derek Hough
Shawn Johnson 2009 Mark Ballas
Donny Osmond 2009 Kym Johnson
Nicole Sherzinger (sp) 2010 Derek Hough
Jennifer Grey 2010 Derek Hough
Hines Ward 2011 Kym Johnson
JR Martinez 2011 Karina Smirnoff
Donald Driver 2012 Peta Murgatroyd
Melissa Rycroft 2012 Tony Davoloni
Kellie Pickler 2013 Derek Hough
Amber Riley 2013 Derek Hough
Meryl Davis 2014 Maks

The last four winners have been women. Time for a man to win. Alfonso???

Of all of the winners, my favorite female was Kellie Pickler by a landslide, and for the males, Apolo Ono. I also believe a lot of the voting is for the pro as well as the star. Many people want to see Derek all season, or Mark, or Cheryl, etc., and vote for the pro regardless of who the star is.
I almost never agree with the winner. I think the voting is rigged. Notice a lot of people who score low and are unlike about stay long for drama. There's a few, but the one coming to mind was Kate Gosselin. That woman was a terrible dancer and it was at a time when everyone turned on her. I think they were sending home people who had more point and votes before her. I think a lot of people vote for the pro, not the celeb. I don't get the Derek love. He is not the best dancer. Is he a good choreographer? In the past, yes. However, I have two theories on what I consider to be his decline in routines compared to earlier seasons. One, he realizes it's his show. He gets a lot of phony praise. I see him dance around his partner a lot or do other tricks to hide THEIR flaw (which should be scored not him), and he never gets called out on it like others pros do. I mean, come on! His sister is a judge. It's basically the Hough Ballas Two Hour Special with special guests stars. Two, I notice he has his own little side projects. I know he was advertising a movie one year and this year I think a tour. He's also trained others such as Meryl and Charlie in the Olympics. Maybe he wants that stuff to be different (better) than what he does on DWTS. Think about it who's going to see a movie of him dancing if it's the same as the routine he does on DWTS next week? No one. I also think his personality is very off putting. It always was, but every year it seems to get worse. I don't know why this sticks out to me, but I'll never forget when they got a new set. He said "I'm going to the first one to go down the stairs". Too bad no one pushed him down them. LOL

Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Wow, smomma, sounds like you dont like more than you do like about the show. I accept it as pure entertainment. I dont get upset about who wins (because I've always thought that the producers select who goes each week) or who loses. Real life is too short to get irritated about a TV show.

And I do appreciate Derek's talents. He's an awesome choreographer and an awesome dancer. So what if he has side projects? That just shows that he's intelligent to be making use of his abilities and planning for his future.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
I almost never agree with the winner. I think the voting is rigged. Notice a lot of people who score low and are unlike about stay long for drama. There's a few, but the one coming to mind was Kate Gosselin. That woman was a terrible dancer and it was at a time when everyone turned on her. I think they were sending home people who had more point and votes before her. I think a lot of people vote for the pro, not the celeb. I don't get the Derek love. He is not the best dancer. Is he a good choreographer? In the past, yes. However, I have two theories on what I consider to be his decline in routines compared to earlier seasons. One, he realizes it's his show. He gets a lot of phony praise. I see him dance around his partner a lot or do other tricks to hide THEIR flaw (which should be scored not him), and he never gets called out on it like others pros do. I mean, come on! His sister is a judge. It's basically the Hough Ballas Two Hour Special with special guests stars. Two, I notice he has his own little side projects. I know he was advertising a movie one year and this year I think a tour. He's also trained others such as Meryl and Charlie in the Olympics. Maybe he wants that stuff to be different (better) than what he does on DWTS. Think about it who's going to see a movie of him dancing if it's the same as the routine he does on DWTS next week? No one. I also think his personality is very off putting. It always was, but every year it seems to get worse. I don't know why this sticks out to me, but I'll never forget when they got a new set. He said "I'm going to the first one to go down the stairs". Too bad no one pushed him down them. LOL
Well there is no question in my mind that it is rigged somehow. Not only is Kate Gosselin an example bt you also have Nancy Grace and Bristol Palin. I didnt see the season but didnt Cloris Leachman hang around way too long? Heck even this season there is no reason Michael Waltrip should still be there.

One that always stands out to me is Audrina Patridge's Paso. This got her 3 8's (btw she never ever got a score lower than a 7 the entire time she was on) and sent home but Bristol made it all the way to 3rd.

BTW I Fully get that I am not telling anyone anything they didnt already know

I have long said that fans should only vote on the bottom 3. That would keep it from being as much of a popularity contest.

Last edited by SabresFanInSA; 10-25-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 01:57 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Quote:
I agree, sounds like you dislike more than you like. It is like all reality shows, the producers control it. Those who go home, do so because the producers deem it so. That's why Tom says to the couples in jeopardy, "and not necessarily the lowest votes". So, just enjoy it for what it is ~~ fun entertainment. It's not rocket science.

Derek is an awesome choreographer. He's also a wonderful dancer, and an all-around really nice guy. He's stayed true to dance, unlike Julianne who tried to branch out into movies and country singing. Most of the pros will "dance around" their stars at some point when the stars don't connect with the dance. It happens with all the pros every season.

Derek has a house flipping project with Mark Ballas as one of their side gigs. Derek coaches and teaches as do others. Tony, Val and Maks own several dance studios on the East Coast called Dance With Me. Some of the pros do the cruises. They almost all have side jobs, so I don't fault any of them for that. Dancing's only on twice a year ~~ they have to do something in the off months. More power to them.

Sway is a dance production with many stars and pros from DWTS --

About Us - Dance With Me Dance Studios

SWAY: A Dance Trilogy - A Dance With Me Original Production

Old 10-26-2014, 02:11 AM

Wow, Marcy1210, thanks so much for the links. I'd love to see one of the Sway 2.0 shows. How cool it would be to see Meryl, Zendaya, as well as Peta, Artem, Maks, Tony and Val, among others, performing. Too bad the shows are only in New York.

And thanks, too, for the info on the side jobs that other pros have. I read once how the pros dont really get paid that much on DWTS. Derek may get paid more than the others, especially when he choregraphs group dances, but I'm sure they all need side jobs to make ends meet and to prepare for the day when they can no longer dance regularly.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:28 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
You know since some of the SCD pros have come over here and Tristan is over there now wonder if that would be of interest to Derek to go to SCD? Seems he's won this mirror ball with all kinds of stars, was about ready to quit for the last 4 or so seasons to try something else. So why not go to England & see if he has the same luck there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV