Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times

Advertisements

It is traditional at NHL games, where there are both an American and a Canadian team playing, to sing both national anthems, with that of the visiting team being sung first.

Earlier this week in Toronto, the Maple Leafs were playing the Nashville Predators, at the Air Canada Centre. The young woman who was to sing both anthems had the miss-fortune of having her microphone stop working, a few lines into the US national anthem.

Without missing a beat, the 22,000 Toronto fans picked up on the audio problem and SANG the entire Star Spangled Banner, with out a hitch.

How many US sports fans could do the same with Oh Canada ? Not many, I think.

Here is the video, from the TV coverage of the game.

Canadians belt out American anthem after singer’s mic fails : The Loop

Jim B. In Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:44 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Wow. It actually gave me goosebumps to listen to that. Thanks for the link. And a special thanks to our northern neighbors.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
How many US sports fans could do the same with Oh Canada ? Not many, I think.
How many Canadian teams are in the NHL? I don't follow hockey, but isn't it like 3-4 teams? If you are an NHL fan in Canada I would think the majority of the games you go to are against an American team, so you here the American national anthem often. A US hockey fan is going to see a majority of NHL games played against two American teams, so they won't hear the Canadian national anthem as much.

Although I did have a friend in grade school who was a big hockey fan and knew the Canadian national anthem... So maybe a lot of other American hockey fans also know all the words.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:05 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
They could in Detroit I bet.....

Old 11-24-2014, 01:21 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
I could sing it. I have done so. But I am not typical of my country. And the ugly reality is that most of my countrypeople would not have done the same, because spontaneous gestures of humility and goodwill just are not part of our national psyche.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:41 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Unfortunately, most U.S citizens probably don't know the lyrics of The Star-Spangled Banner aka the American Anthem.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 AM

537 posts, read 768,561 times
That was really cool. Canada: keeping it cool and classy since 1867.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 AM

Sundaydrive.

Actually there are seven Canadian teams in the NHL and about fifty percent of the approximately 700 players in the league are Canadian born. The other fifty per cent are American or European born.

My point was that as a gesture of solidarity, the Toronto fans sang the American national anthem, when the on ice singer's microphone stopped working, due to a technical problem.

In Canada, we sing the national anthem, as a group, along with the actual "designated singer " and the tradition is that you know the words, in BOTH English and French.

Jim B. In Toronto,

Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 AM

linda814.

At the Joe ? For sure. Its not called Hockey Town for nothing.

Tough news about Gordie Howe, and his declining health condition. Imagine a modern NHL player being able to play into his 50's and still be a scoring threat ? Unbelievable skill and stamina.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 AM

This place sucks.

I guess the words are taught in American schools as a matter of tradition, but the act of singing the national anthem, in America, seems to be an individual choice. In many cases, the "designated singer " is the only voice to be heard. In Canada, the custom is different, we all sing the words, right out loud, and with emotion, and in two languages, as well.

I served in the Canadian Forces for 30 years, and I have heard OH Canada played hundreds of times, sung by individuals, and played by military bands. Unlike the Star Spangled Banner it is a military march, to be played as if the audience is marching along, swinging their arms, all in step. It takes 120 seconds to play in it's entirety, and the first four notes, of OH Canada, are used by Via Rail as the sound of their passenger train horns.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Last edited by canadian citizen; 11-24-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV