Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 10:47 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,325 times

Advertisements

AP Reported:
VH1 stands by 'Sorority Sisters,' labeled offensive by critics; some sponsors drop the show

It was reported that over 40,000 demanded the show be pulled from their lineup.
“These are organizations with over a million college educated members, all which serve the African-American community for a lifetime. … ‘Sorority Sisters’ uses that legacy and reduces it to a perverse caricature,” said Ross, author of “The Divine Nine: The History of African-American Fraternities and Sororities.”

People are watching drama and ignorance and caricatures of "these" people. This is a time when the nation has been forced to realize, through the accomplishments of African Americans, that "these people" do not act a certain way. Then you have shows with people that curse each other out, threaten physical violence to anyone that opposes their viewpoints, and display a culture of the south where you act as if you are more successful than you are in real life. A platform for them to witness how some African Americans live above their lifestyles and income married to materialism rather than self pride and respect for the accomplishments of women evident in how you carry yourself.

I watched about 30 minutes and couldn't take it any longer. The only accurate part I believed are overinflated view of the people being filmed. Launching a line with no preparation time is beyond not being business savvy.......it's stupid. Talking about your shoe collection and how extravigant your business is when you are launching in a ghetto, under-developed shoe box location sounds like Atlanta. Burlesque show is your claim to flame? Really, your parents sent you to college for that? Don't let me start with the foolish hairstyles that are not indicative of the presentation of any decent corporate or business environment.

Stereotype TV will continue according to VH1. I for one will not be watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:36 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
"Stereotype TV" would have continued with or without Sorority Girls. We already have the RHOA, Love and Hip Hop, and have had Flavor of Love and I Love New York (parts 1 and 2), among many others. My main problem with the criticism of Sorority Sisters, which, and let's be clear here, is primarily coming from people who are Greeks, is that the criticism is often hypocritical as many of these individuals either watch other shows (as mentioned above) that stereotype or have failed to criticize other shows that stereotype (again, see above). Through their hypocrisy and silence, many of the "critics" show that they are more concerned about their letters than about combating harmful stereotypes. I, for one, am not going to play those games.

Ultimately, my view is that this is just a show, pure entertainment. People, keep and eye on your children and property supervise and they won't be "destructed" by shows like Sorority Sisters, even to the extent that they watch them. From a positive view, though, its important to note that some of the women on this show are business women and are out there holding their own. The show, even as far as stereotypes go, isn't 100% negative. Note, and this is more of a response to your other remark, every business starts from somewhere and not every business will be on New York's 5th Avenue to be successful/praise-worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV