Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:59 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times

Advertisements

In the wake of Brian Williams scandal... How is audience viewership measured? Ok I read that they take a sample of a few thousands of willing representative viewers. But when it comes to what programs are being viewed, why would anyone want to be tracked--which is practically like being monitored? Do these "sample" viewers get some financial incentive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
In the wake of Brian Williams scandal... How is audience viewership measured?
The two matters are utterly unrelated.

Quote:
Ok I read that they take a sample of a few thousands of willing representative viewers. But when it comes to what programs are being viewed, why would anyone want to be tracked--which is practically like being monitored?
Because most people aren't excessively paranoid.

Quote:
Do these "sample" viewers get some financial incentive?
At best, it is very nominal.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The two matters are utterly unrelated.
I can see how one leads to a question about the other. Williams was suspended solely so NBC didnt lose viewers. The OP asked how that is measured which probably led to "so they an tell if they really are or are not losing viewers"

As far as payment, I did it in the mid-90's and I think I got like 5 bucks for doing it. At the time you filled out a book and sent it in.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Here you go!

Let me google that for you

Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I can see how one leads to a question about the other. Williams was suspended solely so NBC didnt lose viewers.
Except that ratings do not indicate whether changes in ratings are due to any specific reason.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 AM

True but I can see how it would lead to the question.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:06 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
I can see how one leads to a question about the other..
Quote:
True but I can see how it would lead to the question.
Amen. I couldn't rep you twice. I actually can't see why someone couldn't see one could lead to the other.

More precisely, it was when I saw news that ABC's Friday ratings spiked after the NBC scandal that I started looking for answers to my curiosity. (Of course I googled before I came to this forum in case someone has first person input, such as SabresFanInSA.--thanks $5 is too little amount )

Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I am still surprised these reality shows have a genuine following where they are renewed.

Yet an excellent drama like Longmire is cancelled.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I am still surprised these reality shows have a genuine following where they are renewed.

Yet an excellent drama like Longmire is cancelled.
Very simply a reality show costs nothing to produce. Longmire is expensive to produce. If they have equal ratings you can bet the cheaper one will be renewed.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Ratings households are randomly chosen for statistical accuracy. I don't believe you get paid, but not sure. In the old days, you actually filled out a booklet, and turned it in every week. We were a Nielsen family about 30 years ago. Now it's done with a meter that records every channel and change.

As far as which shows get renewed or cancelled, there's far more to consider than just viewers. As Sabres noted, money is the root of it, although other factors play a part. For example, with Longmire, A&E noted that the viewership skewed old, and decided they wanted younger viewers (18-49, not 50+), so they didn't renew it, even though it was their second highest viewed show! Most networks want younger viewers, since that's what advertisers want. And since ads make money, networks generally follow that path. Much to the dismay of us "older viewers".

And yes, reality shows are cheap, so even a lower rated reality show can make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV