Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this?

The English Channel: Imperial Nostalgia Invades American Television | The New Republic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 04:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
"British television is having its finest hour in the United States"
Pfffft.

No mention of Outlander

Old 04-24-2015, 04:26 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Britain?... isn't that a suburb of P-town?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:10 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I think one of the article's commenters struck gold when they stated that the author seemed to have a pre-formed conclusion, then just picked the right TV shows as "proof" to back up his conclusion.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:07 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I think one of the article's commenters struck gold when they stated that the author seemed to have a pre-formed conclusion, then just picked the right TV shows as "proof" to back up his conclusion.

I treasure & delight in oh-so-many British series, yet I don't watch "the big three" (Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Black Mirror)
cited by article's author as being evidentiary of his thesis. Nor do I watch the soap operas/serials noted for having been on the air for decades.

I've enjoyed other op/ed productions from Charlie Brooker (the guy behind Black Mirror), especially the 6-part "How TV Ruined Your Life" (which is mentioned).
I've seen a few episodes of Downton Abbey, years ago when I knew someone who was interested in it-but I didn't bother to keep following it.
Tried to watch first episode of Sherlock when it debuted on PBS a few years back, but just couldn't get into it, for whichever reasons-
I was big fan of the late Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes 20-30 years ago.

One can complain about nostalgias and dystopias, but that's hardly exclusive to UK programming-
or to the present moment. I'd venture that the article shows a rather selective (lack of) perspective.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:08 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
The writer I think largely misses the point. Downton Abbey may indeed be nothing more than a post imperial nostalgic soap opera, but it's a very well done post imperial nostalgic soap opera.
He also focuses on arguably one of the least compelling episodes of 'Black Mirror', 'The National Anthem', far better the standout dramatic piece 'The Entire History of You' - hardly an exercise in yearning for a more decent past, but a satire on the timeless superficial (the smart phone allusion is essentially a device), and betrayal.
Much of British TV, in terms of acting, direction, writing (even bad television) is often just well done.
In terms of innovation it's hard say, to imagine a show like 'Peep Show' screening on regular US television.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Mouldy, you always bring up such interesting topics to this forum and thank you for making this article available.

I really didn't read it in-depth due to lack of time right now. Will go back to it later.
Sounds like another article written by someone too young to have much of a memory and too lazy to bother to do any research.

There have been British shows on American TV for more than a half of a century. They were all over mainstream network TV during the 60s. The Jewel in the Crown does anything but look fondly back upon Victorian imperialism. That is the point of the series, what a complicated mess it was back then in India. Then there was the fabulous series Our Friends in the North, which did not get a widespread broadcast in the US, but it was here if you knew where to look for it. And of course, Upstairs/Downstairs wasn't all a fond look at the past. What about the recent Life On Mars which delved into police corruption and abuse?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:55 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
^ 'Our Friends in the North' - television drama just doesn't get any better.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
The first season of 'Indian Summers' starring has just finished, I thought it was excellent, looking forward to season 2.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I remember The Jewel in the Crown as being masterful for a TV series, it may have been the first Brit series I ever watched, besides Monty Python. I recently noticed that it is on Netflix now & I am planning to revisit it & hope that it isn't in lo-def 4x3 tv like most of that era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV