Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 08:18 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

My sister called me today and said she was deleting her FB account after watching this Netflix documentary. I just finished watching it and am considering doing the same. I don't think CD uses any of the algorithms discussed in the movie, but I'm not sure. Thought provoking and disturbing. If you are sick of seeing everyone on their phones all the time, watch this documentary. I believe it explains why the phone (using social media) is an addiction. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 02:02 AM

363 posts, read 514,739 times
Agree it's an amazing film. And it's beyond just the phone- plenty of folks are addicted to their desktops, laptops, tablets, etc... "devices".
What's really remarkable with this take on social media is that they *got the actual people who helped develop the platforms to speak*. That's a first. I've been encouraging everyone I know to watch it. This topic is perhaps the most important thing that ought to be discussed right now.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:22 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Is that what the doc is named, SOCIAL DILEMMA?

Old 09-28-2020, 06:31 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Had no real desire to watch it but decided to anyway and thought it was very well put together. It was a real eye opener and will be showing my kids for sure. We have so many issues in society that could be solved so easily but corporate greed seems to be more important unfortunately.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Just watched it and am going to have my kids watch it too. I never joined FB for the very reasons that now are being revealed.

It is most disturbing to see how it's affecting our youth because there are no easy answers. If a teen doesn't have a lot of these social media accounts like instagram or snap chat they are left out socially because it's the main way kids connect. So it's a catch 22. Keep social media and you are subject to this mind control that leads many to depression or even suicide, get rid of it and you will be even more isolated and cut off. Teens do not socialize like previous generations did.

An interesting example of this is a parent fb account for a college I know. One mom was sharing how her freshman daughter was having a tough time because it seems her hallmates all knew each other and she was being excluded. Turns out these girls connected a year before via an instagram account for girls entering the school that year. They spent a year making friends and organizing roommates so that when they got to school they already had a group of friends all with matching decor. I think of how tough that would be navigating that compared to years ago when no one had social media.

Last edited by Coloradomom22; 09-28-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-28-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Agree it's an amazing film. And it's beyond just the phone- plenty of folks are addicted to their desktops, laptops, tablets, etc... "devices".
What's really remarkable with this take on social media is that they *got the actual people who helped develop the platforms to speak*. That's a first. I've been encouraging everyone I know to watch it. This topic is perhaps the most important thing that ought to be discussed right now.
Totally agree and am glad we can spread the word. I have FB and CD....and my email (which I rarely check LOL) but I was disturbed by this documentary. Hubs spends WAY TOO MUCH TIME on the Web and I suggested he watch this, too. I also thought it was pretty amazing that they got the people who designed these systems and/or were executives at these companies to speak publicly. Loved the guy with the dreadlocks, too

Some takeaways:
Turn off notifications on your phone. Get off social media platforms.
DON'T LET YOUR CHILDREN GET STARTED ON THESE THINGS (social media platforms). None of these guys allow their children to use them.
Do your own research on matters important to you (they talked about Fake News and alluded to a coming civil war if we don't get our collective s**t together).

Old 09-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Just watched it and am going to have my kids watch it too. I never joined FB for the very reasons that now are being revealed.

It is most disturbing to see how it's affecting our youth because there are no easy answers. If a teen doesn't have a lot of these social media accounts like instagram or snap chat they are left out socially because it's the main way kids connect. So it's a catch 22. Keep social media and you are subject to this mind control that leads many to depression or even suicide, get rid of it and you will be even more isolated and cut off. Teens do not socialize like previous generations did.
I get what you're saying. Years back, when cell phones first starting being a very common thing, kids were being given phones so parents could keep in touch, monitor their kids, call them to tell them to come home (LOL) and the kids could call the parents if they needed them. That has morphed into something so pernicious, it'll be a miracle if we can find out way out of if. I do think in many respects we have lost our way.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I get what you're saying. Years back, when cell phones first starting being a very common thing, kids were being given phones so parents could keep in touch, monitor their kids, call them to tell them to come home (LOL) and the kids could call the parents if they needed them. That has morphed into something so pernicious, it'll be a miracle if we can find out way out of if. I do think in many respects we have lost our way.
This is the problem and we have lost our way. Older adults lived in a time before FB or other social media so they can delete accounts without issue. But for a teen to do that is social suicide.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Haven't watched it and don't know that I want to. Facebook is the only thing that keeps me connected to my huge extended family and friends up home now that I live in Florida. The few people I know who aren't on FB seem totally out of the loop. Very few people use e-mail anymore.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:15 PM

Well, we still have phones and Skype and we could limit our social media consumption. I would especially feel this way if I had children.

Watched another documentary tonight called The Great Hack (also on Netflix) about Cambridge Analytica and its data mining related to the 2016 Trump campaign and Brexit.

It might be too late for me or regular users of these platforms, but I'm going to see how I can, or IF I can, limit what info they can get from me from my use of FB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV