Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times

Advertisements

I was baby-sitting my nieces (5&9) and my nephew (8) and it was rainy so we ended up stuck inside watching TV. I was completely horrified by the lack of age appropriate shows or just the stupidness of the ones that were on.

When I was growing up Nickelodeon was like Kids Haven. I remember watching Garfield, Heathcliff, David the Gnome, Inspector Gadget, etc..when I was younger and Salute your Shorts, Hey Dude, Are you Afraid of the Dark, and Clarissa explains it all when I was a little older. There was always something on Nick. If I was inside and watching Tv I was watching Nick - I still remember the Nick-@-Nite line-up of Patty Duke, Mr.Ed, Green Acres and I love Lucy right before I went to bed.

Now admittedly this was my first time watching Zoey 101 but it seems like a soap opera for kids. Drake & Josh is okay - seems like an updated version of the Odd Couple. But some of the other shows were just like the one with Ned Bigby in middle school? It had some cute moments but it seems like all these over dramatic shows are aimed at pre-teens, but didn't there used to be cartoons for that age group - what happened to Hey Arnold, Doug, As Told By Ginger, even Wild Throneberry's? Do kids really need the peewee version of Days of Our Lives?

We watched for like 3 hours - not one single cartoon - not even Jimmy Neutron or The Fairly Oddparents, just sitcom after sitcom about dating, popularity, rumors, drama, drama, drama. What happened to story lines that kids could follow?My nieces & nephew didn't seem particularly interested in any of the shows - they were just watching them because they were on. So I put in my Hanna-Barbera classics DVD and we spent the day watching the Flintstones, Jetson's, Droopy, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman & Yogi Bear. They laughed at every show.

It made me a little sad because I remember being a little kid and waking up early on Saturday morning to beat my brothers to the remote so I could watch MY favorite cartoons. What do kids of this generation have to look forward to...the next $500 video game system?

Okay my rant is over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was baby-sitting my nieces (5&9) and my nephew (8) and it was rainy so we ended up stuck inside watching TV. I was completely horrified by the lack of age appropriate shows or just the stupidness of the ones that were on.

When I was growing up Nickelodeon was like Kids Haven. I remember watching Garfield, Heathcliff, David the Gnome, Inspector Gadget, etc..when I was younger and Salute your Shorts, Hey Dude, Are you Afraid of the Dark, and Clarissa explains it all when I was a little older. There was always something on Nick. If I was inside and watching Tv I was watching Nick - I still remember the Nick-@-Nite line-up of Patty Duke, Mr.Ed, Green Acres and I love Lucy right before I went to bed.

Now admittedly this was my first time watching Zoey 101 but it seems like a soap opera for kids. Drake & Josh is okay - seems like an updated version of the Odd Couple. But some of the other shows were just like the one with Ned Bigby in middle school? It had some cute moments but it seems like all these over dramatic shows are aimed at pre-teens, but didn't there used to be cartoons for that age group - what happened to Hey Arnold, Doug, As Told By Ginger, even Wild Throneberry's? Do kids really need the peewee version of Days of Our Lives?

We watched for like 3 hours - not one single cartoon - not even Jimmy Neutron or The Fairly Oddparents, just sitcom after sitcom about dating, popularity, rumors, drama, drama, drama. What happened to story lines that kids could follow?My nieces & nephew didn't seem particularly interested in any of the shows - they were just watching them because they were on. So I put in my Hanna-Barbera classics DVD and we spent the day watching the Flintstones, Jetson's, Droopy, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman & Yogi Bear. They laughed at every show.

It made me a little sad because I remember being a little kid and waking up early on Saturday morning to beat my brothers to the remote so I could watch MY favorite cartoons. What do kids of this generation have to look forward to...the next $500 video game system?

Okay my rant is over
I completely agree!

If it's any consolation, a lot of the older cartoons are available on DVD now. I'm very tempted to blow tons of money on He-Man, She-Ra and the Transformers sets.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times
There's actually a channel called "NickToons" and "ToonDisney" which play the above mentioned 90's cartoons.

I decided to add the entire "kids tier" to my cable line-up since it was only $5.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
I grew up partially during the 80's. Which although a lot less PC, I feel was a golden age for children's shows and cartoons. My sis (she's 5 years older than me) and I often make jokes about how crappy the shows are for kids now.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,384 times
We watch more Cartoon Network than anything. Another good kids channel is Boomerang. A lot of classic cartoons on that one. And I agree, a lot of the Nick shows are just awful. Too much overacting for my taste. Oh well, as long as the kids enjoy it...

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,471 times
PBS Kids is what I rely on now for my almost 5 year old son & DVD's of course.
Nick is crap now. And even Cartoon Network airs some really unappropriate cartoons that seem to be aimed to older teens 15 & up.
Ed, Edd & Eddy: boogers, farts & stupidity.
My Gym Partner's a Monkey: heard to monkey say, "Yeah, there was butter in my butt" as he pulls a stick of butter out from his behind. What the, is up with that??!!

A majority of cartoons are just SO rotten now. Disney is always pretty good, but like you said, there is no story line to follow along with. Alot of shows are educational, but that gets boring. My sons LOVES a good story. I Ebay for all my good DVD's.

I don't know WHO these stations have working for them, but I could come up with WAY better toons than the ones on TV nowdays.
I would walk into their station & fire the cartoonists & scriptwriters!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,637 times
Quote:
I used to love Saturday mornings when I was a kid - there was like 2 straight hours of Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show. Of course, a lot of people now would say that's too violent . Guess it's much better to have middle schoolers stressing over dating, gossip, popularity, etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,640 times
Quote:

Okay my rant is over

I watched those same things growing up tooooo! That's fun! And about the video game thing...what is too bad for kids is the systems are becoming too grown too...when I have kids I will have to be creative..!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

I actually like Avatar. I think I've seen all the reruns. I'm not saying all the kids shows are bad, I've been known to spend a couple of hours watching Spongebob, or that all of the cartoons of my generation were great - I cringe every time I see Captain Planet now - but I remember cartoons being such a big part of my childhood.

I remember eating my cereal really fast in the morning so I could catch the very beginning of James Bond, Jr.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
I have a theory as to why children's television shows of today suck. Maybe because we aren't children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV