Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times

Advertisements

I thought they did a nice job with the special, including the very limited commercial interruptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Yes, they did. I was cruising by trying to escape from fugitive coverage and picked it up into the show. Checked their webpage:

"CNN telecast Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me back-to-back on CNN/U.S. with limited commercial interruptions, sponsored by Eli Lilly and Company. Sister network, HLN, will encore the docu this Friday at 8 PM ET and the film will encore on CNN/U.S. on Saturday, July 4 at 9 PM ET."

Fox News also aired a good special this past week a number of times called Fox News Reporting - Crossing Jordan – Escape From Terror. Nothing on their page says whether it will air again. From their webpage:

"Jordan’s King Abdullah gives Fox News Reporting unprecedented access to his life and country. Go on patrol with the Jordanian military at the front lines with ISIS and the Syrian regime. Hear the heartrending stories of Christians and Muslims fleeing torture, massacre and chemical weapons. And in an exclusive Fox News investigation, learn for the first time about a modern-day underground railroad delivering persecuted Christians into America."

Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I thought Glen was dead.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
I was glad to watch it, rather painful to watch at times. A long time construction friend of mine passed recently of Alzheimers and he was only 61 years of age. I really wish something can be found for a cure regarding this hideous disease.

There were a few country music artists who were able to get on the pop charts here and there but Glen Campbell had as successful a run on chart hits regarding pop as well as country as there could be. It didn't hurt to have Jim Webb working with Glen writing those songs. From June of 1967 to probably the Fall of 1970, Glen always had a song on both country AND pop charts. Most of those hits went top 10, several went top 5. He went through a few years without top 5 hits and them came right back with "Rhinestone Cowboy" in 1975. And came right back again with "Country Boy."

A great, great talent. Thumbs up for CNN for their involvement here.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 06-30-2015, 10:55 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A great, great talent. Thumbs up for CNN for their involvement here.
Yes, it is worth catching even if you aren't a fan of country music because it's mostly about Alzheimers which is increasing as our lifespans increase.

I don't think many folks realize that before he became a country star he was an occasional member of the Beach Boys but most importantly a member of the Wrecking Crew (google them) the most important group of studio musicians in music history. They recorded with everybody, a lot of rock records from that era has vocals by the band & the Wrecking Crew did the music, for example "Mr Tamborine Man", (McGuinn did the 12 string there tho). The recent movie "Love & Mercy" depicts Brian Wilson working with the WC musicians for Pet Sounds.

Hal Blaine, the drummer, claims to be on more Top 40 recordings than anyone else.

So to see him & some of the surviving members of the Wrecking Crew come out of retirement to play on Glenn's last album was a real tribute.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:02 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
I cried like a baby.
Glenn was my late fathers favorite singer.
How I remember southern nights and Galveston riding in his Pontiac le mans.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:38 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Unfortunately, it sounds like there is conflict in the family.
Glen Campbell's kids fighting singer's wife for control of his affairs - LA Times

Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,186,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I don't think many folks realize that before he became a country star he was an occasional member of the Beach Boys but most importantly a member of the Wrecking Crew (google them) the most important group of studio musicians in music history. They recorded with everybody, a lot of rock records from that era has vocals by the band & the Wrecking Crew did the music, for example "Mr Tamborine Man", (McGuinn did the 12 string there tho). The recent movie "Love & Mercy" depicts Brian Wilson working with the WC musicians for Pet Sounds.
I just rented this documentary on Netflix and it does show Glen Campbell as a studio musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5BCgmr7tg

The people who think the Beach Boys are one of the greatest bands don't realize that they only sing on their albums, the instruments are played by members of The Wrecking Crew.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Unfortunately, it sounds like there is conflict in the family.
Glen Campbell's kids fighting singer's wife for control of his affairs - LA Times
Sounds like the kids are scared of losing their inheritance.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:11 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
"I'll Be Me" was on again last night on HLN and I recorded it. I'm only 1/2 way through and have had to choke back tears remembering the vibrant, handsome man he was. Gosh, I wish I had known he was in Worcester, Massachusetts on this tour. I would have loved to have taken my dying husband to see him.

I learned something when he and the wife were looking at the MRI of his brain. I'm going to ask my Neuro next time if my MRIs show my Hippocampus and how does it look. I want to know if it's atrophying. I've heard of Aroset(sp) doing well for Alzheimer's too.

I'm so grateful that this film was made. Thank you Jane Seymour and James Keach! (or was it Stacy?) CRS. LOL, that's why I need to talk to the doc. I flunked my 4 word memory test too, just like Glenn. Well, I got one word right.

Back to the 2nd half. Good, good documentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV