Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,883,170 times

Advertisements

While patient sitting at the hospital ( Baker Acted folks) we were amazed at the stories from reallywonderful people who fell into various ruts, but we were always perplexed as to why such a station would be made available by psychologists and psychiatrists? Did they even care or know that their patients intake involved this deplorable crap? TV in general should not be a substitute to a sitter or therapist listening to the patient offering understanding and a caring response. Things like TV programs that are reprobate ,violent disturbing just doesn't equate to mental balance. Our entire system of mental care lacks diet, personal hygiene, cessation of smoking, prayer, building self esteem . Why? The delivery system is insane more than the patient. Adult swim as just one nutty example feeds their corrupted minds with perhaps a life long junk heap of poor role modelling, bashing Jesus, sexual undertones and a poor source of behavior they are already in bondage to.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 PM

11,171 posts, read 8,019,859 times
What we should be concerned with more are the mentally ill who are forced to live on the street and on the fringe instead of what they're watching on TV in hospitals and worrying about it destroying their minds. Trust me.. Those people are not watching tv. They're trying to stay warm, eating from the trash and hoping they don't get robbed or killed if they close their eyes. Hygiene ? What's that?
At least those people are lucky enough to be in a hospital and receiving care ( maybe not the best by your account) and they're are safe warm and get three squares a day.
They have way bigger fish to fry than what cartoons are playing on the boob tube.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,280,941 times
At the risk of sounding dumb....what the hell is 'adult swim' in relation to what you're objecting to?
As to the other deficits in the system, lack of funding is usually the reason.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 AM

818 posts, read 1,021,073 times
TV in general appeals to the 'mentally ill'. It is most certainly a huge factor in subliminal conditioning, programming and consumerism. That supposedly 'mentally ill' happen to be watching that means they have been programmed to their lowest form, helpless mental deficients. Not much different than most other popular programming really. TV is a huge waste of time and mind.

People with vulnerable and ignorant minds are programmed by television constantly.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,200,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
bashing Jesus . . . a poor source of behavior they are already in bondage to.
Wait - - Isn't belief in or dependence on Jesus something they are already in bondage to? Anybody have any statistics on how many institutionalized mental patients are chin deep in religious dogma, and wander about their entire waking hours quoting biblical scriptures and trying to convert everybody else?
Quote:
Things like TV programs that are reprobate ,violent disturbing just doesn't equate to mental balance.
You mean they should just stick to mentally balancing shows, like "Gilligan's Island" and "Family Feud" and "Maury"?

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2015 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,820,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
TV in general appeals to the 'mentally ill'. It is most certainly a huge factor in subliminal conditioning, programming and consumerism. That supposedly 'mentally ill' happen to be watching that means they have been programmed to their lowest form, helpless mental deficients. Not much different than most other popular programming really. TV is a huge waste of time and mind.

People with vulnerable and ignorant minds are programmed by television constantly.
I may have mental problems but it's got nothing to do with me watching TV. In fact I don't watch a lot of TV.
Somebody needs to pay attention in science class. If you have mental problems it is either an inborn trait or quality of life (i.e. depression stems from abuse).
Also it seems to me that NT's watch TV more than the mentally deficient ones. At the very least from what I've observed many watch TV more than I do. Everyone has watched TV at some point. Why aren't they all developing problems from it?
If you watch too much TV yeah that's probably bad but same with not getting any fresh air or eating too much junk food. It's all about moderation.

TV can be either a form of entertainment or discovery (gasp! you can learn watching TV. how about that?) or both. In any case it's not a waste of time and mind. It's a way to power down. Would you say the same for internet shows as well? Are they a waste of time?
If they're a waste of time to you, good don't watch TV but don't act like everyone should do the same as you.

Before the internet, there was TV and books. What can take a long time to learn from a book could be absorbed from the television. Personally I used to love to read but at the same time they are more just words on the paper. Actually a TV show I watched as a child reconfirmed my love of books back then and made the books come more to life.

I realize that you're talking about most popular programming (not sure which shows you are referring to) but even then it depends on the person. It's whatever they like. If they enjoy it because they do and not because it's popular then it's fine.

I do agree with the OP about TV not being a substitute to professional help though.

Last edited by Nickchick; 09-03-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 26,280,941 times
Rather than tell me what Adult Swim is, I get a message just saying "Duh" from the OP.
So I looked it up . Obviously I don't watch TV enough to know what it was, as perhaps, neither do other readers here.
In the time it took to PM me, it could have been explained.
Duh!

Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,310,349 times
I was also "Baker Acted" a couple months ago, and the only good that came of it was that I was actually looking forward to returning to my crappy life after being locked up in an even crappier place, a HOSPITAL, which is supposed to promote wellness & healing.

All I need for optimal wellness is love, fresh air, sunshine, yoga, and nutritious food.

But the hospital takes all that away and locks you up for two weeks, no fresh air, artificial lights, surrounded by crazy people, and fed the destructive standard American diet. Oh, and they pump you full of pharmaceuticals. Oh yes and the TV is on all day long. Toxic mind trash.

I repeat: All I need for optimal wellness is love, fresh air, sunshine, yoga, and nutritious food.

But these things are not available in hospitals. Only toxins disguised as trained staff & their good intentions are available in hospitals.

In my progressing adult years I'm discovering that health & wellness are only available to the wealthy who have the time & luxury to take care of their own health. Do you know how expensive yoga classes and a constant supply of whole, raw foods are?!

Without these things I am unwell, and doctors just don't have a clue or acknowlege what health truly is.

Health is not being locked up in a smelly hallway with mentally ill people for two weeks.
Health is not the standard American diet.
Health is not trash TV.
Health is not pharmaceuticals that numb the mind and have harmful side effects.
Health is not sedentary living.
Health is not talking to strangers who call themselves doctors who write notes in your medical file until they decide to release you from the hospital even though nothing has been accomplished.

Health is sunshine.
Health is exercise.
Health is nutritious food.
Health is having loving relationships.
But medical insurance & doctors don't cover those things.

When will "Health Insurance" begin to cover raw foods and gym & yoga studio memberships?? THAT is the core of health.

Last edited by Zelpha; 09-03-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 06:07 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,849,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Rather than tell me what Adult Swim is, I get a message just saying "Duh" from the OP.
So I looked it up . Obviously I don't watch TV enough to know what it was, as perhaps, neither do other readers here.
In the time it took to PM me, it could have been explained.
Duh!
You probably already know, but it's a show block that replaced Toonami in the 00s on Cartoon Network, that airs more mature shows.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 AM

862 posts, read 1,202,536 times
During the seven years we were together ( 1998-2005 ) there were several times my now-ex had ended up in various mental hospitals. Maybe things are different now but the times I had visited him TV watching was restricted to a community room and the channel selection was strictly limited to over-the-air channels such as NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX and of course the good ole VCR ( reserved for "movie night" ). None of the hospitals that he was admitted to had cable much less access to Cartoon Network. Internet access by the patients wasn't allowed and neither was radio listening either. Still remember seeing a woman in a mental hospital in Maryland having a total fit because she couldn't listen to Don Imus since the staff had taken away her small radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV