Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

We are dumping DirectTV because of the outrageous price we've been paying for it. We will be getting the NFL Sunday Ticket that we can stream on a PC or mobile device. Is there a way to stream the game on a Roku box or Google Chromecast from the PC? If so, which works the best and how do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
I can't answer your NFL Sunday Ticket question, but the Roku 3 is probably the over-all best pure streaming device out there.

I have one, and there's just so many channels in general, there's not enough time in the world to watch everything that's available for free, much less paid apps.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
When you call to cancel Directv they will be able to tell you what devices will work with it (since Sunday ticket online is through Directv)

Old 06-09-2015, 07:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
I like AppleTV because it works with iTunes rented/purchased programming, and I can use AirPlay to display programming from my iPad to my TV.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We are dumping DirectTV because of the outrageous price we've been paying for it. We will be getting the NFL Sunday Ticket ...
I thought that NFL Sunday Ticket was only on DirectTV, unless you can't get DirectTV because of line of sight issues? Since you had DirectTV once, I assume you can't be one of those people who can't get it (unless someone built a mountain recently).

For these people the cost is $50 more than those with DirecTV service. DirecTV offers NFL Sunday Ticket To Go on Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy tablets; Motorola Android phones; the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry OS devices with 3G or wifi, Palm Pre/Pixi, and other Droid-branded phones.

-----------------------------
Best Buy has very reasonable prices on Roku TV's for it's house brand, Insignia. It is $229.99 for the Roku built into the TV, or the regular model is same MSRP, but it is currently discounted $40 so you can spend $40 on the streaming stick. Personally, I would go for the model with the Roku built in. But I don't think it will help you with Sunday Night

For the first time in the NFL's history, the league will broadcast a live game online on Oct. 25 (Buffalo Bills play the Jacksonville Jaguars ). Unless you live in the Buffalo or Jacksonville areas, the only way to watch the game will be to stream it. The NFL has yet to name the online service that will stream the Bills-Jaguars game, but one likely suitor is YouTube. That should work on your Roku TV or streaming stick.

Insignia™ - 32" Class (31.5" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - Smart - HDTV Roku TV - Black Model: NS-32DR420NA16
LED Roku TV: With over 2,000 streaming channels to browse and enjoy, this Roku TV brings a rich world of digital entertainment into your home.
US MSRP* $229.99

Insignia™ - 32" Class (31-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV - Black Model: NS-32D511NA15
With a 1080p LED display, this Insignia™ HDTV delivers brilliant images with robust detail. Connect your compatible smartphone or tablet via MHL to play back stored media. Connect a Roku Streaming Stick to this HDTV and get access to more than 700 channels, including Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO GO.
US MSRP* $229.99 Sale: $189.99 at BestBuy.com

Roku - Streaming Stick - Purple/Black Model: 3500R SKU: 4591008 Customer Rating: MSRP $49.99 ON SALE $39.99

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-09-2015 at 09:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Amazon Fire is amazing and free. Their box is under 100.00 and their stick is under 50.00. Well worth it if you sub to Amazon Prime and all of it's benefits. The box is tiny, the stick is reaaally tiny and the remote is the most streamlined and user friendly remote I have ever seen; it also has built in voice. Amazon Fire comes out to about 8.00 per month if you are splitting up the cost of Prime membership x 12.

You can access Hulu, Netflix, and all of those other services, for a small fee, if you want to expand your live tv options even more. With Prime alone, the free viewing choices are endless. Prime also comes with free 2 day shipping on Amazon, free kindles, free photo service, music, and some other stuff. You cannot beat it for the price.

I ditched my rip-off 122$ per mo cable (for just 2 tvs) bill 6 months ago and never looked back.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I ditched my rip-off 122$ per mo cable (for just 2 tvs) bill 6 months ago and never looked back.
Ultimately the broadcast industry is not going to survive if too much of the country goes to watching reruns for $7-$15 a month. Because other than a few hours a year, these services only provide reruns.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Thanks for all the input. I was leaning towards the Roku box from what everyone is saying. There are some other good options as well. I have a way to get the Sunday ticket on my PC I am just wondering how to stream it from the PC to the TV other than hooking my laptop to the the TV with an HDMI cable.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I was leaning towards the Roku box from what everyone is saying. There are some other good options as well. I have a way to get the Sunday ticket on my PC I am just wondering how to stream it from the PC to the TV other than hooking my laptop to the the TV with an HDMI cable.
Do you have a tablet?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
beckycat, while I wouldn't dispute anything in the good post by Paco Martin, #5 above, I would just mention that replacing/upgrading a stand alone Roku can be less costly than upgrading/replacing a TV w/Roku built in. Or moving it to an other TV.

This is the age of options. Keep yours open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV