Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times

Advertisements

Why weren't any white actors in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 03:26 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Why weren't any white actors in it?

Let the record show that The Wizard of Oz had an all-white cast.

Also, during the time in which the original story took place, the area of Harlem in which blacks lived was an all black area.

(FYI: The Wiz and The Wizard of Oz are two different story lines. But nevertheless)

Old 12-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Also, during the time in which the original story took place, the area of Harlem in which blacks lived was an all black area.

(FYI: The Wiz and The Wizard of Oz are two different story lines. But nevertheless)
Yes, but Wizard of Oz was during a segregated era. This is all about equal opportunity. If you are going to use the original as an argument, you can't then go on to say they're two diff story lines.

Mother Abbess was a black woman in the Austrian Abbey in the original, yet she was in the live version.

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
The original Broadway version was pretty raunchy - the updated version of Grease that came out after the movie was tamer, so maybe that will be what they follow?
Yeah, I saw the orginal version in Chicago. I mean the exact original straight from Broadway. I remember the elderly couple sitting next me friends and me. Before the show, they told us they were very exited have driven up all the way from some small town in Illinois (I forget which) for dinner and an real live show. During the first half, I could here them gasping at the raunchy parts.

They left their seats during intermission and never came back. Good thing because it got raunchier.

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Right, why wouldn't the Wiz have an all black cast?

How many people sat and watched stuff like Seinfeld or Friends and never once thought, how do these people live in one of the most diverse cities in the world and rarely encounter any people of color?

Old 12-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, why wouldn't the Wiz have an all black cast?

How many people sat and watched stuff like Seinfeld or Friends and never once thought, how do these people live in one of the most diverse cities in the world and rarely encounter any people of color?
I thought it all the time.

Kenneth Branagh casts any race for his Shakespearean films, yet they weren't written for people of color (for the most part).

Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Yes, but Wizard of Oz was during a segregated era. This is all about equal opportunity. If you are going to use the original as an argument, you can't then go on to say they're two diff story lines.

Mother Abbess was a black woman in the Austrian Abbey in the original, yet she was in the live version.

It's only an issue when white folks are left out. How does it feel?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
The Wiz just doesn't appeal to me at all. But I would like to see Ne-Yo.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It's only an issue when white folks are left out. How does it feel?
I'm white?

Old 12-04-2015, 05:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
A ghetto version of "The Wizard of Oz"? No thanks. Leave the classics alone.
New Kids on the Block is a white version of the singing group New Edition. The manager that created NE thought he'd make an all white copycat and gathered some kids from the mean streets of Boston where he found the first group. Being that both groups were raised in the inner city, I wonder which one you'd label as ghetto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV