Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:05 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing Steve Lawrence make an appearance on the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson was still the host. He did a song, and when he came over to talk, Johnny Carson mentioned that he wished that he could just belt out a song like that. Lawrence said something along the lines of, "Well, it's your show, go ahead."

Carson was reluctant to do it, but Lawrence and Ed McMahon cajoled/goaded him into doing it. Carson went to center stage and sang the same tune that Lawrence had just performed. He wasn't that bad, although he was clearly uncomfortable about doing it.

I don't recall ever seeing Steve Lawrence on the Tonight Show again after that.

Does anybody else remember seeing that show, and does anybody know if Carson refused to have him back on the show because of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Try to Google or youtube the episode. Hopefully you will be able to find it. Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2016, 06:48 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't need to see the show where Lawrence appeared. I remember it clearly. What I'd like to know about is its aftermath - whether or not he ever appeared on the Tonight Show again, and, if not, was it because of his having "persuaded" Carson into singing.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I remember seeing him in the early 90's on Carson.

So, don't know what timeframe the show you're talking about happened, but.. Don't think he was banned.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
In a quick search I found an LA times article that said Steve and Eydie were among carsons top 10 most frequent guests - appeared 86 times. I remember them being fixtures there. I think IMDB and Wikipedia have articles listing guests by year - maybe that would help?

Old 07-09-2016, 05:10 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I love IMBD and use it almost daily but it is not overly accurate at times. I went to Steve Lawrence's page and it only shows him appearing:
4 times on Johnny Carsons version of the Tonight Show. 1966,1977,1982
5 times on Jack Paar's version, all in 1962.
2 times on Jay Leno's version in 1994,1995

so it would seem to me a ton of his appearances are not listed.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I love IMBD and use it almost daily but it is not overly accurate at times. I went to Steve Lawrence's page and it only shows him appearing:
4 times on Johnny Carsons version of the Tonight Show. 1966,1977,1982
5 times on Jack Paar's version, all in 1962.
2 times on Jay Leno's version in 1994,1995

so it would seem to me a ton of his appearances are not listed.
Yes agreed - I checked out imdb after I posted here and found the same as you. Not sure he even showed up on tonight show list - just Eydie and only a handful of times listed. Odd. The la times article seems more accurate in that regard.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,752 times
IMDB for Steve's page has him appearing on Carson's Tonight Show 24 times including 12 times as a guest host. I myself attended the November 3, 1969 show when Steve was a guest host.

See Steve's IMDB page under "Self"

Old 11-09-2016, 11:48 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I remember seeing Steve Lawrence make an appearance on the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson was still the host. He did a song, and when he came over to talk, Johnny Carson mentioned that he wished that he could just belt out a song like that. Lawrence said something along the lines of, "Well, it's your show, go ahead."

Carson was reluctant to do it, but Lawrence and Ed McMahon cajoled/goaded him into doing it. Carson went to center stage and sang the same tune that Lawrence had just performed. He wasn't that bad, although he was clearly uncomfortable about doing it.

I don't recall ever seeing Steve Lawrence on the Tonight Show again after that.

Does anybody else remember seeing that show, and does anybody know if Carson refused to have him back on the show because of it?
I don't remember that at all. What I remember is that everybody was always nagging Johnny to sing, and he never wanted to. But somehow he got cajoled into finally doing it. They made a big funny production out of it, it was announced days ahead of time, and without googling it I can't remember what he sang but I think it was a love ballad. For some reason, I'm picturing him on a horse. As I recall, he started off doing it straight but then just into a silly voice. I know he was introverted, and I wonder if he just had to revert to comedy because he was not confident in his singing (though I think he did have a good voice).

Now I will have to go double-check my memory. Maybe it's the same Steve Lawrence episode but I definitely don't remember it being an off-the-cuff thing.

I don't remember hearing anything about Lawrence being banned, so sorry I can't help there.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
My favorite Johnny Carson singing performance was "Our Love Is Here To Stay" with Pearl Bailey.

https://youtu.be/EHfnf-tEBoo?t=4m54s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV