Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times

Advertisements

.... and parallels? Should one desire to think, it could help.

Prohibition: About the Series | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Looks like another great Ken Burns documentary, I'll be sure to check it out.

Quote:
Prohibition turned law-abiding citizens into criminals, made a mockery of the justice system, caused illicit drinking to seem glamorous and fun, encouraged neighborhood gangs to become national crime syndicates, permitted government officials to bend and sometimes even break the law, and fostered cynicism and hypocrisy that corroded the social contract all across the country. With Prohibition in place, but ineffectively enforced, one observer noted, America had hardly freed itself from the scourge of alcohol abuse – instead, the "drys" had their law, while the "wets" had their liquor.
And the US continues to refuse to learn from its recent past.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

13,652 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Yea I am with-- God help me-- GregW and Floridabob here. Prohibition was a massive disaster. There was more boozing during Prohibition than now.

Imagine the insanity of banning beer. Well we need not imagine it as we tried it.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Parallels?
Sure, the wars on drugs, lifestyles, transportation choices, food, guns and on and on....

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
FWIW - John Hancock, flagrant signer of the Declaration of Independence, was very successful at smuggling tea from the Dutch to the American colonials around the British Tea company’s monopoly. It is said the Kennedy family’s fortune was vastly increased by supplying good Scotch to New England’s upper crust during those days.

I wonder how many of our current fortunes are based on smuggling illicit drugs. That would be an interesting thing for the Federal Justice Department to Investigate. Following that money trail would not be very popular.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
kgirl - have you ever used the still. I have concentrated apple wine into applejack by repeated freezing and filtering.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
I can't wait to see it. I understand the auto industry, for obvious reasons, pushed for it. I have read plenty about "the noble experiment," but maybe this will shed new light on the issue. Perhaps it passed because anyone opposing it would be branded a drunk.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM

753 posts, read 843,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Prohibition IS a massive disaster.
Fixed it for you! We still have it and it's still a disaster.

Thanks for posting this. I've set my DVR!

Last edited by PcolaFLGuy; 09-30-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - John Hancock, flagrant signer of the Declaration of Independence, was very successful at smuggling tea from the Dutch to the American colonials around the British Tea company’s monopoly. It is said the Kennedy family’s fortune was vastly increased by supplying good Scotch to New England’s upper crust during those days.

I wonder how many of our current fortunes are based on smuggling illicit drugs. That would be an interesting thing for the Federal Justice Department to Investigate. Following that money trail would not be very popular.

I was going to mention that fact of how Papa Joe made his fortune. Yes, totally true. The Kennedy clan's fortune came from "rum running" even though it was scotch.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
kgirl - have you ever used the still. I have concentrated apple wine into applejack by repeated freezing and filtering.
We set it up about 10 years ago and ran a batch through it to make sure it worked.....we are raising a patch of corn right now with the intent to make some shine, we built a still house last year.
Federal law lets you make up to 400 gallons a year for personal consumption, so we will see how it goes.....my real wish is that I could grow some decent grapes to make wine with, but all we can grow here is nasty muscadines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV