Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:05 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Philo has a great list of channels!! I would consider giving up my DirecTV for that ... but I would need a way to record the local channels on a DVR. I can't manage to watch shows when they are on. Is there a DVR you can use with an antenna?
I think you need Philo with something else. "Over the Air" television with a DVR or Netflix or HBO Now or Hulu.

Hulu $12 video on demand library without commercials may give you everything you are recording with an Over the Air DVR (except sports).

Channel Master DVR+
TiVo Roamio OTA
Tablo 4

Channel Master DVR $249 doesn't have a monthly subscription fee
https://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Pl...m-7500gb16.htm

TiVo Roamio OTA
https://www.tivo.com/shop/ota-detail

Tablo 4
https://www.tablotv.com/products/tablo-4-tuner-ota-dvr/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 10:00 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
When Philo is able to be played on the Fire Stick, I'll try it. Hopefully, they'll get it sooner than later.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Priced at 52.6 cents per day which includes DVR service and up to 3 streams at once, Philo is the cheapest Live TV streaming service on the market. But don't expect miracles for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
When Philo is able to be played on the Fire Stick, I'll try it. Hopefully, they'll get it sooner than later.
Philo is currently available on: Mac and PC on a web browser, Apple iPhone and iPad (running iOS 9 or newer), Android phones and tablets (running 5.0 or newer), and Roku (more devices coming soon).

I imagine it will be on Fire stick within a few months. This is a product meant for wide consumption.

To repeat, most of the popular sports, TV series, or movies are from 21st Century Fox, Disney, COMCASTs NBC/Universal or Time Warner. Philo TV does not include anything from these companies.

Philo is mostly lifestyle networks or older movies. It does have slightly more intellectual shows on IFC or Sundance.
=================
Hulu Live TV service starts at $39.99/month (2.5X price of Philo TV) You can expect more options at much higher price.

Watch Live TV online and on iOS, Android, Roku, Fire TV & Fire Stick, Apple TV (4th gen), Chromecast, and Xbox One & Xbox 360 – more devices coming soon
Stream 50+ top Live and On Demand TV channels including sports, news, and entertainment
Get unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library (Limited Commercials plan) with full seasons of exclusive series, hit movies, Hulu Originals, kids shows, and more
Watch on 2 screens at the same time
Record Live TV with 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage

Pay extra for:
Feature Add-ons
Enhanced Cloud DVR
Unlimited Screens

========================================
The 58 hulu Live TV channels and the 37 Philo TV channels do have 9 channels in common
  1. Travel
  2. Food Network
  3. HGTV
  4. A&E
  5. The History Channel
  6. Lifetime
  7. Lifetime Movie Network
  8. Viceland
  9. FYI

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-22-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Philo has a great list of channels!! I would consider giving up my DirecTV for that ... but I would need a way to record the local channels on a DVR. I can't manage to watch shows when they are on. Is there a DVR you can use with an antenna?
If you have a Window 7 laptop or desktop, you can turn it into a DVR with either a USB TV tuner or something I have been using for five years -- a HDHomerun Dual tuner. When coupled with a laptop, this is the most compact and inexpensive solution I have used. It can be used with the latest version of window too. A download is needed to enable Window Media Center in Window 10.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hdhomer...?skuId=8548038

Old 11-23-2017, 07:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I wish my husband would consider dropping UVerse cable--and just go to an Internet/wi-fi source
We could drop the house phone--get that number bounced to our cells--and likely drop our costs in half or better...
We have 2 homes and gone for 2-3 mo at a time from the other but have same cable bill...

Old 11-23-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I wish my husband would consider dropping UVerse cable--and just go to an Internet/wi-fi source
We could drop the house phone--get that number bounced to our cells--and likely drop our costs in half or better...
We have 2 homes and gone for 2-3 mo at a time from the other but have same cable bill...
This comparison of the services may help you convince your husband
https://www.att.com/tv/

Bottom line is the app will never go up in price and it is not tied to the house. There are fewer channels, but you need to do a quick comparison if you are watching those extra channels. Unfortunately, I don't know a website that compares the list of channels easily.

DIRECTV NOW Stream 60+ live channels.$35/mo. plus taxes forever
Watch via DIRECTV NOW app.
No satellite or cable box needed.

DIRECTV 150+ live channels.$35/mo. Plus taxes. For 12 mos.
Stream live and recorded shows with the DIRECTV app.
Record up to 5 shows at once with Genie HD DVR®.
Exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

U-VERSE TV 200+ channels and apps.$35/mo. Plus taxes. For 12 mos.
Stream shows and movies with the U-verse app.
Record up to 4 shows at once with Total Home DVR®.

In the long run the streaming packages are much cheaper. You can also easily add a package for one month (often a free month) and start and stop it depending on how you feel that month. Try Netflix for one month. Try Philo for one month. Try HBO Now for one month.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times
I’ve been using Philo for almost a week, and I love it so far. I became aware of FILO just in time to replace Playstation Vue, that just went up to $40 a month. I already have antennas for local stations

Old 12-01-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I’ve been using Philo for almost a week, and I love it so far. I became aware of FILO just in time to replace Playstation Vue, that just went up to $40 a month. I already have antennas for local stations
Variety ran an article about "affiliate fees" that networks are paid by cable companies. The affiliate fees that these four smaller media companies earn is $8.11 for 33 out of 37 stations. The remaining four channels are not on the list provided by Variety.

So by watching Philo TV for $16 you are paying roughly $7 in overhead. Traditional cable TV now costs more than $100 and most streaming services for Live TV are roughly $40.

I like the fact that they have some channels with shows and movies (mostly the AMC channels). the original concept was just going to be VIACOM and DISCOVERY/SCRIPPS and would cost about $10. They decided to include AMC plus A&E.

$1.15 ... AMC
$0.50 AMC
$0.22 IFC
$0.16 WE TV
$0.16 Sundance TV
$0.11 BBC America
????? BBC World News

$3.53 ... VIACOM
$0.78 Nickelodeon
$0.57 MTV
$0.50 Spike
$0.27 BET
$0.27 Nick Jr
$0.27 VH1
$0.26 Comedy Central
$0.21 TV Land
$0.17 Teen Nick
$0.14 CMT
$0.09 MTV2

$2.15 ... DISCOVERY & SCRIPPS
$0.44 Discovery Channel
$0.25 TLC
$0.23 HGTV
$0.25 OWN
$0.22 Food Network
$0.15 Velocity
$0.15 Travel
$0.14 Animal Planet
$0.11 Investigation Discovery
$0.11 DIY
$0.10 Science

$1.28 ... Arts and Entertainment
$0.36 Lifetime
$0.33 A&E
$0.30 The History Channel
$0.12 FYI
$0.11 Lifetime Movie Network
$0.06 Viceland

????? AXS TV ~ live music events, as well as comedy, movies, and mixed martial arts
????? Cheddar ~ Financial News for Millenials
????? GSN ~ Game Show Networks

Philo TV is also good for people who just want some television for their phones. But I suspect that most people that purchase Philo TV have some other source of Video (Antenna, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now).

In comparison Disney's "affiliate fees" from cable companies are $13 for all their channels. You can see why ESPN has been called the most valuable media property in the world. At one point analysts have said that ESPN was worth $50 billion.
$7.86 ESPN
$0.98 ESPN2
$0.29 ESPNews
$0.25 ESPNU
$0.26 ESPN Deportes
$0.25 ESPN Classic
$0.74 SEC Network
$0.34 Freeform
$0.23 Disney XD
$0.19 Disney Junior
$1.61 Disney Channel
$13.00

But ESPN's profitability has peaked. Marvel comics and Star Wars are rapidly becoming their most valuable properties.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-01-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-01-2017, 09:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Well. I can't get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, ION, or MNT on an antenna. Only PBS.

If I did, then I would probably be happy with supplementing with Netflix and online VOD.
Philo doesn't give you those. Do you not care if you miss regular broadcast shows?

I think a better OTA antenna you would get more stations. I get so many with a cheap, indoor antenna due to proximity to broadcast signals.

Channel Master, I believe, has you input your address and help find the correct one.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Channel Master has one. I have CM's cheapest antenna, $10, but of course no recording. I pay for Hulu to watch most broadcast stations shows and some other basic cable shows. I don't think I'd want to pay $250 for a DVR for live TV OTA. Hulu also has original programming I would miss. And NO COMMERCIALS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV