Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:32 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Have we just completely run out of new ideas?
Networks don't write television series.

They hear pitches for ideas. They hear countless pitches. For every pilot ordered, hundreds if not thousands of ideas are rejected. They probably hear more ideas than ever, due both to the electronic age when it is easier to write as well as the fact that today, ideas that no network would ever have touched are acceptable, such as main characters who are mob bosses or serial killers or meth kingpins. Networks are awash in all sorts of ideas, many of them new and esoteric and innovative.

Networks sometimes go with remakes because the brand is already established. Series are always crapshoots. No one knows what is going to work and what isn't. Who saw Breaking Bad becoming what is was? Or a series about Madison Avenue advertising in the 1960s? Or the juggernaut that Seinfeld became?

So when an idea is pitched that is proven to get ratings, and which already has an audience of tens of millions that likes it, that holds a lot of sway with executives, who are running a business. Success in television is viewers, not new ideas. And it's always been that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
I kind of like the idea of continuations. U.S. TV was pretty rigid in the past, requiring so many episodes a season and a new season every Fall. It is nice to take a break and then come back when the creativity may have struck to see how the lives of the characters have evolved. This is the second reboot I am interested in, as I didn't watch the other rebooted shows originally. I will give it a shot. I don't see anything wrong with watching older actors. There should be a lot of material to explore with the current state of journalism and politics.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
revival cast photo......dont look half bad to me

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhN0x_PF...ged_in_control

Old 04-18-2018, 04:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
huh???? I have every season and have watched them all.........when did an affair happen???
Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think there was a cliff hanger when Murphy got pregnant, and nobody knew who the father was. At that point Eldon was in the mix, so I guess that’s what I was thinking.
Eldin was NEVER considered to be the father, they never had an affair and it was never implied.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
revival cast photo......dont look half bad to me

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhN0x_PF...ged_in_control
They all look great and thankfully haven't indulged or given into nip tucking into being unrecognizable like most.

BTW, I think Murphy should be written with added personal struggle. You know, conflicted by age/fear/experience, and also the propensity most of us have of becoming more conservative and careful with age.

It would be really funny if she changed her tune on at least a few things, and because of it is constantly reminded by her adult child of her more liberal days.

Both political parties and idiosyncrasies were represented on Roseanne, and I thiink is what made the Roseanne reboot so popular. I think that could/should be played with/explored on MB as well.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I'm reading that Murphy will be hosting a morning show, which will most certainly mean she'll have changed in some ways. Morning news shows are more fluffy, less confrontational. Diane English would not have shifted Murphy to that setting if she had not wanted to shift Murphy's interactions somewhat. Given how hilariously bad Murphy was as a morning fill-in host in one of the (original) classic episodes, I'm curious. Actually, the curiosity factor is what might get me to sample it--to see how they explain what happened to FYI, how everyone's careers progressed since we last saw them, what happened to Jim ( ), etc. I love those characters. The subject matter? Ehhh, I hope they will try to balance the jokes and criticism on both sides. If they don't, I'll have to live with good memories.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Corky has somehow become the 2010's version of Murphy, slicing and dicing lying politicians live on the air and striking fear into every secretarial temp agency in Washington?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:46 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Candace Bergen has GOT to be in her 70s. If this show is to be accurate, her character should be retired. It's hard enough for an on-air female journalist to keep working into her 50s.

Well, I just looked it up and was surprised to find that journalist Lesley Stahl is 76 and still working (60 Minutes), and Andrea Mitchell (still at NBC) and Judy Woodruff (PBS) are both 71. So I guess it would be possible for Murphy Brown to still be a working journalist. Bergen is 71.
Look up “ Dorothy Fuldheim “. She was a newscaster in Cleveland who worked into her 90s.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 PM

It would be foolish for them not to address this (age) issue. Heck, they addressed it in the original run and MB was depicted as only being early 40s, though it was more...subtle? like when they would try to push Corky into interviews Murphy wanted to do simply because The Network (it was never called "CBS," it was always "The Network") thought viewers would prefer seeing a "younger face" (even if it was attached to a rather dim bulb). They also tried to replace Jim Dial with that airhead Miller Redfield and it backfired spectacularly. Now, even 'youngster' Corky would be up against the age issue. Heck, even Miles would be considered a 'senior statesman' in the newsroom these days.

I guess they saw Jane Pauley (age 67) hosting Sunday Morning and got the idea that Murphy could be doing something similar. To which I ask, "Have ya met Murphy Brown??" She was many things, but I doubt Jane Pauley got banned from the White House by eight (perhaps nine) presidents!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 PM

18,095 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I'm so hoping they revive Murphy calling Miles "you little Pisher!" Never failed to make me rofl!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM

I'm estimating she ought to have gone through 825 or 830 secretaries by now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV