Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

In FL and the local PBS station started English series about the spy masters under Elizabeth I
The first episode was Sunday and revolved around Mary Queen of Scots and the involved conspiracies to kill Elizabeth...
Couple of interesting points I guess I had not heard/gotten from other things I have read or seen was ----
1--Elizabeth's use of the printing press which made its entry during her father's era to publish numerous and varied portraits of herself...so that the common people could have a photo to venerate in their homes-
Much as Catholics could do with the Virgin Mary statues---in Catholic countries

Easier and cheaper to just print many copies of the Virgin Queen who was protecting Englad's people to instill a worshipping attitude from the masses who couldn't necessarily read even if they enjoyed the witticisms in Shakespeare's plays and other "social" media of the time

2--the spin Cecil, her first spymaster, used to bring the complicit plotting of Elizabeth's "cousin" the powerful/rich Duke of Norfolk to assinate her
Elizabeth saw proof of his guilt but refused to sign the death warrant
Cecil had pamphlets printed anonymously that were spread to the general populace who clammored for his execution---forcing Elizabeth to give the order and have him beheaded...
Show called it first use of published "spin"---
Don't know how accurate historically that is but was interesting to see how going to the masses could be used to motivate a born-to-rule monarch to take action s/he didn't really want to to placate the subjects rules...
Or maybe just gave her justification to do something other nobles might have felt threaten by---since it is fairly easy to develop "proof" of plots when you use torture to compel testimony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
pretty accurate from my readings. Elizabeth was blessed with time to plan how to reign and rule and developed a good support system from the masters Cecil and Walsingham.

I will watch this series with interest when it comes on my local channels.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Sounds interesting, thanks.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM

It was interesting to me but not lot of reenactment moments
Mainly talking heads from England giving their bits and pieces about how the Cecils and Walsingham had created the first MI5--sort of...
But based on this first episode there will likely be one or two specifics each time that give some background insight I wasn't familiar with--
I have read a good bit of English history and fiction about many eras and Elizabeth comes from such an interesting line and reigned such a long time, I always enjoy discovering something new...
If anyone is interested in this series, have you also read the historical novels based her true cousin Sir Robert Carey written by P F Chisholm or the Francis Bacon mysteries by Anna Castle?

And while I know the Cecils were her spymasters for decades--
This wasn't really the first instance a monarch created or benefitted from a spy network
I imagine Alexander the Great, the Pharoes, and after Elizabeth, the Louies in France or Napoleon after them--any monarch with the IQ and means - would have tried to do something similar

Old 01-29-2018, 07:10 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I found it interesting. I guess Cecil was like her Chief of Staff.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 PM

That and the DNI combined

Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Thanks for this. I'll look for it on my PBS. I recently read "The Marriage Game" about Elizabeth I's manipulations and machinations for selfish and political gain while retaining her virginous self. Whether she truly remained so is debatable and subject to interpretation from what I've read. Next up I have Margaret George's "Elizabeth I" so I'm hoping PBS runs this soon so I can incorporate the whole story in my mind. I haven't read the books you mentioned but I'll add them to my list.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:49 AM

This show is available on the PBS streaming app I have on my Roku
So you if you have Roku and want to see it now, might look there
Or just PBS online
Some stations don't pick up the same shows that other stations do...

Old 01-30-2018, 06:12 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I saw part of it but I got a bit bored from the way this topic was presented. I thought it would be a drama series rather than just people talking about their findings on the subject.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This show is available on the PBS streaming app I have on my Roku
So you if you have Roku and want to see it now, might look there
Or just PBS online
Some stations don't pick up the same shows that other stations do...
Thanks! I don't have Roku but can do it online for sure. Why didn't I think of that???!! Another "duh" moment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV