Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:29 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

I was watching reruns of H5O on MeTv and the episodes had no teaser. They were seasons 5-6. It just starts with the famous opening titles.

Did that show never have teasers? What's going on? Every hour drama I can think of, had a teaser and then the opening titles.

BTW I just saw the episode "One Big Happy Family." There was a hilarious character who was introverted and was obsessed with a phone book cover. Do you know that character's name? I couldn't tell from the imdb page.

I can't resist adding this, but I hate the opening titles of the reboot series. They used a white glaring effect when you go from one shot to the next. I don't like the reboot series in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
That is called a "cold opening" where the show starts and the opening credits come later. I dont remember the original but it is possible that they clipped off the opening for time connstraints since the running time of 60's/70's shows is longer than it is now. There were less commercials back then.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I was watching reruns of H5O on MeTv and the episodes had no teaser. They were seasons 5-6. It just starts with the famous opening titles.

Did that show never have teasers? What's going on? Every hour drama I can think of, had a teaser and then the opening titles.

BTW I just saw the episode "One Big Happy Family." There was a hilarious character who was introverted and was obsessed with a phone book cover. Do you know that character's name? I couldn't tell from the imdb page.

I can't resist adding this, but I hate the opening titles of the reboot series. They used a white glaring effect when you go from one shot to the next. I don't like the reboot series in general.

the actress who played the introvert girl with the glass is named lynette kim .the mother was played by Barbara baxley and the father was slim pickens a fave of my dads . bo Hopkins played Jed their son .

Old 02-08-2018, 05:08 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
The new 5-0 is rubbish. Just a buddy cop show with none of the charm and originality of the original. It shares the same title and location and thats all. Jack Lord was an infinitely better actor than this bunch.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
I love the new five o.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The new 5-0 is rubbish. Just a buddy cop show with none of the charm and originality of the original. It shares the same title and location and thats all. Jack Lord was an infinitely better actor than this bunch.
Yes the show is horrible (to me) I loved the original.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:

I can probably give you a direct answer in a week or so. I have those seasons on order.

In another season, there is an episode called "Nightmare Road". As I recall, the show opens up, with the curl of the wave and the "Hawaii 5-0" coming out from the distance, announcing the show.

Then we have a few minutes of the show where the ploy is laid to set the scientist "down the road" and Ronald Long is playing the villain and shows the underhandedness of it all. From that, the music picks up in tension and then, the credits kick in with their soundtrack.

"Nightmare Road" was season 2 and it ran 50 minutes. "Hawaii Five-O" Nightmare Road (TV Episode 1970) - IMDb

These days, shows are at 40 minutes. I was watching the 1st episode of "Emerald City" a week ago and the clock on the DVD put it at 40 minutes.

So, is it any wonder? Actually, it is worse than that. Things done in syndication often are snipped everywhere to make more room for commercials.

At the turn of the century, I was watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker on Sci Fi Channel and I wasn't enjoying it like when I saw it on ABC in the mid 70s. Was it that I was no longer a child or that I knew the story already?

When I got the complete episodes off Amazon, I saw what had happened. Shown on syndication, they had snipped the story, snipped out the parts that had all the tension building elements. What was shown was the basic story with nothing that made it exciting.

So be aware of that.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 PM

My 5th season came in so I checked it out and, we-ll.........

The test was "Hawaii Five-O" You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich - But It Helps. (TV Episode 1972) - IMDb and you are right, it starts right off with the intro music. When the show starts, it takes several minutes for the title to appear, to say who was the director. The episode is 50ish minutes long.

So I checked out 4th season with "Hawaii Five-O" ...And I Want Some Candy and a Gun That Shoots (TV Episode 1971) - IMDb and that started out as I noted with "Nightmare Road". Quick wave and title, 6 minutes of teaser, main music, main story with the title card up front.

I did go back and check "Nightmare Road". Quick wave and title, 4:20 of teaser, main music, main story with the title card up front.

In all cases, the episode is right around 50 minutes long.

So in answer to your question, it seems about 5th season, they changed how they did things. Of also to note is that season 1-4 had Zulu as Kono but in 5th season, he was replaced by Al Harrington as Ben.

A great show. I now have seasons 1-8, 12.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times
Thank you Tamara - I wonder why they changed it so that there's no teaser. Unusual.

I just saw the worst new H5O ever. McGarrett and another cop got stabbed in the back with a really big knife and it seemed like it only hurt a little. Then they were thrown into the ocean and swam around, finally using a long rope made of seaweed. A few days later they were walking around as if nothing had happened. It was also filled with vague ideas copied from Silence of the Lambs.

About the opening titles - they are only 30 seconds. In the original, they are 60.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you Tamara - I wonder why they changed it so that there's no teaser. Unusual.

I just saw the worst new H5O ever. McGarrett and another cop got stabbed in the back with a really big knife and it seemed like it only hurt a little. Then they were thrown into the ocean and swam around, finally using a long rope made of seaweed. A few days later they were walking around as if nothing had happened. It was also filled with vague ideas copied from Silence of the Lambs.

About the opening titles - they are only 30 seconds. In the original, they are 60.
You're welcome.

As far as the new H5O goes, I took a glance at it years ago, turned it off, and never looked back.

I don't quite remember why I turned it off only that it didn't strike me as being H5O.

So, to me, I suppose it is a pretty show in Hawaii.......but it isn't Hawaii 5-O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV