Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,948,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically whenever my friends want to a watch movie they will always resort to Netflix to find one but where is hardly anything on there. When I feel like watching a certain movie and do a search, Netflix, always I mean always comes up empty.

Some movies I like that I searched for. Speed, not on there. King Kong (any version), not on there, not even the 2005 one. The Artist from 2011, not on there... The Battle of Algiers, not on there. Not even The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, was on there, and I could go on and on, but there is hardly anything on there, literally.

Most of the movies on there are movies you don't even hear of. Foreign films, or independent films, but most of the indie films on there are actually quite bad. There standard seems to be that anyone shot a movie for 500 dollars, regardless of story quality, they will buy it.

And I like some foreign films, but if it's movie you never even hear of, it makes for a limit selection, cause most of the time I like to watch movies that people have actually heard of.

But what do you think? Why is it so popular to the point where video stores and HMV are gone now?
Most people use Netflix to binge watch TV shows which is why Netflix is investing in producing there own TV shows and trying hold on to the licenses for all the content they can show. I think in the next ten years or so all entertainment will be streaming based and a few big players Netflix, Hulu, Disney, CBS will slug it out in the battle to acquire content and produce it.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,646,352 times
We watch Netflix probably more than anything else. First, no commercials. Second, we don’t watch that many movies any more. We much prefer to find a TV series that can hold our attention. Netflix has a ton of those. We got on a kick a few months back and watched a number of Korean TV series. We always watch now with subtitles anyway so no bother there.

It was interesting, the Korean series, the cultural differences sometimes added a new dimension to what was going on. We watched one series about an emotionless detective that was gradually accumulating evidence of serious misconduct about his boss. His boss would alternatively be angry with him and yet encourage him to continue. It didn’t make sense to us until the final episode and was largely based on an enexpected plan that probably would never had been hatched in western culture.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,257,144 times
Quote:
Basically whenever my friends want to a watch movie they will always resort to Netflix to find one but where is hardly anything on there. When I feel like watching a certain movie and do a search, Netflix, always I mean always comes up empty.
Some movies I like that I searched for. Speed, not on there. King Kong (any version), not on there, not even the 2005 one. The Artist from 2011, not on there... The Battle of Algiers, not on there. Not even The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, was on there, and I could go on and on, but there is hardly anything on there, literally.
I would suggest there is a huge difference between "there isn't anything on there" and "I can't find a small list of specific films". I have about 20 movies in my list right now.

If you have a specific list I doubt there is any service with a monthly fee that will have them all.
For a specific list you need to plan on paying a la carte. I think your expectations are unrealistic these days with all the streaming competition.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 AM

I find this site a pretty good source for where I can watch something

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provide...le-play-movies

Just type in your movie or TV show in the upper right side search box and hit the magnifying glass.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,400,658 times
Someone estimated the size of the Netflix catalog and determined that Netflix has the following content, expressed in terms of how long it would take to view it all:

3 years, 202 days, 12 hours, and 14 minutes.

Surely you can find something to occupy yourself for 90 minutes once or twice a week there.

Netflix Statistics

Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,512,361 times
Quote:

Most of the movies on there are movies you don't even hear of. Foreign films, or independent films, but most of the indie films on there are actually quite bad. There standard seems to be that anyone shot a movie for 500 dollars, regardless of story quality, they will buy it.

And I like some foreign films, but if it's movie you never even hear of, it makes for a limit selection, cause most of the time I like to watch movies that people have actually heard of.

But what do you think? Why is it so popular to the point where video stores and HMV are gone now?
Check out https://instantwatcher.com/

It shows every tv show and movie that Netflix has.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:30 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,740,801 times
I feel like this is another one of your posts that if you spent ten seconds reading the board you'd know the anwer.

Netflix has tons of movies but if you think to your self "I want to watch X movie" chances are they wont have it. Hell I have HBO, Cinemax, Flix, Starz,Showtime, and The Movie Channel and I cant do that today with them either.

If you want something that is "what I want when I want it" then you should go with Prime and expext to pay $3-$4 for it. Netflix is better for "I want to watch this genre movie". For that there are tons of titles.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,570 times
Roughly a week after the Obummers announcement I cancelled my subscription

Old 07-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Roughly a week after the Obummers announcement I cancelled my subscription
correlation and causation are not the same thing so you need to clarify.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:11 AM

24,721 posts, read 9,524,597 times
TV shows, Netflix original tv shows, and documentaries. That’s the reason Netflix is popular plus it had a huge head start with building a loyal fan base.

Netflix never had a good selection of movies. YouTube is actually offering subscription services now and they have far endless content from big and small content creators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV