Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times

Advertisements

This is not going to be for everyone. But I love the 2 hour pilot

from wikipedia

Dietland is the debut novel by Sarai Walker that was first published on May 26, 2015 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.[1] The novel explores the beauty industry and society's obsession with weight loss.[3] A television adaptation of the novel by Marti Noxon premiered on June 4, 2018, on AMC; Joy Nash plays the role of the lead character, Plum.[4]
he novel follows Plum Kettle, a 300-pound ghostwriter for the advice column of popular teen magazine Daisy Chain. Plum fantasizes about being thin and after years of failed diet plans, schedules an appointment for weight loss surgery. While awaiting her surgery date, Plum finds herself recruited by an underground feminist cabal known as "Calliope House".[5] Meanwhile, a guerrilla group known as "Jennifer" begins carrying out increasingly violent acts of vigilante justice against those who mistreat women, and Plum soon finds herself at the center of a sinister plot.[1]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 09:28 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
I loved the book and recommended it on the Book sub-forum sometime last year. I thought at the time that it would great movie, but am wondering how it will do as a series. Is it a limited number of episodes?

I did watch the pilot and enjoyed it very much. Visually it was amazingly well done, and the acting is great!

I think I'm over the trope of a female protagonist's "gay best friend", though. I think it's kind of in the realm of the "Magical Negro" stock character. In real life how many women actually have this perfect male non-sexual partner? I'll bet not many.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
I think it's fascinating that no one's really watching this show. I have my theories why . . . people (especially women) are so sensitive about the topic of weight that they are probably afraid to be caught watching it or to discuss the issues it brings up. Also, it's perceived as a "women's" show so most men wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Having read the book first, I'll say it really would have been better as a movie. This series seems pretty slow moving, though it is visually amazing. I LOVE the graphics.

For those who haven't been brave enough to take a look at the show - the theme is really just that no one should tell anyone else how to look or be. That could be either the diet industry (which makes billions out of women's fears about how they look), or the "Fat is Beautiful" people (is it really?), or just other human beings who might either love you or harass you or prevent you from doing what you want simply because of the way you look.

Or maybe the theme is just that the American sociocultural behaviors focused around weight bring up strong emotions in people - fear, anger, disgust, pain, and etc.

Actually, the book is hilarious. There's a murder sub-plot, and more action than one might think. To some degree this tv series is funny, too, but again, I think it would have been better as a 2ish hour movie rather than episodic tv.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
I caught the first two episodes. Not my usual fare, considering how many shows compete for my time, but it was kind of cool. I may check out more later to see how consistent it is. Not enough hours, etc.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
I didn't like it. I stopped watching mid-way through the 4th episode. I "get" the camp/tongue in cheek style, but the characters are too cliched. The gay friend and the main character's annoying mother were just too stereotypical for my taste. The show looks like it is trying too hard to be contemporary. Maybe, the book is better.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:24 AM

861 posts, read 1,148,081 times
Wife and I quit watching after the third episode. Too slow for us. And seeing Juliana Margulies looking like she was rescued from Auchwitz was disturbing.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:38 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
[quote=TerryDactyls;52284079]Wife and I quit watching after the third episode. Too slow for us. And seeing Juliana Margulies looking like she was rescued from Auchwitz was disturbing.[/QUOTE]

LOL. She looked like a Kabuki performer.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:09 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
I'm still loving it. Some of the plot lines are kooky but buried in there is a lot of truth about weight, being female in general and weight again.

The dating thing was spot on. The way you get assessed differently if you are heavy, the treatment you get.
The bangable stuff...just all great true commentary without it being some dry feminist manifesto.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,342,690 times
I'm watching it. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Plum is an interesting, likeable character. I like some of the storylines. Some storylines are a bit odd. I can understand why people aren't watching.

I'm tempted to read the book.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 AM

98 posts, read 137,522 times
I started watching this show a few days ago. We've watched 3 episodes so far. It is very different, but it's got a ton of truth to it. Watching the first episode, I thought that Kitty was some vapid airhead. But as the show goes along, you realize that she's not an airhead-just a somewhat intelligent woman who's too caught up in the superficial.
The scene in Episode 3 with Plum making out with the tiger was a little weird, but I like her character. I'll probably go ahead and keep watching. I'm really curious to see how the Jennifer thing plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV