Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 03:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Having negotiated the mental health system in NJ with my spouse's issues, it failed her like it did the women in the film. My wife is stable due to my care and support but far from cured.

Perhaps there is no "cure". However for a short time she was taking three medications that seemed to alleviate all her symptoms. However she decided to stop taking them and there was nothing I could do about it.
How was any of this a failure of the system? Did you want the system to force your wife to take medication? We should eliminate the rights of the mentally ill? Do you know the history of abuse of the mentally ill or of those perceived to be mentally ill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 04:04 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How was any of this a failure of the system? Did you want the system to force your wife to take medication? We should eliminate the rights of the mentally ill? Do you know the history of abuse of the mentally ill or of those perceived to be mentally ill?
sometimes the system will force medication. but in the instance i was involved with another person had to lose their life before that happened. it took several hospitalizations and a death to get to that point. the death was totally accidental and no charges were ever filed. court ordered medications were also continued and required as a condition of eventual release from a state hospital and continued until that person also died, about 20 years later, which was about 5 years ago.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

This is another good point because it's that history of abuse which, in part, led to elimination of involuntary commitment in this country. (Andrea Yates, the criminally insane, etc....I'm not referring to them.) Someone with, say, psychosis, who's refused to be medicated --as an adult--presents a challenging situation. Provided they're not a danger to themselves or others, they have a right to self-determination. Even if the disease precludes making what professionals consider to be the right decision.

The film was followed by a roundtable discussion of some of these issues.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Great film, well made and interesting. Didn't enjoy the roundtable, however. And what was with that lady's earrings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV