Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

The Parents Television Council is blasting affiliates that broadcast The Oprah Winfrey Show for failing to properly inform viewers of the content of an episode focusing on sex therapy.

Last week, an episode of Oprah titled "Behind Closed Doors: Sex Therapy" was aired.

'Oprah' under fire for 'adult-themed' program (OneNewsNow.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
There is no way I would ever let a child watch any Oprah show. Maybe her show needs to change time slots and get something worth watching at the 4 P. M. time.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
Well the Oprah show is on at different times in different markets, although she has enough stroke that she can, and may well dictate when it is aired. Since it's not a show for kids I doubt if many kids watch any. Besides, who cares what the PTC says anyway?

The PTC is made up primarily of right wingers (although their new boss is a Democrat) who speak out of one side of their mouths about "personal and parental repsonsibility" and out of the other about how THEY should be the arbiters of what we watch.

I've never seen a TV that didn't have an "on-off" switch and I doubt many kids are buying the TV or paying the cable bill.

golfgod

Old 11-30-2008, 11:05 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Well the Oprah show is on at different times in different markets, although she has enough stroke that she can, and may well dictate when it is aired. Since it's not a show for kids I doubt if many kids watch any. Besides, who cares what the PTC says anyway?

The PTC is made up primarily of right wingers (although their new boss is a Democrat) who speak out of one side of their mouths about "personal and parental repsonsibility" and out of the other about how THEY should be the arbiters of what we watch.

I've never seen a TV that didn't have an "on-off" switch and I doubt many kids are buying the TV or paying the cable bill.

golfgod
Right. I've found the right wingers see nothing wrong with violent shows; i.e., Chuck Norris, but the minute anything involving sex they're up in arms. The Janet Jackson sideshow is being heard by the SCOTUS. Ridiculous.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
.... PTC is made up primarily of right wingers ... who speak out of one side of their mouths about "personal and parental repsonsibility" and out of the other about how THEY should be the arbiters of what we watch. golfgod
That's what I thought when I read the O.P.... here we go again, another bunch of fear-mongering, sky is falling, GOP wingnut fund raising hypocrites .... hypocrites as in "you can't talk about REAL issues that affect people's lives, but WE can show all the violence and killing and gore that WE want."

When it comes to anything to do with sex, the wingnuts demonize it, try to keep it in the dark, under the surface, all done with the intent of controlling people with ignorance of sexual functioning, plus tons of guilt, shame and fear about everything that has anything to do with sex. There are MANY BILLIONS of dollars at stake in the annual donations of "the faithful" and the only way the churches can keep that money rolling in is to keep people fearful and feeling guilty about their own bodily functions. What a SCAM and how sad it is to see this soap opera played out each year on our national stage, while the rest of the world laughs at us for this nonsense. Now that we know the earth is NOT flat, that the sun does NOT revolve around our planet, that illnesses are caused by germs and NOT by our so-called "sins," about the only thing left for the church to use to control people with is the sex guilt trip - and that's why the church is obsessed with sex and keeps it in the news, so they can keep their free money rolling in. I call BS on religion.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
These people hoot and hollar about wanting smaller government, but parents be damned if they exert any control over what they watch in the privacy of their own homes. There were warnings before and during the show, that's adequate.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
Last time I checked, Oprah was a talk show for adults. The themes are not designed for children. As a parent, if you hear a topic that you feel is unsuitable for your children, why don't you SWITCH THE DAMN CHANNEL!!!??

Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,510 times
On the show Oprah kept warning parents that it was for adults and told them they should not have the kids in the room. If the parents don't listen to the advice, it's their fault their precious little angels heard it. If the kids are alone and see it, they can't be blamed for watching it. Of course they are going to be curious about such things. It's not like it's a bunch of myths or it's going to hurt them. It's facts and it's real. Get over it.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 AM

161 posts, read 370,684 times
they're not using words like p***y and d**k to describe body parts. Its adults talking about adult issues. Kids can find the same topics in health books at any library. But right-wingers make important issues taboo. Someone should invent a tv with an OFF button or something....

Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
Yeah this is the same bunch of morons who rant and rave about Janet Jackson's nipple. Even though NO ONE SAW IT, until they kept replaying their DVR. Just another bunch of attention whores, IMO.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV