Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times

Advertisements

I'm appalled: does MJ understand what he's selling?

There's a commercial with Magic Johnson selling "Rent-A-Center".
This is the biggest rip off in the universe!
They're selling air (dreams) to underfunded people (poor)...does he get it?
I hope not -- he's just ripping off people.

The Lord didn't save him for this (don't I sound like a born again? Me!)
Anyone have a direct line? To TL or MJ -- just keeping it real.
Response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM

109 posts, read 319,612 times
Selling out or cashing in?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
I agree with the OP. I mean, I'm not offended by it - he just wants a paycheck. But it's clear he's not such a thoughtful man. Rent-A-Center is one step above a Cash Checking business on the morality scale... sigh

Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
OK, Tom, you're right...but he's not.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM

347 posts, read 650,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TominLasVegas View Post
Selling out or cashing in?
Selling out. AFAIK, the man's a successful businessman with investments in all sorts of businesses. His most famous, of course, is his chain of movie theaters. So why does he need another paycheck, especially from such a scuzzy company?

For some, it can be said he was selling out when he was selling out with his chain of movie theaters marketed specifically to blacks. One of his strategies was to put more sugar into the soft drinks because blacks supposedly like sweeter drinks. In other words, he may have unwittingly pushed the black obesity levels higher with that move.

Make what you will of that, but you honestly can't say he's absolutely, positively selling out his community by marketing his movie theaters and concessions towards them. After all, he's simply catering to their demands when few other theater owners will.

But by promoting for Rent-A-Center, there is no question that he's selling out his community. If you don't know, Rent-A-Center is basically a "rent-to-own" scam marketed specifically to the poor and minorities. Some may say that the company gives opportunity for poor people to own decent furniture or electronics through the flexibility of multiple payments, but I don't. If you ever "rent-to-own" something from this company, you're going to pay way above MSRP by the time you actually own that piece of furniture.

The company exploits the poor and the stupid into thinking that they can live a middle-class living with nice couches and a modern entertainment system by simply doling out some of their money to the company. I can also go into a whole cultural rant on how poor blacks are pressured to pour money into electronics and nice living rooms instead of saving that money for something more important, but I won't. The point is: Shame on you, Magic Johnson.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM

109 posts, read 319,612 times
At least he isn't Gene Simmons yet. Can u imagine Magic Johnson coffins???

Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Magic should try being the spokes person for Durex, Trojan, lifestyles, etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV