Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM

257 posts, read 408,081 times

Advertisements

I noticed that most people on TV are pretty and live in a two-story house. They usually have good paying jobs, jobs the average man can't get. They bring over hot women who look upper-class. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
No, some live in posh apartments usually a loft.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:06 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,328,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
They usually have good paying jobs, jobs the average man can't get. They bring over hot women who look upper-class. Why is this?
Because nobody would enjoy watching people who live in dingy places?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM

265 posts, read 814,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I noticed that most people on TV are pretty and live in a two-story house. They usually have good paying jobs, jobs the average man can't get. They bring over hot women who look upper-class. Why is this?

It's generlly assumed that people are attracted to that which is attractive. With that being said, a series where ugly guys live in a dump, and bring home nasty looking girls probably wouldn't do too well in the ratings.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
I'm going to slightly hijack this and add my question: why is it that whenever someone makes a post-apocalyptic movie, TV show or documentary series, NONE of the main characters wear glasses or contact lenses and are in desperate need of supplies? We always have the diabetic or even the terminally ill person who will die heroically, but 50% of the population are short-sighted and yet somehow they never survive the catastrophe? Methinks I smell a conspiracy

Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,833,500 times
I thought it was funny when I watched "The Bucket List" and saw Morgan Freeman's "poor" character lived in a nice 2 story Pasadena craftsman home that would sell in real life for at least a couple million smackaroos.

I'm gonna get a little conspiracy theorist here, but I think it's by design. It serves to subtly get people to build feelings of inadequacy for what they have, and "encourage" them to want more.

Desire is the fuel for consumer culture and the media is all to eager to pile it on us in giant heaps. And our insatiable appetites mean big profits for some top of the heap manipulators.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,391 times
This is the media's way of telling us that we're all fat, ugly, and worthless. We need to have plastic surgery, lose weight, and find a lucrative job and a wealthy or well-to-do spouse. No, thanks...I think I prefer my unstable life!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,328,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
This is the media's way of telling us that we're all fat, ugly, and worthless. We need to have plastic surgery, lose weight, and find a lucrative job and a wealthy or well-to-do spouse. No, thanks...I think I prefer my unstable life!
Same here!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'm going to slightly hijack this and add my question: why is it that whenever someone makes a post-apocalyptic movie, TV show or documentary series, NONE of the main characters wear glasses or contact lenses and are in desperate need of supplies? We always have the diabetic or even the terminally ill person who will die heroically, but 50% of the population are short-sighted and yet somehow they never survive the catastrophe? Methinks I smell a conspiracy
I always wondered for shows like Lost or the post-apocalyptic scenarios, what are the ladies doing during that special time of the month? They obviously have access to razors, because their legs and pits are shaved. If the world was ending I might let that fall by the wayside a bit.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I always wondered for shows like Lost or the post-apocalyptic scenarios, what are the ladies doing during that special time of the month? They obviously have access to razors, because their legs and pits are shaved. If the world was ending I might let that fall by the wayside a bit.

And you never see them brush their teeth or wash their hair - have you noticed that? Evidently only beautiful people with laser treatments all over their bodies and an endless supply of drugs to control their metabolisms will survive the Apocalypse .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV