Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:01 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times

Advertisements

I don’t own a TV so I usually will catch up with Netflix if someone really recommends the show.

Rescue Me: it seemed OK for the first three and half seasons, but then just fell apart. The series can’t even follow a story line. Example: Tommy’s plopping down a years rent on a dumpy apartment and a few episodes later he’s moving into Lou’s even dumpier apartment and the dog is gone. I stopped watching two episodes into the fourth.

Weeds: It was interesting and funny for the first three seasons, but then it just went to crap. The storyline became too outrageous and stupid and yet again I stopped watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,653 times
Most cleverly conceived shows (there are so few) suffer from the same problem you describe. Usually by the second or third season, the catchy show pretense simply runs out of new ideas... It seems to be much worse on network TV than it is on HBO or the like. The network TV writers all seem to be pretty bad and the "message" in every show is similar.

I don't know how people can watch them personally.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,433 times
Have to say that I was so excited this fall with all the new shoes and every one of them pooped out for me. The only one still standing is Homeland and I can NOT wait for October to roll around. Yeah, TV is going downhill fast. If something does manage to be halfway decent you have to watch a half an hour of commercials and the really sad part is you watch the commercials just to find out the show is terrible. Oh well..

Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don’t own a TV so I usually will catch up with Netflix if someone really recommends the show.

Rescue Me: it seemed OK for the first three and half seasons, but then just fell apart. The series can’t even follow a story line. Example: Tommy’s plopping down a years rent on a dumpy apartment and a few episodes later he’s moving into Lou’s even dumpier apartment and the dog is gone. I stopped watching two episodes into the fourth.

Weeds: It was interesting and funny for the first three seasons, but then it just went to crap. The storyline became too outrageous and stupid and yet again I stopped watching.
The Office is currently falling apart as we speak.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM

105 posts, read 188,034 times
One that I just loved was from many years ago. It was called "American Gothic." It was actually written and directed by Shaun Cassidy. It took place in a small southern town where the Sheriff was the devil. The good was in a young boy and his dead sister guided him. Problem was, the evil Sheriff was the boy's father. He had raped his mother years before.

My best friend and I would not miss it. It lasted maybe 3 seasons. First season was wonderful. Second was pretty good but, you could see it unraveling. Third season, nothing made any sense anymore.

My friend bought me the entire series on DVD and we sat down over the course of a few days to watch all of them. We ended wondering what we had ever seen in it other than that first really good season.

Anyone else remember this one?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,743,239 times
Falcon Crest, the 1980s nighttime soap, started off really well. It was smart, funny, had a wonderful cast, and (mostly) great plots. But after about season five, things started being "tinkered with". Then they got "re-tooled". By season seven, the show was a shell of its former self, and the producers were basically overhauling the show every season, firing and hiring new actors and writers and switching storylines as if trying on clothes at JC Penney's. The final season (nine) is utterly unwatchable.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,600 times
Roseanne, Nip/Tuck, The Simpsons, The OC, Twin Peaks, Gilmore Girls to name a few.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.LouieGal View Post
One that I just loved was from many years ago. It was called "American Gothic." It was actually written and directed by Shaun Cassidy. It took place in a small southern town where the Sheriff was the devil. The good was in a young boy and his dead sister guided him. Problem was, the evil Sheriff was the boy's father. He had raped his mother years before.

My best friend and I would not miss it. It lasted maybe 3 seasons. First season was wonderful. Second was pretty good but, you could see it unraveling. Third season, nothing made any sense anymore.

My friend bought me the entire series on DVD and we sat down over the course of a few days to watch all of them. We ended wondering what we had ever seen in it other than that first really good season.

Anyone else remember this one?
Yes! Love American Gothic! But you're right, it just went south.
Remember... "someone's at the door". Whooo, creepy.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Who was that weird blond who was Ellen Degeneres' girlfriend? She got nutty in someone's yard... Can't remember her name but she had that show in "Alaska" and then left her husband, in real life, for the male lead.

I liked the show but it went downhill fast too.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,373 times
Dirty Sexy Money. It physically hurt to watch any episode after season 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV