Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM

132 posts, read 195,928 times

Advertisements

I know that Puerto Rican statehood is a pretty popular proposal in Puerto Rico and among some other groups outside Puerto Rico, but I was wondering what proponents of statehood think of the U.S. Virgin Islands. Should they be included in a new state with Puerto Rico, based on proximity? Should they be their own state? Should they not be included and remain a territory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
The problem is that the USVI is that it has a mainly Black population with an Afro-Caribbean-American culture and thus entirely different from the culture and population of Puerto Rico with it's strong Hispanic roots.

I believe the US Virgin Islands should remain a US territory for the time being. I would eventually like to see all US territories either become either full fledged states or directly incorporated territories. This idea of "unincorporated territories" belonging to but not part of the US is absurd in 2013.

Now Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands merging to form a single state (name to be determined) as proposed by Guam Governor Eddie Calvo and NMI Governor Bengino Fitnal is an entirely different issue and in my view it's a good idea although it remains controversial in the Marianas as the residents are afraid they will lose all their Federal funding to Guam with it's larger population.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Not sure people in the VI would be interested in shared statehood with Puerto Rico. IMO, VI people should remain separate, as they have their own identity which is historically & culturally different from Puerto Ricans. They tend to come/descend from numerous islands and represent a completely different mix of people who are likely not as pro-statehood anyway. Surely they could assimilate over time, but that probably wouldn't be favorable to them. Puerto Rico for them (unless of PR background)...is where they fly to go shopping, and then it's time to come home. LOL.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Not sure people in the VI would be interested in shared statehood with Puerto Rico. IMO, VI people should remain separate, as they have their own identity which is historically & culturally different from Puerto Ricans. They tend to come/descend from numerous islands and represent a completely different mix of people who are likely not as pro-statehood anyway. Surely they could assimilate over time, but that probably wouldn't be favorable to them. Puerto Rico for them (unless of PR background)...is where they fly to go shopping, and then it's time to come home. LOL.
Once every couple of years the "independence/statehood" proponents crawl out of the bush to wave their arms around and spout their rhetoric but they're a tiny minority and not supported by the majority which is content with the status quo. But you're right - the two cultures are completely different and I very much doubt that anything akin to a "shared statehood" would ever be embraced.

By the way, the days of flying to PR to go shopping are pretty much over and done with now that online shopping is here!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Once every couple of years the "independence/statehood" proponents crawl out of the bush to wave their arms around and spout their rhetoric but they're a tiny minority and not supported by the majority which is content with the status quo. But you're right - the two cultures are completely different and I very much doubt that anything akin to a "shared statehood" would ever be embraced.

By the way, the days of flying to PR to go shopping are pretty much over and done with now that online shopping is here!
Yea, it's quite unlikely that shared statehood would be desired by most in the VI or PR.

Oh yea, online shopping has changed things a lot, but I still know people who go to Puerto Rico to do major shopping. Some of my friends were big on online shopping while others still prefer to try clothes on. I would even go to Tutu Park & Havensight before shopping online. Perhaps I'm just picky though! LOL.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yea, it's quite unlikely that shared statehood would be desired by most in the VI or PR.

Oh yea, online shopping has changed things a lot, but I still know people who go to Puerto Rico to do major shopping. Some of my friends were big on online shopping while others still prefer to try clothes on. I would even go to Tutu Park & Havensight before shopping online. Perhaps I'm just picky though! LOL.
I'm from Puerto Rico specifically from Carolina where we have the Plaza las Américas and the Walmart Supercenter that everyone goes to. Almost every black person I've walked past talked like this

VI Accent TaG.wmv - YouTube

Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM

This is my all time favorite so far:

Virgin Islands Slap Chop V.I.!!!!!!!! - YouTube

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM

Hahaha! Unbrainwashed, I believe it! I miss that place. Wish I could get my hubby to move to with me.

STTRes, the Slap Chop is classic!!! Have you seen the cuss out? It's funny too.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM

132 posts, read 195,928 times
But really, how many other US states have totally homogeneous ethnic and cultural backgrounds? I think that were I a VIer, I might want to throw my hat in with the Puerto Ricans, since that might be the best bet at statehood for a long while.

And lol on the slap chop

Last edited by Asderfut; 01-31-2013 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: accidental post

Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
But really, how many other US states have totally homogeneous ethnic and cultural backgrounds? I think that were I a VIer, I might want to throw my hat in with the Puerto Ricans, since that might be the best bet at statehood for a long while.

And lol on the slap chop
Ah, but you see the majority isn't in the least bit interested in statehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories