Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:33 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What you wrote is also a puzzle. Americans retiring or living in Rincón probably have no children. And if they are of that age with kids they would probably send them to the English only schools in Condado.

Not ALL Catholics school are the same. Some are better than and pricier others. San Ignacio is a Jesuit school and has been the flagship in the island. Just like Georgetown Prep (another Jesuit school) in the DC area is the flagship school among many the others.
Your very aggressive in your writing, I was asking a legit question. Secondly, Your wrong about Rincon. Ton of X New Yorkers there with families. Thirdly, Very aware of the jesuit education. In NYC we have Fordham Prep, Xavier and the top school Regis. Fourthly, What's with the snarky comment that x pats cannot afford to send their offspring to a Jesuit school? 11k a year? Fordham Prep is 18k year so is Xavier.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
rincon to condado would be about a three hour commute at best. at some point you are gonna hit a tremendo tapon. i doubt anybody does that commute just to go to san ignacio.

people with money in the the area Norwood Boy is asking about would send their kids to Ramey or SESO if they are interested in their kids taking classes in english. there are also cheaper and/or newer alternatives but i know little about them - like the christian academy in the aguadilla area. otherwise they would send them to the private catholic schools like La Milagrosa in Mayaguez which has classes in spanish.

and its not always a question of where do expats send their kids but where do the college professors and professionals want to send their kids. such was the case for SESO being established in the Mayaguez area.

Either way, people with the money to do so, regardless of the language they want their kids classes to be in, send their kids to private schools.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Your very aggressive in your writing, I was asking a legit question. Secondly, Your wrong about Rincon. Ton of X New Yorkers there with families. Thirdly, Very aware of the jesuit education. In NYC we have Fordham Prep, Xavier and the top school Regis. Fourthly, What's with the snarky comment that x pats cannot afford to send their offspring to a Jesuit school? 11k a year? Fordham Prep is 18k year so is Xavier.

It is not the 11K a year. They would need to hire the Starship Enterprise to beam their kids to San Ignacio.

Had no idea Rincón was flooded with young professionals from NYC. Can you explain why are they moving from NYC to Rincón while they still have kids of school age?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is not the 11K a year. They would need to hire the Starship Enterprise to beam their kids to San Ignacio.

Had no idea Rincón was flooded with young professionals from NYC. Can you explain why are they moving from NYC to Rincón while they still have kids of school age?
COSTOS POR CONCEPTO DE MATRÍCULA Y PENSIÓN
$ 975.00 Matrícula. Esta tarifa no es reembolsable. (Familias nuevas: pagaderos el martes, 5 de febrero de 2014).
$ 875.00 Cuota de Infraestructura (construcción y conservación de los terrenos y edificios del Colegio), pagaderos el día de la matrícula. Esta cuota se cobra anualmente por familia.
$9,275.00 Pensión, pagaderos en o antes del martes, 3 de junio de 2014.
$11,125.00 Total.
El pago se puede efectuar con cheque de gerente o giro, tarjeta de débito, Visa, MasterCard y American Express. Por motivo de seguridad de nuestros estudiantes y empleados, no se aceptará efectivo.
En caso de necesidad, usted podrá diferir la cantidad de $4,275 del pago de pensión hasta el lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2014, con un cargo adicional de $100.00.

The power of google

Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
COSTOS POR CONCEPTO DE MATRÍCULA Y PENSIÓN
$ 975.00 Matrícula. Esta tarifa no es reembolsable. (Familias nuevas: pagaderos el martes, 5 de febrero de 2014).
$ 875.00 Cuota de Infraestructura (construcción y conservación de los terrenos y edificios del Colegio), pagaderos el día de la matrícula. Esta cuota se cobra anualmente por familia.
$9,275.00 Pensión, pagaderos en o antes del martes, 3 de junio de 2014.
$11,125.00 Total.
El pago se puede efectuar con cheque de gerente o giro, tarjeta de débito, Visa, MasterCard y American Express. Por motivo de seguridad de nuestros estudiantes y empleados, no se aceptará efectivo.
En caso de necesidad, usted podrá diferir la cantidad de $4,275 del pago de pensión hasta el lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2014, con un cargo adicional de $100.00.

The power of google
You did not answer why there are young American couples (from New York City) with school age kids moving to Rincón. Are these folks Nuyoricans?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM

I was answering your first question on the lunacy of 11k^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, like a lot of people tired of the cold. They are moving to the Caribbean. Check out Carribean Life on the travel channel. BTW huge surfing community from NYC relocated down to Rincon.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I was answering your first question on the lunacy of 11k^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, like a lot of people tired of the cold. They are moving to the Caribbean. Check out Carribean Life on the travel channel. BTW huge surfing community from NYC relocated down to Rincon.
There are not a lot of jobs in PR. However, if these are surfers I guess they can live on very little. I will stop by one of thee days.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 AM

77 posts, read 281,884 times
Norwood,

The reason unPescador and Julian658 backfired at you is because your initial response to my school post was very racist. At least that's how its read. Talking about white non-Hispanic populations is a big No-No. Puertorricans are very aware of their racial mix and we generally don't tolerate when people start differentiating between white, blacks, Hispanic, taino Indians, etc, etc...

We accept and are very welcoming to everyone that wants to call PR their home, but when we see that "white supremacy" attitude (even if you didn't mean it that way) we instantly backfire in rage. We are US citizens just like anyone from NYC or Idaho and there are many white skin, blonde and blue eyes puertorricans as well. So make the best of your time in the island and try to mingle with everybody. Don't limit yourself to a "white, non-Hispanic population" like you mentioned in your post.

Rincon is a beautiful place with a lot of stateside-americans calling it home after the 1968 World Surfing Championships that were held there. As for education of their children... I have no clue but some people here have given you several names of schools in the area. I went to San Ignacio and the affordability issue was brought up because of the distance from Rincon to San Juan not the actual $11K yearly price. You would have to have a Helicopter to have your kids go to San Ignacio while living in Rincon. I think that's were the confusion began. Jesuit schools statewide are a LOT more expensive than San Ignacio.

Have a great day.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Engineer View Post
Norwood,

The reason unPescador and Julian658 backfired at you is because your initial response to my school post was very racist. At least that's how its read. Talking about white non-Hispanic populations is a big No-No. Puertorricans are very aware of their racial mix and we generally don't tolerate when people start differentiating between white, blacks, Hispanic, taino Indians, etc, etc...

We accept and are very welcoming to everyone that wants to call PR their home, but when we see that "white supremacy" attitude (even if you didn't mean it that way) we instantly backfire in rage. We are US citizens just like anyone from NYC or Idaho and there are many white skin, blonde and blue eyes puertorricans as well. So make the best of your time in the island and try to mingle with everybody. Don't limit yourself to a "white, non-Hispanic population" like you mentioned in your post.

Rincon is a beautiful place with a lot of stateside-americans calling it home after the 1968 World Surfing Championships that were held there. As for education of their children... I have no clue but some people here have given you several names of schools in the area. I went to San Ignacio and the affordability issue was brought up because of the distance from Rincon to San Juan not the actual $11K yearly price. You would have to have a Helicopter to have your kids go to San Ignacio while living in Rincon. I think that's were the confusion began. Jesuit schools statewide are a LOT more expensive than San Ignacio.

Have a great day.
#1 I'm Puerto Rican! Secondly, What did I post racist? Please honestly, I enjoy reading about the Island and love the Island. My Mother is from Isabella and still has her family there. What comment was racist????????

Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
#1 I'm Puerto Rican! Secondly, What did I post racist? Please honestly, I enjoy reading about the Island and love the Island. My Mother is from Isabella and still has her family there. What comment was racist????????
I think you have adopted the American view on ethnicity and race-------- that is what ticked people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories