Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 06:59 AM

389 posts, read 804,193 times

Advertisements

How does someone from the US relocating to PR purchase health insurance?

I am retired but not old enough for medicare. It looks like ACA is not an option for PR.

How does one go about get health insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 10:00 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
Local providers. Triple-S , Humana, First Medical, and Plan de Socios Auxilio Mutuo being the larger ones. First and last one being two of the more popular household names down there.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
How does someone from the US relocating to PR purchase health insurance?

I am retired but not old enough for medicare. It looks like ACA is not an option for PR.

How does one go about get health insurance?
I turned 65 last year and you can use original Medicare or one of several Advantage programs that yield more services for less money.

I was only 61 when I moved here and found the private policies cheaper than in the US - comparable to ObamaCare with low income subsidies. If you have a decent income it will probably be a big improvement. I've had 3 different companies First Medical, Mennonita, and MCS. Also good in Triple-S which is an affiliate of Blue Cross Blue shield. If you are going to be hopping back and forth to USA mainland they have policies effective both places but for more expensive than island -only plans.

If you only occasional go to USA, I think all the plans will cover you to some extent in an emergency off the island. However they will pay no more than the same procedure in PR. EG you get hurt in San Francisco CA you are going to pay a lot more out of pocket than getting hurt in San Juan. Maybe pay nothing in Mexico City. There are dozens of private plans out of about 6 - 8 companies. Take your time and shop around. Some are better in certain localities than others. West Coast is a long way from San Juan so you don't want a plan were most of the preferred docs and hospitals are in The Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories