Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM

392 posts, read 704,062 times

Advertisements

City Roomâ„¢ - News In Brief - Durbin: Extending Unemployment Benefits Stimulates the Economy (http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=42716 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM

377 posts, read 588,776 times
He's just trying to make the republicans look bad for political gain. Republicans have already offered UB extension plans but the democrats (who have the majority in both houses) have shot them down because they were paid for. Democrats only want to pass unemployment if it means they don't have to tighten their belts elsewhere.

For the democrats it's better to not pass the unemployment because they can use that against the republicans in the November election. "These dirty republicans hate you!" This is what Durbin is doing. Leaving out the fact that republicans have already tried to get UB extensions passed.

For republicans it's better to pass the benefits but cut the deficit at the same time. This way they can show they care about the unemployed but can also do it by not hurting our country by raising the deficit. That's the best of both worlds--helping the unemployed while being simultaneously fiscally responsible. In a contentious election year, the democrats are not going to give the republicans that victory.

But I think someone will have to break, and in reality it's going to be the democrats who get the blame because each time they've been offered a chance to pass a paid for benefits bill, they've refused. They can't get the votes their way so they will have to yield to the paid-for version... or get blamed in November for using the unemployed as a political tool.

This can't drag out forever. This is like an old west standoff.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
He's just trying to make the republicans look bad for political gain. Republicans have already offered UB extension plans but the democrats (who have the majority in both houses) have shot them down because they were paid for. Democrats only want to pass unemployment if it means they don't have to tighten their belts elsewhere.

For the democrats it's better to not pass the unemployment because they can use that against the republicans in the November election. "These dirty republicans hate you!" This is what Durbin is doing. Leaving out the fact that republicans have already tried to get UB extensions passed.

For republicans it's better to pass the benefits but cut the deficit at the same time. This way they can show they care about the unemployed but can also do it by not hurting our country by raising the deficit. That's the best of both worlds--helping the unemployed while being simultaneously fiscally responsible. In a contentious election year, the democrats are not going to give the republicans that victory.

But I think someone will have to break, and in reality it's going to be the democrats who get the blame because each time they've been offered a chance to pass a paid for benefits bill, they've refused. They can't get the votes their way so they will have to yield to the paid-for version... or get blamed in November for using the unemployed as a political tool.

This can't drag out forever. This is like an old west standoff.
This.

It's not like Republicans are saying "nope, not gonna help". They've offered a plan and the Dems won't accept.

It's basically the two parties refusing to cooperate with one another in order to save face. And it's the American people who are paying for the price of their stubbornness.

I do love the headline though......and then nothing in the body of the story as a direct quote by Durbin. Interesting.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Right. It's best to extend these benefits now because I don't think either side can win politically on this issue. It's not a political issue to us but to them it is, they are not concerned about their physical survival, they will have a comfortable lifestyle thanks to our tax dollars. What they care about is staying in office.

This year the polls are leaning republican for the Nov. elections. Which means the republicans have a bit of power in this negotiation. They know the wind is at their sails because they are riding populist wave of smaller/more efficient/less wasteful spending. You know they have the power because the republicans who are traditionally considered moderate and tie breakers for the left are not siding with the left. When the most liberal republicans go against their normal voting habits, you know they are worried about keeping their jobs.

Having said all that, if the democrats decide that no, they will not pay for the benefits with stimulus bills or by otherwise trimming from somewhere else, there is a very, very good chance that they will get their wish of labeling republicans as people who only care about the rich and couldn't care less about the unemployed. Durbin's comments are a sign that they might be willing to just not pass the benefits in order to try to hurt the republicans. They are fighting for political survival and they will take anything that can help them.

BUT--in an election cycle that favors the right, there's a good chance the republicans can say "no, the democrats refused to vote for unemployment extensions even though we came up with a way to pay for them (and also kept those weekly $25 stimulus funds), and even offered an immediate 30 day extension so the unemployed could at least get another check while we hash out the details."

Remember that Reid said "30 days is not going to solve the problem." So at the very least, this check that we have just missed (or will miss) could technically be pinned on Reid for saying "thanks but no thanks on the next check."

Bottom line is that while both parties could benefit politically, the potential cost to either side is still too high, high enough to neutralize this debate. Both have equal chances as being considered as the party of not caring about the unemployed, and that is why this bill is still being debated and they haven't moved on to something else. They know they have to pass the extensions, they just don't want to be the first to flinch. But someone is going to flinch and we are going to get our stupid checks. Breathe a sigh of relief, and hate our political system even more than we do right now.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM

392 posts, read 704,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
This.

I do love the headline though......and then nothing in the body of the story as a direct quote by Durbin. Interesting.
actual quote is "It doesn't look good". Damn, I'm such a sensationalist!

FOXNews.com - Jobless Benefits 'Extender' Bill May Be on Life Support Amid Deficit Concerns

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM

31 posts, read 143,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
BUT--in an election cycle that favors the right, there's a good chance the republicans can say "no, the democrats refused to vote for unemployment extensions even though we came up with a way to pay for them (and also kept those weekly $25 stimulus funds), and even offered an immediate 30 day extension so the unemployed could at least get another check while we hash out the details.

This is what I don't get. Why is it that there has to be so much BS added into these deals and no way to pay for them from the dems, but the reps get nailed for "not helping" us because they refuse to pass something that isn't paid for. Why is it so hard to grasp that we need help, but we also need to be able to pay for it??

For the record, I lean kinda to the right, but I believe we the people need help right now. I see through the BS though, and can see it is ultimately the dems holding this up simply so the reps can't say "Look, we care". Or they just don't want to pay for it.

Just my 2 cents, carry on!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedblurr View Post
This is what I don't get. Why is it that there has to be so much BS added into these deals and no way to pay for them from the dems, but the reps get nailed for "not helping" us because they refuse to pass something that isn't paid for. Why is it so hard to grasp that we need help, but we also need to be able to pay for it??

For the record, I lean kinda to the right, but I believe we the people need help right now. I see through the BS though, and can see it is ultimately the dems holding this up simply so the reps can't say "Look, we care". Or they just don't want to pay for it.

Just my 2 cents, carry on!
Democrats need lots of money on hand to fund their big government programs. They just don't like the concept of taking money from one area, and putting it towards a more important area (with the exception of defense spending). So to pay for something they just raise taxes in order to leave their "nest egg" untouched. You have two diametrically opposed political philosophies at play here, which technically, should be a good thing for our country because it means that it's harder for the extremes of either side to always get their way. But we also have election years which are ugly and dirty and this is the perfect issue to play politics with. Except both sides know that there is a time-limit on how long you play politics with it. And it feels like this week is that time limit.

Remember there are lifetime members of either party who are unemployed right now and if anything could make them vote for the other side, it's when their survival is at stake.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 PM

One other point I should have mentioned. Democrats are in charge of the government right now, White House, Senate, Congress. I assume they want to keep their majority.

A failure to get these extensions through is saying "even though we are the political majority in power, we are powerless to pass crucial legislation that will help people in dire straits."

Blaming the republicans might help if the republicans have a majority, but with the democrats as a majority, it just makes democrats look inept, and unable to govern with their majority.

And they know it.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
Well -- I lean left on a lot of issues - but don't buy the team/sports analogy politics has turned into -- and my question is - why does this new-found fiscal responsibility have to hit the unemployed first? those who can least afford it and have the least resources to fight it? [maybe I answered my own question there] If you respond "well you gotta' start somewhere" - I can make a few suggestions on where else to start that won't further cripple an already beat up economy !

Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,183 times
Not sure how long you people been unemployed in this recession..but trust me..the republicans always gave unemployment benefit plans a hard time with delays galore over the last four years.

Way before the Auto,AIG, banks,investment firms (Wall street) bailouts...was the same crap they are doing now..nothing new.

Unemployment in congress is always at the bottom of the list always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment