Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 29,992 times

Advertisements

I am following my husband to Colorado for his job. If I can't find a job right away will I qualify for unemployment in Colorado?

I know when we did the same thing in UT they wouldn't give me unemployment benefits. But it seems like I read somewhere that they would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,423,552 times
Without knowing your state, there is no way to answer this....

Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM

810 posts, read 1,766,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Without knowing your state, there is no way to answer this....
Unfortunately I think every state is different I know here in CA it wouldn't work, especially if you quit your job.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,423,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Unfortunately I think every state is different I know here in CA it wouldn't work, especially if you quit your job.
Not at all true. In fact, CA is one of the states that allows you to quit and collect UI when you are quitting in order to keep the family together.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,830,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Not at all true. In fact, CA is one of the states that allows you to quit and collect UI when you are quitting in order to keep the family together.
Wow, that is a bit crazy. I can't imagine quitting a job and moving for your S.O. job to a different state and being able to collect, seems unfair. JMHO

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,241,481 times
I doubt it... you wouldn't have any wage information on file in the state

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,860,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I doubt it... you wouldn't have any wage information on file in the state
You file in the original state, Utah, you left/worked in. Due to Medical/Family/work issues, you can collect UI for leaving a company to be with your family. Document it, and show that your husband got a letter, or request his employer to give him an offer of the job in a new area at least 50 miles or more from your previous home.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM

9 posts, read 29,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
You file in the original state, Utah, you left/worked in. Due to Medical/Family/work issues, you can collect UI for leaving a company to be with your family. Document it, and show that your husband got a letter, or request his employer to give him an offer of the job in a new area at least 50 miles or more from your previous home.

thanks I will try that!

So, would the unemployment then come from UT not CO? Because when he transferred from northern UT to southern UT they would not give me the unemployment.

We just have to get out of UT as soon as we can. We hate it here.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyhar View Post
thanks I will try that!

So, would the unemployment then come from UT not CO? Because when he transferred from northern UT to southern UT they would not give me the unemployment.

We just have to get out of UT as soon as we can. We hate it here.
You would originally file on the UTAH, website, and they will transfer the follow up to colorado to help you find a new job. Im not sure of all the requirements in UT, but if you document that his job is transferring him, you should be eligible. File, and also make sure you told your last employer why you were leaving. You have to make sure that is on file otherwise they report you just quit.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Title 35A
Utah Workforce Services Code
Chapter 4
Employment Security Act
Section 405
Ineligibility for benefits.
35A-4-405.
Ineligibility for benefits.
Except as otherwise provided in Subsection (5), an individual is ineligible for benefits or for purposes of establishing a waiting period:
(1) (a) For the week in which the claimant left work voluntarily without good cause, if so found by the division, and for each week thereafter until the claimant has performed services in bona fide, covered employment and earned wages for those services equal to at least six times the claimant's weekly benefit amount.
(b) A claimant may not be denied eligibility for benefits if the claimant leaves work under circumstances where it would be contrary to equity and good conscience to impose a disqualification.
(c) Using available information from employers and the claimant, the division shall consider for the purposes of this chapter the reasonableness of the claimant's actions, and the extent to which the actions evidence a genuine continuing attachment to the labor market in reaching a determination of whether the ineligibility of a claimant is contrary to equity and good conscience.
(d) Except as provided in Subsection
(1)(e), a claimant who has left work voluntarily to accompany or follow the claimant's spouse to a new locality does so without good cause for purposes of this Subsection
(1).(e) A claimant who has left work voluntarily to accompany or follow the claimant's spouse to a new locality does so with good cause for purposes of this Subsection
(1) and is eligible to receive benefits if:
(i) the claimant's spouse is a member of the United States armed forces and the claimant's spouse has been relocated by a full-time assignment scheduled to last at least 180 days while on:
(A) active duty as defined in 10 U.S.C. Sec. 101(d)(1); or
(B) active guard or reserve duty as defined in 10 U.S.C. Sec. 101(d)(6);
(ii) it is impractical as determined by the division for the claimant to commute to the previous work from the new locality;
(iii) the claimant left work voluntarily no earlier than 15 days before the scheduled start date of the spouse's active-duty assignment; and
(iv) the claimant otherwise meets and follows the eligibility and reporting requirements of this chapter, including registering for work with the division or, if the claimant has relocated to another state, the equivalent agency of that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment