Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM

32 posts, read 181,336 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered. My eyes are too tired to go searching through all the old posts for the info and I can't find anything that makes sense on the EDD website. I am not asking about the tiers, I am specifically asking about the FED-ED extended benefits. I will run out of my 4th tier early Nov so am curious if anyone knows about the EB situation in California. Oh and do you know if you can still work PT and receive benefits like you do on the tiers or do you need to be completely unemployed and looking? Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,842 times
You would need a crystal ball to answer this question as congress must vote on extending it out. If you want my opinion I say it will happen at some point but that's just my opinion.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM

163 posts, read 713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegna40 View Post
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered. My eyes are too tired to go searching through all the old posts for the info and I can't find anything that makes sense on the EDD website. I am not asking about the tiers, I am specifically asking about the FED-ED extended benefits. I will run out of my 4th tier early Nov so am curious if anyone knows about the EB situation in California. Oh and do you know if you can still work PT and receive benefits like you do on the tiers or do you need to be completely unemployed and looking? Thanks again for your help.
My (ex) co-workers and myself are in your same boat. We will all run out of our 4th extension about 1/2 through Nov. The way I read it is that unless the FED ED in CA is 100% paid for by the FED's, CA does not pay out after the Nov. 29th. Soooooooo- in order for all of us in CA to collect on the 20 weeks of EB- the date needs to be pushed out to at least March 2011. But, even if it is just pushed out 90 days, that still gives us until February 2011 to collect something in hopes of the market finally opening up. I send out in excess of 60 resumes a week and not even so much as a 'thanks for your resume'. Never in 27 years has this happened to me. Worse case scenario, I'll be waiting tables again cuz I refuse to lose my house. Cars are paid for so no one can take those....but my house? ???

I am hoping for this scenario at the very least........Although at Tier V would be great and very much needed, I still would hope for this, too.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks Bettebup, that's what I thought but wasn't sure so Thank you again for your kind info. Yes OhGreat I know we all need this info but I was reading another thread about some States are going into December and some States that will pay for it while States like California unless funded will not pay out past the deadline. That's what I was asking even though I wasn't 100% clear.

Good Luck to both of you, hope something happens soon!

Old 09-25-2010, 08:10 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,842 times
Yea it seems states have different cutoff dates when it comes to EB but they usually are not more then a couple of weeks off the Federal Date of the extension. So in all reality your still going to need them to vote on extending the extension out to get all your EB weeks.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 64,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
My (ex) co-workers and myself are in your same boat. We will all run out of our 4th extension about 1/2 through Nov. The way I read it is that unless the FED ED in CA is 100% paid for by the FED's, CA does not pay out after the Nov. 29th. Soooooooo- in order for all of us in CA to collect on the 20 weeks of EB- the date needs to be pushed out to at least March 2011. But, even if it is just pushed out 90 days, that still gives us until February 2011 to collect something in hopes of the market finally opening up. I send out in excess of 60 resumes a week and not even so much as a 'thanks for your resume'. Never in 27 years has this happened to me. Worse case scenario, I'll be waiting tables again cuz I refuse to lose my house. Cars are paid for so no one can take those....but my house? ???

I am hoping for this scenario at the very least........Although at Tier V would be great and very much needed, I still would hope for this, too.
That's not what EDD told me. Here is the email from them when I asked:

From: eddinternetmail@edd.ca.gov <eddinternetmail@edd.ca.gov>
Subject: EDD Responds
Category:
Unemployment Insurance Benefits

You wrote us the following:
Reference Number: xxxxxxxxxx Can I please get a more definitive answer to my original question? My Tier 4 extension is due to expire on November 20, 2010 at which time your website states it will automatically file the Fed_Ed extension for me. If my Fed-Ed is filed before November 30, 2010 will I receive all 20 weeks or will payments end November 30, 2010?

Here is our reply:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX You will receive full benefit of 20 weeks if it is approved. November 30, 2010 was just the deadline for all extensions. Best regards,

Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM

163 posts, read 713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payme View Post
That's not what EDD told me. Here is the email from them when I asked:

From: eddinternetmail@edd.ca.gov <eddinternetmail@edd.ca.gov>
Subject: EDD Responds
Category:
Unemployment Insurance Benefits

You wrote us the following:
Reference Number: xxxxxxxxxx Can I please get a more definitive answer to my original question? My Tier 4 extension is due to expire on November 20, 2010 at which time your website states it will automatically file the Fed_Ed extension for me. If my Fed-Ed is filed before November 30, 2010 will I receive all 20 weeks or will payments end November 30, 2010?

Here is our reply:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX You will receive full benefit of 20 weeks if it is approved. November 30, 2010 was just the deadline for all extensions. Best regards,

Hi Payme-

As stated in my response- "The way I read it".

I called and spoke to EDD the Friday before the senate approved the filing date out to Nov. 30th because my Tier 2 had completed and I was not able to move to Tier 3 until the date for filing was pushed out, so I was with no income until this thing was extended out and the gal told me that CA does not pay out on EB when it is not 100% funded and unless the deadline is extended, there are no payments on EB.

There seems to be conflicting information as to exactly how CA handles the EB. They are not all operating on the same page, it seems.

Thanks for posting this- now at least there may be an alternative to what I was told but now reading the website once again- You could be right (I sure hope you are). The strange thing is that the last time the dates expired, CA did not pay out on EB unless it was 100% funded and only during the valid dates.

This is whats on the Website:
Impact for FED-ED Extension Customers

About 145,000 of all customers who experienced disruptions in extension benefits are those who were collecting on the separate extension called the FED-ED extension in California. Due to the lapse in benefit re-authorization, FED-ED benefits had to be abruptly halted in early June. The new federal legislation allows FED-ED benefits to resume. As long as California continues to meet the unemployment requirement to file FED-ED extensions, EDD can continue filing new FED-ED extensions that provide up to 20 additional weeks of benefits. The FED-ED claim must begin by November 30, 2010.
  • EDD was able to quickly process many of the claim forms we had already received from these impacted claimants before the new federal legislation was approved. Over the few weeks since, EDD has sent further claim forms to potentially eligible clients and has processed completed forms received back from these customers. It typically takes just a day or two to issue payments to eligible customers once their claim forms are received.
  • Retroactive benefits cannot be paid in one lump sum, but rather in two-week increments. Checks are being issued in succession dating back to periods of eligibility from June 13, 2010, forward for each week a properly completed claim form is received.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks Payme as that was my next question. If able to start by Nov. 30th do you get ALL 20 weeks of the EB or is that it? Because I know if you're on the tiers or original claim you continue your weeks no matter where you are when the deadline comes along but with the EB I wasn't sure how that worked. Bettyebup is right that there is so much conflicting information and the website really doesn't explain anything. My FED-ED claim will begin by Nov. 30th but I need all 20 weeks so I am worried that 1) California will not continue it unless 100% funded which you can't find any answer on their stupid website or 2) It will end on Nov. 30th regardless if you have just started your EB. I'm waiting on a background check for a retail position and i'm afraid something is going to come up and I will get denied the job. I have never had a background check take over a week. I have no criminal background, did not lie on my resume. My only worry is my crappy credit score which if they deny a job because of that I will be upset. Good grief the job is min wage. Sorry, got off topic.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Hello Bette!

I emailed 3 different times and got the same response. I can never make sense of their website since it has so much outdated info.

Another email reply I got from them said that according to their records I should be receiving the Fed-Ed (if approved) through to April 24th, 2011.

Hoping for all our sakes they are correct.
Also hoping I am posting in the right place as to not pizz off a certain poster who chases me around and narcs if it doesn't like what I say
Good luck to you!

Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegna40 View Post
Thanks Payme as that was my next question. If able to start by Nov. 30th do you get ALL 20 weeks of the EB or is that it? Because I know if you're on the tiers or original claim you continue your weeks no matter where you are when the deadline comes along but with the EB I wasn't sure how that worked. Bettyebup is right that there is so much conflicting information and the website really doesn't explain anything. My FED-ED claim will begin by Nov. 30th but I need all 20 weeks so I am worried that 1) California will not continue it unless 100% funded which you can't find any answer on their stupid website or 2) It will end on Nov. 30th regardless if you have just started your EB. I'm waiting on a background check for a retail position and i'm afraid something is going to come up and I will get denied the job. I have never had a background check take over a week. I have no criminal background, did not lie on my resume. My only worry is my crappy credit score which if they deny a job because of that I will be upset. Good grief the job is min wage. Sorry, got off topic.
Hi Alegna!

I only go to their website to email them. In the drop down menu for email chose "other or suggestions". The rest give somewhat auto replies.

I have in the past big time background checks and yet I am not hired or offered a job by anyone. Credit scores can affect your application but it's very doubtful you'll ever know what it was if not offered the job. Good luck to you though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment