Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Braunwyn,

I disagree regarding the skill-set issue. I've read many stories, from folks over 45 who applied for jobs, that were NOT above their qualifications. It wouldn't make any sense, for ANYONE to apply for jobs, that they would be underqualified for, or overqualified for, for that matter.

And I wouldn't expect the government, to provide a benefits program that equals $4K per month. This program that I'm suggesting, would be need-based. Meaning, that those who have acquired assets, and/or other sources of household income, to keep them afloat financially, wouldn't be eligible. The program would ONLY be for those, who would be destitute without it.
Well, the money in this case wouldn't be any different than the monies collected via welfare. I suppose it just comes down to extending welfare qualifications. Either way, that life sucks. When I was in college one of the buildings I rented from accepted section 8 folk. We paid the full rent for our hole ($800/mo at that time), but there were many that only paid 30% on their checks. It was such a miserable place to live, but that's exactly the kind of space that is created by government benefits - projects.

Any way, I was just watching this 60 minutes segment if you have the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwpdGyIY2fQ&feature

It's very depressing. These folk are >50 yrs of age coming from silicon valley where they were earning good money. As I've mentioned in the past, this recession is certainly influencing my future plans as I suspect it will for a lot of people.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Hey Braunwyn,

My suggested benefits plan, wouldn't have to be like Welfare. If a person is already in their apartment, they could get eviction prevention assistance, as part of the program. I wasn't suggesting that everybody had to leave their current place, to live in a Section 8 'hole'.

I'm glad that you're giving your future plans, serious consideration. The way things are going with this economy, you will definitely need to. And I wish you the very best of luck, in your future endeavors.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Hey Braunwyn,

My suggested benefits plan, wouldn't have to be like Welfare. If a person is already in their apartment, they could get eviction prevention assistance, as part of the program. I wasn't suggesting that everybody had to leave their current place, to live in a Section 8 'hole'.
Well, in my neck of the woods what's affordable via government assistance are holes. It's not the space itself, but the people. Poverty does funky things to people.

Quote:
I'm glad that you're giving your future plans, serious consideration. The way things are going with this economy, you will definitely need to. And I wish you the very best of luck, in your future endeavors.
Thanks. I just started a thread addressing the topic. I'm thinking of that older guy with the beautiful home living in San Jose who was earning $200k. The urge to upgrade is strong when the money is coming in, but given this current mess maybe folk will learn to resist it.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Hey Braunwyn,

If the government would work to eliminate widespread poverty, like it did in the 60s, then poor people wouldn't have to act up. I think what may have to happen, is another round of 60s-style riots. Only this time, the spark would be poverty, and not civil rights.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Hey Braunwyn,

If the government would work to eliminate widespread poverty, like it did in the 60s, then poor people wouldn't have to act up. I think what may have to happen, is another round of 60s-style riots. Only this time, the spark would be poverty, and not civil rights.
Maybe that would do something, tho, I think altering lifestyles and expectations are going to be a major player as well. The housing bubble and subsequent crash speaks to that. So many were living month to month before the recession and others requiring two incomes for the 'dream'. Granted, that's certainly not the case for the millions living in states where they can't even find low level jobs. That's more depression than recession.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Studies have shown that people who are short, obese, or unattractive have harder times finding employment as well. Should we have a special package for them as well?

What about by race?

In fact if you are a 55 year old short fat ugly black woman you should be allowed to automatically choose any job you want, limit once per year.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Hey slackjaw,

The reason that I thought of a special program for those over 45, is because they make-up the bulk of the long-term unemployed. But maybe you're right. Perhaps we should let everybody who can't find a job, get in on the special benefits program. After all, NOBODY should have to starve in the streets, if they can't find work in our wealthy country.

And, as someone who IS a black woman over 45, who happens to be sort of pudgy, then maybe I should get first dibs, on any benefits offered, if I can't find work!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:12 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Hey AnthonyB,

Obviously, age discrimination IS a probmlem, since most of the long-term unemployed, happen to be over 45.

Age discrimination as it stands now is a result of high unemployment, where employers can choose the 30 year old over the 55 year old with health issues when 200 people are applying for a job. I want to see efforts directed towards fixing the systemic problem, not keeping people as they are.

And how do the unemployed live, when their benefits have run out, and it may take the government years, to correct the 'structural' problems of the system??

Food stamps, charity assistance/shelters, selling everything and moving to a higher employment area, creative entrepreneurship, families moving in together, unemployed banding together job sharing. I realize that sounds callous and I realize that I am just as exposed as anyone else, with my last job hunt being a long hard slog over a year. I also realize that there is only so much that can be doled out and I am a liberal in favor of universal healthcare, not some hard nosed tea partier. Some things such as the systemic change in our economy just don't have a quick fix.

My program, is all about keeping people surviving, until they find jobs, or become old enough, to collect SS. This country needs to make a committment, to it's poor unfortunate citizens. Yes, we all KNOW that life is unfair. Does that mean that the unemployed should be allowed to starve??

I don't want to see the unemployed starve and I don't like or want people to be homeless. I'd be in favor of a New Deal style program to rebuild infrastructure and put people to work in a constructive way. I'd be in favor of assisting people to move to areas with more jobs. I'd be in favor of even assisting companies to bring jobs back onshore even though that smacks of corporate welfare. I'm not in favor of what you are suggesting which is essentially a massive long term extension of welfare for one class of people that maintains their failing status quo. You also didn't respond to my question about other discriminated classes of people - such as the ugly and the obese.

And if the country didn't have the money to spend, then how come they ALWAYS have billions, to spend on everything BUT social programs?? So that's a no-brainer! If you have a better idea, to save people without financial resources from destitution, then I'd sure like to hear about it!

The governments biggest expenses outside of defense are Social Security and Medicare. I'd call those social programs wouldn't you? Followed afterwards by Welfare, Medicaid and Education. More social programs. I think that TARP was a boondoggle as is the money being thrown at Fannie and Freddie to prop up the housing market which is going to crash anyway, another social program. Corporate welfare is a mess, which is justified as "bringing jobs" to different states. The corporations are blackmailing us but that could also be considered a social program in a loose way.

Exactly where do you think all this magical money is going? I'll paraphrase - SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!. You still haven't done this.

See above, although I feel you don't really want to directly respond to my reply or address my questions.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
The governments biggest expenses outside of defense are Social Security and Medicare. I'd call those social programs wouldn't you? Followed afterwards by Welfare, Medicaid and Education. More social programs. I think that TARP was a boondoggle as is the money being thrown at Fannie and Freddie to prop up the housing market which is going to crash anyway, another social program. Corporate welfare is a mess, which is justified as "bringing jobs" to different states. The corporations are blackmailing us but that could also be considered a social program in a loose way.
This is a very good point and one folk might forget. I know I do. I hope it's addressed.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Hey AnthonyB,

I DID respond to your last post, so don't accuse me of evading your responses. The government can definitely raise taxes on the rich, to fund a stronger safety net. And they can also slash the military budget. They just have to want to do that. I also think that the least that our government can do, is create a public works program, which they've talked and talked about, but haven't done. This was what Franklin Roosevelt did, during the depression in the 1930s. And it worked.

And as I've said a gagillian times, I focused on those over 45, because they make-up the majority of the long-term unemployed now. If the obese, or blacks, or other oppressed groups, want to get in on a special benefits program, then so be it. I certainly wouldn't be against it. As long as employers have the power to discriminate against ANYONE, then we could use a special benefits program!

Bravo to those who can afford to move, where there are supposedly more jobs. But what if you can't? What if you can't sell your house, or break your apartment lease? What if you have no family or friends, who are in a position to help you? What if you have no savings or assets, to fall back on? What if you have no start-up capital, and can't acquire any, to do anything of an entreprenual nature? What then??

As for corporations, government spending on them, can't be considered a social program. So I don't know how you came up with that idea! And, as I've said, my solution to finding money for a special benefit program, to help the long-term unemployed is: slash the defense budget to pieces, and raise taxes on the wealthy. You think that you can grasp that concept??

Last edited by artwomyn; 11-06-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment