Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,512 times

Advertisements

I was laid off in Oct of 2009 and collected unemployment. I found a job in October of 2010 and worked for 6 weeks; new management came in and laid me and a few others off again. Based on the amount of money I made during that month and a half and I am now on a 17 week state claim again. One woman I spoke to at unemployment today said that at the end of March, I was done unless they did extensions again. I was under the impression that extensions had gone through. I sat on hold with unemployment for two hours and spoke to a man who said that when my claim ends at the end of March, they will reopen my old claim and I will go back into Tier 2. Anyone know for sure what happens?? I'm going to try and call again tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

13 posts, read 62,927 times
This should help!!!

Also, check out www.NELP.org Do some homework and you will know the law better than the unemployment office :-) !!! Don't let them push your around....they tend to blow a lot of untruthful/uneducated smoke.

So basically, you should continue for up to another year on your previous claim even though you worked....depending on the state that you are in you could get up to the 99 total weeks. Ask around to others who know a LOT on this site!

[SIZE=2] Monday, August 16, 2010 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]HR 4213 Fixes UI Benefit Consequences for Part-Time or Temporary Workers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Lori Roberts, Senior Manager of the TALX Government Relations group explains the “fix” in HR 4213 related to part-time or temporary work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The federal UI extension legislation signed by President Obama on July 22, 2010 (HR 4213), contains a provision to "fix" an unintended consequence regarding regular UI benefits and federal EUC (Emergency Unemployment Compensation) in instances where claimants had part-time or temporary employment. Under the newly enacted legislation, states have four options to continue payment of EUC instead of regular UI in certain instances. Please note, the state agency chooses the option; claimants do not choose the option.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The unintended consequence can occur when an EUC claimant can establish a second benefit year and is eligible for regular UI due to part-time or temporary work. Under the second benefit year claim, many claimants were qualifying for a lower weekly unemployment benefit amount than they received for EUC or their original regular UI claim, because the part-time/temporary earnings were lower than their earnings used to establish the original claim.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]In order to "fix" this unintended consequence, Section 502 of HR 4213 provides for the following options for continued payment of EUC instead of regular UI[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If—[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]‘‘(A) an individual has been determined to be entitled to emergency unemployment compensation with respect to a benefit year,‘‘(B) that benefit year has expired,‘‘(C) that individual has remaining entitlement to emergency unemployment compensation with respect to that benefit year, and‘‘(D) that individual would qualify for a new benefit year in which the weekly benefit amount of regular compensation is at least either $100 or 25 percent less than the individual’s weekly benefit amount in the benefit year referred to in subparagraph (A), then the State shall determine eligibility for compensation as provided in paragraph (2).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]“(A)The State shall, if permitted by State law, establish a new benefit year, but defer the payment of regular compensation with respect to that new benefit year until exhaustion of all emergency unemployment compensation payable with respect to the benefit year referred to in paragraph (1)(A); ‘‘(B) The State shall, if permitted by State law, defer the establishment of a new benefit year (which uses all the wages and employment which would have been used to establish a benefit year but for the application of this paragraph), until exhaustion of all emergency unemployment compensation payable with respect to the benefit year referred to in paragraph(1)(A); ‘‘(C) The State shall pay, if permitted by State law— ‘‘(i) regular compensation equal to the weekly benefit amount established under the new benefit year, and‘‘(ii) emergency unemployment compensation equal to the difference between that weekly benefit amount and the weekly benefit amount for the expired benefit year; or ‘‘(D) The State shall determine rights to emergency unemployment compensation without regard to any rights to regular compensation if the individual elects to not file a claim for regular compensation under the new benefit year.’’.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Three key points to keep in mind about the "fix" and the options: 1) A "fix" is only applicable to claimants whose regular weekly UI benefit amount in the new benefit year would be at least either $100 or 25% less than their original weekly UI amount; 2) the legislative provisions are not retroactive and only apply to claimants whose benefit years expire after the date the legislation was enacted (July 22, 2010); and 3) only state UI agencies may choose one of the four available options, not claimants; a state must only choose one option and apply it to all applicable claimants.[/SIZE]

Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,896 times
once you exhaust your new claim, you will go back to your old extensions

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
once you exhaust your new claim, you will go back to your old extensions
Correct. And you remain eligible for those extensions until December 31, 2011. By my reckoning, you should have up to another 27 weeks' tier benefits available on your first claim, which should carry you through October, 2011, assuming your state unemployment rate triggers tier IV.

Also, what state are you in? Some states grant tier and EB eligibility if the claim exceeds 16 weeks. If that is so in your state, you may be eligible for additional tier and EB benefits on this second claim until December 31, 2011.

The first woman you spoke to was incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment