Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 PM

58 posts, read 322,296 times

Advertisements

I don't know what everyone's story is, but in my case, I admit that I believe that something is wrong with me, as evidenced first of all by my inability to form normal social relationships: I'm a loner and have never had a girlfriend. There is also a large discrepancy between my school performance and my performance in the real world. In high school I was ridiculed because people could not believe that I was a good student. It was painful to be good at something but not be able to receive proper credit, and I would venture to say that I was actually penalized for being good at something. As far as employment is concerned, I am not better off than a high school dropout, and I have never had a job that I felt I could not be doing without a college degree. In other words, the jobs that I have had after I graduated from college are jobs almost anyone with a pulse and a minimum amount of brain activity could do. Let's blame it on my stupid BA, but what else was I supposed to go for, a BS? I doubt it would have made a difference. But now, back to the present, I could get a master's degree, but who am I going to fool? The day of the interview the thing that matters is your street smarts, how well you articulate thoughts, how clearly you communicate, how quickly you can think, and so on. I have never been good at those things (see the part where I mentioned that I was ridiculed in high school). So while I think that I would be able to obtain a master's degree if I put my mind to it, I believe that the master's degree would ultimately be no more useful than my bachelor's degree. A master's degree just means that you were able to complete academic coursework, it doesn't mean that you have a very high IQ or even that you learned what you studied, since anyone can memorize the material, pass a test, and then forget it. The master's degree doesn't even mean that you would be a good employee, because if it were the case that a degree makes a person a good employee perhaps I would actually have a career at this point in my life (I'm 30). So as I was saying, there was a time when I thought I was perfectly normal, but now it's obvious that there is something wrong with me. But there is nothing unnatural about the fact that there is something wrong with me. Some people have something wrong with them but that's just the way life is.

Last edited by FFestus; 11-25-2010 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Have you ever given any thought that you might have Asperger's? People who have Asperger's are usually highly intelligent but have extremely poor social skills.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
I'm being serious, it sounds like you need a hug. It also sounds as though you're quite discouraged, which I don't blame you. In terms of a Master's degree, it depends on which field you majored in and what you want to do in life. If you majored in English and want to be a journalist, then a Bachelors and some experience is what you need instead of a Masters degree. If you majored in Psychology, then try to skip the Master's and go straight for a PhD (yes, you can do that if you're really good). I have a friend in Biology and a friend in History who went straight for their PhD's because they knew their careers depended on it.

Also, if all people who were socially awkward were not hired by employers then I think the number of unemployment would be much, much higher. I think it depends on the employer and what he/she expects out of you. For example, my brother is a nice guy but he hates dealing with customers, so they always make sure he works in the back. He's a friendly guy, but he does not like to talk to people he does not know. So, he always works in the back with a few co-workers instead of dealing with customers. No, his job is not something most people want to do, but he is working and they value him so much they beg him not to quit whenever he decides he wants to do something else.

In other words, hang in there and keep trying. Sooner or later you will either find something that fits or even create your own job. I know it sounds far-fetched, but I've seen quite a few people who decided to start their own business, start working as contractors or freelancers, etc.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Have you ever given any thought that you might have Asperger's? People who have Asperger's are usually highly intelligent but have extremely poor social skills.
This is excellent advice. Have you been examined by a mental health professional? The fourteen threads (or is it 15 by now, it's hard to keep up) you have created in the last day or so would indicate ADD - i.e., a highly active mind unable to focus on any one subject for longer than a minute or two.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFestus View Post
A master's degree just means that you were able to complete academic coursework, it doesn't mean that you have a very high IQ or even that you learned what you studied, since anyone can memorize the material, pass a test, and then forget it.
I don't know how all programs work, but my graduate degree required MUCH more than taking tests - actually, I only recall taking 2-3 tests throughout the program. Instead we had to do projects, research papers, field work or internships (not required but highly recommended), and a final 40-page term paper to graduate. I even had one class that was entirely discussion-based, and we were graded maybe 20% on one essay and 80% on class participation. So it does show some level of skill beyond test taking, and requires a critical mind to finish satisfactorily... usually the degree isn't awarded until you prove these abilities, and submit a final thesis/paper/project which is approved by a panel.

Anyway, as "kattwoman" already said, its usefulness also depends on which specific degree you get. A Master's in Russian poetry might not get you anywhere, but an MBA or Master's in Social Work (for example) definitely would open some doors. It also gives you an edge in ANY field, especially if the majority of applicants do not have post-graduate degrees. Finally, graduate school usually offers internship opportunities, which are extremely useful in the real world... gives you a solid resume entry, and relevant experience within that degree's intended field. I did a 2-semester internship with a public library (studying to be a librarian), and found it even more useful than all of my classwork combined.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:05 AM

126 posts, read 467,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is excellent advice. Have you been examined by a mental health professional? The fourteen threads (or is it 15 by now, it's hard to keep up) you have created in the last day or so would indicate ADD - i.e., a highly active mind unable to focus on any one subject for longer than a minute or two.
Yeah, FFestus might have had a bit too much Thanksgiving wine?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I did a 2-semester internship with a public library (studying to be a librarian), and found it even more useful than all of my classwork combined.
You need a master's degree to be a librarian?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
You need a master's degree to be a librarian?
The most over-asked question I hear... and the answer is YES. Do you know what librarians do in their jobs? Not being snarky, I'm asking honestly if you understand our responsibilities. It's actually a great job, and the "market" is definitely picking up as of recently.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The most over-asked question I hear... and the answer is YES. Do you know what librarians do in their jobs?
They organize books and help people find those books.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
They organize books and help people find those books.
Not quite... and that would only describe about 10% of our job, if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment