Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 PM

177 posts, read 417,568 times

Advertisements

If there is ever a reason extended benefits would be denied after placing your new claim as instructed at the BYE date, do they send you a letter or something to let you know you won't recieve any thing at all? (so plans of some kind can be made)

I have a friend who is so scared each day watching the balance dwindle to one more week left. This is now a little over a year that she has been on unemployment. I'd like to give an answer that would be helpful because watching what is happening to her state of mind constantly applying for jobs and getting no offers is difficult, so I appreciate anyone who might have that answer to the question, is a person notified of denial of extended benefits?

Thanks for any info on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 PM

25,617 posts, read 56,662,556 times
If your friend has not worked during the previous benefit year, her application for a new claim will be denied, the old claim reopened and she will continue to collect EUC extensions. EB - or Extended Benefits - are available after all EUC benefits have been exhausted. At this point, your friend is still collecting Tier II of the EUC extensions, not EB.

Generally, at the end of a benefit year, the correct procedure is to call to recertify the original claim - each state varies in its procedures.

If your friend receives a letter of denial, it may be routine correspondence issued prior to reopening the old claim. HOWEVER, she should still call or visit her NY unemployment office to verify her original claim has been reopened and her benefits will continue.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks Ariadne22, I think the thing that's worrisome about it is the fear that the extended benfits were denied and the account balance saying there is only 1 week left. I tried to look at it and explore the dept. of labor website, but couldn't find out if a person is notified whether or not they could go on extended benefits if needed. She did call them and was told not to pay attention to the balance as the sole information, since it comes in parts. I said that they would most likely send a notice if in fact she only has a week-- and now, no weeks, left, but was wondering if that's actually correct. It will probably be fine though. Thanks again for your info!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM

25,617 posts, read 56,662,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
Thanks Ariadne22, I think the thing that's worrisome about it is the fear that the extended benfits were denied and the account balance saying there is only 1 week left. I tried to look at it and explore the dept. of labor website, but couldn't find out if a person is notified whether or not they could go on extended benefits if needed. She did call them and was told not to pay attention to the balance as the sole information, since it comes in parts. I said that they would most likely send a notice if in fact she only has a week-- and now, no weeks, left, but was wondering if that's actually correct. It will probably be fine though. Thanks again for your info!
Your friend is not eligible for Extended Benefits at this point. If she mistakenly applied for Extended Benefits instead of a new claim at the end of her bye, this needs to be corrected. Standard procedure at the bye is to apply for a NEW claim. if she hasn't worked during her benefit year, that claim is denied, the old claim is reopened, and she continues to receive Emergency Unemployment Compensation benefits from Tier II.

There is a difference between EUC extensions and Extended Benefits. They are two different programs with different criteria. Extended Benefits require a separate application, in some cases there is a week or more delay for approval, and then work searches need to be submitted. Extended Benefits may be available only when the EUC tiers have been exhausted.

Again, if she actually applied for Extended Benefits, she needs to get this straightened out.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-02-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 PM

A new claim was applied for by phone as advised by the dept of labor itself, so hopefully things will be alright. Thank you for the information, it's hard to understand how it works sometimes. All I suggested is for her to continue to claim benefits, as long as a new claim application was completed I don't know what else can be done really other then to wait.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Just to add in case it's of help to someone else. The new claim was applied for at the B.Y.E. date 2 months ago. I guess whatever the extended benefits were, or tier, needed to wait until the balance read zero to begin into the next tier.

The balance did read "0", but then was adjusted this week into tier 3. So, much relief for that situation, hopefully a job is next.
Thanks for your input!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,983 times
my Benefit year of unemployment just ended on Sunday(6/19/2011 i live in new york state) and today i called today to file a new claim i was just wondering how long i can keep claiming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment